This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Chapter the Last: The Last Stage

There and Back Again—A Reader's Tale

Moderators: Pattertwigs Pal, coracle, Lady Arwen

Chapter the Last: The Last Stage

Postby Lady Arwen » Jan 26, 2013 7:12 pm

1. At the beginning of the book, Tolkien writes, “Well you will see if he gained anything in the end.” Do you think he gained anything? If yes, what?
2. What do you think about the way the Hobbits handled Bilbo’s return? What do you think of the way he dealt with the problems he found?
3. The death of the Master merits one last mention of dragon-sickness. Do you think that dragon-sickness was simply a love of gold, or is there more to it? Out of all those who were touched by it, who do you think dealt with it in the best manner, and why?

Overall, what do you think of the resolution to the story? Are there any changes/additions you would like to see? If so, what and why?
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Re: Chapter the Last: The Last Stage

Postby ValiantArcher » Apr 21, 2013 6:45 pm

1. Yes, Bilbo did! And more than just a mithril coat, Sting, and a chest of treasure (and the Ring!). ;)) He gained the friendship and respect of both Elves and Dwarves, and likely rose higher in Gandalf's respect too. He gained a lot of experience and perspective from his adventure. I think it made Bilbo more content at home in the Shire but also fed his wanderlust---he went on a number of trips yet, though mainly to Rivendell.

2. For the most part, the Hobbits were kind of disappointed and reluctant to acknowledge Bilbo; they really liked his possessions. ;))
Bilbo handled it all fairly well, though, I thought. Just coming back from a huge incident involving a missing family possession and a refusal to "buy" it back had caused a huge mess, his actions to just go ahead and buy some of his things back instead of fighting for them are very interesting. That little bit took on a whole new light for me this time. :)

3. I think dragon-sickness tends to be a specific consuming lust for whatever treasure you most desire; it tries to completely devour the ones it infests. Like the Ring, it seems to magnify and distort intrinsic flaws and desires in people.
Emm, besides Thorin and the Master, I can't remember who else was struck by it---does Bilbo count? :ymblushing: If so, Bilbo probably dealt with it best, which was probably at least partially due to his Hobbit nature.

Overall, it's a pretty good resolution. The quest was a success, Smaug was killed, some peace restored, the Goblins routed, and Bilbo made it home again safely. :)
However, yes, there are certainly some changes I would've liked! Mainly Thorin, Fili, and Kili living. :( I'm not sure this really needs a why, but here goes. ;)) Thorin had his problems certainly, stubbornness and pride, but he was also noble and could be kind and had repented of at least some of it before the end, and while they took back the Mountain for their kind, Thorin never got to enjoy it or a hard-earned rest besides the sleep of death. And then his nephews, so keen and young, one of whom at least should've been king after him, both died and Dain got the throne. Don't get me wrong, Dain seems to have been a good king, but it seems so wrong that neither Thorin nor his heirs became king, that that line ended.

Anyone else have thoughts? ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 20, 2013 6:29 pm

1. At the beginning of the book, Tolkien writes, “Well you will see if he gained anything in the end.” Do you think he gained anything? If yes, what?
Well, he gained experience. He made friends and came home with treasure. However, he had to give up much of the treasure.

2. What do you think about the way the Hobbits handled Bilbo’s return? What do you think of the way he dealt with the problems he found?
Many of them were quite unfair. I understand they were disappointed, but they should have given his belongings back for a refund. I wonder if Grubb, Grubb, and Burrows were part of the problem. They probably didn’t want to lose their cut. I wonder who would have been Bilbo’s heir. All four of Bungo’s siblings were still alive (if my math is correct). His cousins (I’m guessing Lobelia and Otho) were either planning on inheriting it or buying it. Bilbo had at least one other cousin. I suppose Bilbo could have left a will leaving things to the Sacksville-Baggins.

Bilbo came back to a hard situation. We don’t know details about how he handled it. It seems it turned out alright for him; he got most of his stuff back and he found a use for the treasure he was reluctant to take. I think he handled it fairly well.

3. The death of the Master merits one last mention of dragon-sickness. Do you think that dragon-sickness was simply a love of gold, or is there more to it? Out of all those who were touched by it, who do you think dealt with it in the best manner, and why?
I think it was more than a love of gold. Dragon’s gold intensifies one’s desire for gold (and other treasure). The more one loves treasure before encountering a dragon’s treasure the sicker they become after encountering it. That being said, I don’t think dragon-sickness releases one from responsibility for his actions. If you count Bilbo’s attraction to the Arkenstone as dragon-sickness, he handled it best because he gave up the stone and a claim on any of the treasure. If that doesn’t count, Thorin handled it best. He left his treasure unguarded to help fight the goblins. The master died a lonely, slow death because of his sickness so he did not handle it well.

Overall, what do you think of the resolution to the story? Are there any changes/additions you would like to see? If so, what and why?
Generally, I am pleased with the way Tolkien ended the story. I would have liked more details about Bilbo’s return because it would be entertaining to hear what the Hobbits said when they saw him and what he said. (Provided it is done well and accurately I would like the movie to show this in detail). If Tolkien were doing the additions, I would like to know more about Beorn. At the beginning of the story, he is suspicious and has to be tricked into hosting the dwarves and at the end he holds feasts and afterwards he became a great chief. It would be interesting to know what caused the change. (I would rather the movies not expand on Beorn.)
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Lady Arwen wrote:1. At the beginning of the book, Tolkien writes, “Well you will see if he gained anything in the end.” Do you think he gained anything? If yes, what?

Bravery. Respect - from others and from himself. Knowledge about hidden parts of himself that hadn't had the chance to come out yet. Knowledge of the world outside The Shire.

It definitely showed the greediness of his relatives, that gaining his possessions would be more on their mind than losing him.

I love the end. It has a serious, beautiful aspect to it as Bilbo comes home a better person from the long adventure. And it has a comedic edge to it as well, as he find that he's come home to yet another problem, what with his relatives and possessions. ;))

If I had to change/add anything, it would have been interesting to hear of some element of Frodo or Frodo's parents that foreshadows LOTR. But perhaps Tolkien hadn't been aware he would write LOTR at that time.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 31, 2013 9:56 pm

2. What do you think about the way the Hobbits handled Bilbo’s return?

Here there is some lighter comedy again, to balance out all the tragedy of the last chapters.
Bilbo was "Presumed Dead," and not everybody that said so was sorry to find the presumption wrong.

A little bit of irony mixed in as well ...

There is some greed in the picture here as well. Those who had got the best bargains from the sales, were the least willing to accept that they had been wrong.

And then Bilbo has lost his reputation - he's not as respectable any more, what with him mingling with Elves and Dwarves, and going on adventures.

Good that so many of his nephews and nieces accepted him, though.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum