This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Epic Romance of Prince Caspain

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: The Epic Romance of Prince Caspain

Postby Trufflehunter » Dec 12, 2010 3:58 pm

I too was surprised by how little I was bothered by the Susan comment. I also took it to mean that he hadn't found a woman with the qualities of a Queen of Old Narnia...
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fireheart209 » Dec 12, 2010 8:37 pm

The Susan line didn't bother me-- it was ignorable. I didn't get that they were using that to set up the Lucy/jealousy angle--I guess it went over my head. Probably because I was trying to ignore that storyline also.

I did like how they put in the "I hope to see you again" from the book. And she smiles. But I really think they missed the boat by excluding the reference to Sleeping Beauty. I think Ben Barnes could have delivered the line very well indeed. You can't go wrong with a reference to a story that almost everyone will recognize and that many remember as a cherished childhood memory. Power of association. I think it would have made most people smile at the sweetness of it and Ben Barnes fangirls swoon in their seats.

Not to mention the fact that the line implies a deeper relationship between Caspian and the Pevensies than what we see. It implies that they have spent time trading stories about each other's world and lives. Just one line and it would have made the goodbye at the end of the world that much more poignant.
fireheart209
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Edmund_is_King » Dec 12, 2010 11:58 pm

damselJIllPole wrote:I don't agree with how you said he's still in love with her just by the way her bow and horn is displayed in his room. So is Peter's and Lucy's belongings

Well as the camera pans across the shot right before it you'll notice a mural on the wall and in the top left corner there is a picture of Susan... there were no other solo shots of the pevinsies shown.
And I'm a guy and if I say about girl none can compair to your beauty it would mean I was in love ;) :p Also if I wasn't in love I would have a picture of her on my wall ;)
I will admit I loved what I saw between Caspian and Lilliandil. They were neutral and natural. That's the way you should start a relationship.

I disagree the way 99% of relationships start is with mutiual atraction. It's ovious Caspian thinks she's pretty, don't know about the other way around. As far as it goes it looked like Edmund loved her just as much as Caspian. :-\
Like i said it was obviously the green mist that tempted Caspian in the first place. I mean lust is a temptation after all.

? no it's not there's no indications Caspian was at all tempted by the mist when he said what he said about Susan, that is completely unfounded :)
No it's just i don't want to get any bad ideas about the movie because I did like it a lot.

Not to seem mean but if you don't want to get negative ideas about the movie then this forum isn't the best place for you to be :)

~Edisk

NW bro of Atamar, Hoped4jill, and Georgiefan
NW Younger bro and servant of her highness Ti'ana
sig and ava by me
Edmund_is_King
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Narnian_Archer » Dec 13, 2010 9:09 am

I agree with Edmund_is_King. You're right--you're a guy, so you would know more about how these things work from a male perspective. :) :)
I was expecting more from the Caspian/Lilliandil relationship...but what can be done? It's out, and there's no changing it now. No use mulling over it. :) :) :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby PrincessMia241 » Dec 13, 2010 10:13 am

Ok really? The one thing they keep really close to the book in that there really isn't a romance at all, and you still complain about it? Goodness.

If they were gazing into each other's souls or doing full-on snogging (two worlds just collided) you'd be screaming about that! He's obviously star-struck: let it be :)
avy by narniagirl90
PrincessMia241
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Shantih » Dec 13, 2010 10:59 am

From the way this thread is going, it looks like I am going to have to repeat the mod note from the Susan vs Lilliandil thread.

Petty bickering and disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated, full stop. No trying to get around the rules, no veiled insults, nothing. Otherwise this thread will be closed.

Thank you.
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
Shantih
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ericnovak » Dec 13, 2010 1:45 pm

I wasn't aware that there were any threads like this one, as generally I like to keep my posts original- however, I see this subject has been hashed out several times before. Feel free to close the thread if you need to, Shantih.

As far as the point of this thread, it seems to have gotten off track.

The original point is that Fox could have expanded on the romance and didn't. This isn't exactly their fault, it's just that the movie is underdeveloped. Some people say that the romance is undeveloped in the book as well, but if you start reading at chapter XIV, you'll find that Caspian has a lot more time to study Lilliandil as they are on the island for almost two days, rather then there for just a few hours. The chapter ends on this note after a brief encounter with some guy named, "Pittencream" who ends up leaving Narnia and going to live in Calorman after the voyage:

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Chapter XIV wrote:"Lady" said Caspian, "I hope to speak with you again when I have broken the enchantments." And Ramandu's daughter looked at him and smiled.

Finally we see that there is a reason for Caspian to return to the Island of the Star, and that is simply because the three lords haven't been woken yet. They're part of the ending paragraph in the book:

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Ending Paragraph wrote:Only two more things need to be told. One is that Caspian and his men all came safely back to Ramandu's Island. And the three lords woke from their sleep. Caspian married Ramandu's daughter and they all reached Narnia in the end, and she became a great queen and the mother and grandmother of great kinds.

So yes, the book doesn't say much- but it leaves the door open for a lot more interaction.

Disney adds a romance, Fox culls a romance, lets just hope they don't make Eustace and Jill Pole fall in love. ;)
ericnovak
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Dec 13, 2010 1:52 pm

ericnovak most of the time that has to do with whoever edited the final film. Sometimes directors don't make decisions on what stays and what doesn't, sometimes they do.

I'm praying that your very last paragraph doesn't come true either!
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Dec 14, 2010 8:14 am

We have two topics open discussing the exact same thing here. ;)) Even though this one was opened first, I'm going to go ahead and close it for the other thread since it has a poll. I thought about merging the two together, but I think that'd make a huge mess, so yeah, gonna close this one. Please continue discussion here. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Previous