This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The ~Gael~ Poll - VDT

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

What impact will Gael's character have on VDT's plot/story?

Positive influence
30%
Negative influence
19%
No big deal one way or the other
22%
Can't decide
24%
Other, please share
6%

Total votes : 54

The ~Gael~ Poll - VDT

Postby GlimGlum » May 26, 2010 12:10 am

Now that the emotional dust has settled somewhat over the new character
Gael (played by Arabella Morton), I was wondering what people's attitude is
toward her with just over 6 months to go till we actually know.

I liked the idea from the beginning because after reading the book I always imagined Lucy making friends with a slave girl in the hold of the slave-ship. Professor Lewis states (referring to Lucy, Edmund, Reepicheep, and Eustace aboard Pug's slave-ship) that "they found many other unfortunate prisoners" and "the prisoners were mostly Galmians and Terebinthians."

So what do you think now, fair NarniaWebbers? Gael's original thread is still open here. Thanks for voting and commenting. :)

P.S. I did vote for a Positive influence. :D

EDIT: I added the words "plot/story" to the poll question in order to clarify the focus of the word "impact". B-)

Hopefully this elucidation will perpetuate responses of diminished opacity. :-o
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Re: The Gael Poll - VDT

Postby ForeverFan » May 26, 2010 12:18 pm

I think it will have a positive influence, especially if her storyline, from what we know of it so far, is handled correctly. For myself, that would mean her role and storyline not taking over the whole film (which I doubt it would), not changing key plot points towards the end with her presence, things such as that. I think that Gael and her storyline has potential, as a subplot (or even a sub-sub plot), to bring something- perhaps a little extra richness or depth, to the over all storyline. :)
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Re: The Gael Poll - VDT

Postby Liberty Hoffman » May 26, 2010 12:27 pm

I don't care one way or the other. I won't know for sure wether or not it will be positive or negative, but I think she's going to do just fine! :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Re: The ~Gael~ Poll - VDT

Postby MountainFireflower » May 26, 2010 2:27 pm

I really don't mind either way. I am rather excited to see what part she plays in the story, but I don't think she will greatly affect the main plot. I do think it is a good thing to have another girl on the ship - I always thought Lucy sounded rather alone when I first read the book.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » May 26, 2010 3:18 pm

I voted for no big deal one way or the other. She obviously wont have a lot of screen time where she talks or does something in my opinion. I'm sure she's there to have a young version look up to Queen Lucy and might drag a storyline of faith between the two. I honestly can't wait to see this new character in the film. ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby daughter of the King » May 26, 2010 5:38 pm

I can't decide what kind of impact I think she'll have. Her character could have a positive influence on the movie by emphasizing the emotional tone or helping to hold the story line together. Or her character could have a negative influence because her story might be cheesy or the emotional touchstones don't play very well or she could take away from Lucy's character development simply by being another female on board.
At the moment, I'm leaning towards a positive influence, but I really can't decide.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Lady Galadriel » May 26, 2010 5:49 pm

I voted that I cannot decide. A couple of months ago I thought she was going to have a larger part then I now think she actually will. If she is there to add an emotional effect to the story which would otherwise not be as interesting (for example, if she is there to emphasize the slavery plight of the Narnians), then I would go for a positive influence. If she is too big of a part in the story or if her character is too obviously cliche, I would say that it is a negative influence.
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ceppault » May 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Young Miss Morton has been mentioned by those having worked with her; she does a great job. :D

I think the presence of the character is going to remain divided for a while. ;))

I am not an adherent of rigidly sticking to the book. If Mr Apted has done a good job of weaving the character into the story, I will be good with it too. Opinion: this is going to work out very well.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby kittengirl » May 26, 2010 8:17 pm

Oh, I don't mind either way. I don't think she will affect anything much. She seems to be there mainly as a companion for Lucy till she finds her mother or something like that.

If you're a girl Christian Star Wars fan check this place out! http://thelakehouse.bigforumpro.com/
(Siggy by theprincessspy!)
kittengirl
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 28, 2010 5:13 pm

I went with "other, please share." It really depends on a lot of things. One being what is meant by "impact." I can read a lot of meaning into that one word. 8-| I tend to over think. :p If you mean if she will make a positive or negative impact to the plot, I would more than likely say negative because I like the plot the way it is in the book. If you mean if she will help or harm the sale of tickets / DVD, I would imagine that she would be popular among the general population (i.e. not the die hard Narnia fans). If you mean something more along the lines of "will she ruin the move or not," I would say that she won't ruin it. (My biggest concern was that she would ruin Lucy's scene with the magician's book. It seems pretty definite that she won't do that.)

As of now, I would much rather that she were not in the movie, since she is not in the book. However, I might end up liking her or not minding her. I'm not as upset about the addition as I was before. (I've moved on to being upset about other things. ;)) ).
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby GlimGlum » May 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:It really depends on a lot of things. One being what is meant by "impact." I can read a lot of meaning into that one word. 8-| I tend to over think. :p If you mean if she will make a positive or negative impact to the plot, I would more than likely say negative because I like the plot the way it is in the book.

More of a plot impact is what I had in mind. This poll is obviously for Narnia fans who know the story. Since most of the moviegoing public probably will not have read VDT, Gael's character will probably seem to be a natural part of the story and not an added character.

She would most likely only ruin the movie for book purists who end up not liking her. On the other hand, we all might end up liking her a lot and I or someone else will do a poll when VDT comes out to see what will be her actual affect on NarniaWebbers and on VDT as a movie. #:-s

Thanks for voting and commenting. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby coracle » May 28, 2010 9:49 pm

I think she will give the younger girls someone to identify with, she will add the "cute kid" factor that lots of films benefit from, she will inspire us with her courage and family love in a way that parallels Lucy's in earlier stories.
I'm trusting that her little storyline is short, so it hasn't required main story lines to be adjusted. And it also gives Lucy a female companion for a while on the ship. All those rough sailors, I don't know what a nice young lady like her is hanging out with them for!! ;)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby HighQueenofNarnia » May 29, 2010 5:40 pm

I liked the whole idea of Lucy being the only girl on board DT. But I voted positive influence anyway. I think that as long as she doesn't take over Lucy or go into the Magician's house instead of our beloved Queen, Gael will be great! And I don't mind the change- I actually had a positive attitude toward an added character! Now, that's saying something. I think that Gael will add the element of sweetness and innocence that was present in LWW and was lost in PC and won't be present in VotDT with Lucy.
Pray for Skandar member! PM Benjamin to join!
I saw the film on Opening Day!
When all else fails, read the Instructions!
HighQueenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Rezurii » Jun 02, 2010 7:04 am

Why exactly is 'Gael' in the movie?

~*EVIL NEVER LOOKED SO GOOD*~
Rezurii
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 02, 2010 12:56 pm

^^ we don't know yet.....hopefully the trailer will help us with her part in some way! :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Leah B. » Jun 09, 2010 3:26 pm

I think it could have a positive effect on the film, but I doubt it will take over the whole movie. Anyway, I don't think it will be horrible. (SO EXCITED!!!)

NW triplet to Bartholmew and ForeverFan.

NW sis to Jadisfan356 and Horse_Lover

Leah B.
NarniaWeb Guru

Next