Casting suggestions for Puddleglum

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Casting suggestions for Puddleglum

Postby coracle » Jul 17, 2017 4:01 am

Cool! Then that would keep Bill Nighey available for Uncle Andrew in MN. :)
(There are several seriously good British actors who need to be snapped up for the rest of the Narnia films!)
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 26, 2017 3:52 am

Would anyone consider Geoffrey Rush? He certainly has the right sort of hair, at any rate. And the sort of sense of humour to do Mr Percival (a lovely, gorgeous pelican) in a remake of Storm Boy.
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SearchlightRG » Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Hope this isn’t considered thread necromancy...I doubt Aslan would approve...

I recently listened to the Silver Chair audiobook, and the way Puddleglum was read called James Nesbit to mind. He played Bofur in The Hobbit trilogy, but I think the makeup job and alternate costume for Puddleglum would help to disassociate the two.
"'s not as if you can do one special thing and that's it-it's what you go on being that matters." -Urchin, Urchin of the Riding Stars, The Mistmantle Chronicles by Margi McAllister (highly recommended)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Anfinwen » Mar 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Since Doug Jones was in the award winning "The Shape of Water", I wonder if he is more likely or less likely to land a role in Narnia. He's set to be in a movie that is in pre-production, but I suppose that could be worked around.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 15, 2018 4:01 pm

^I like the idea of Doug Jones as Puddleglum. I haven't seen much of his work, but I've been following him on Twitter since he tweeted about being interested in the role back in 2016. He just seems like a very friendly and genuine person and he describes himself as a dyed-in-the-wool Christian from the Midwest... I think those traits could make him better suited to play Puddleglum than other actors who might take a darker, more cynical approach. Of course he's not British, but I don't think that's the end of the world.
—The Rose-Tree Dryad, a.k.a. Rose @};-
NW sister to Melian_Maia, lover of narnia, Elanor and juzuma loves lucy + NW twin to MissRosario
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Eustace » Mar 16, 2018 4:40 pm

I assume we are talking about Doug Jones the actor and not the senator. I was confused when the senator came up first when I typed Doug Jones in Google.

I don't think Puddleglum has to be British, so the fact that he is American does not bother me. I also find it really cool that he wanted to do the part.

Now, I was looking through actors the other day and I thought that Stephen Merchant would be a good fit for the look of Puddleglum to me.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnia fan 7 » Mar 22, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm not completely sure I'd want Doug Jones to play Puddleglum. He's great at playing creatures with heavy make-up and stuff like that, if your looking for someone to physically play Puddleglum and have him look like described in the book Jones is probably the best choice. However I'm not sold on his acting ability, that's not too say he's a bad actor, but I think they could probably find with someone better.

I think it's more important that they find a great actor for Puddleglum rather than having him look as exactly like described in the book, of course those two things aren't mutually exclusive.
“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru