This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

An Unexpected Journey: The Movie Version

There and Back Again—A Reader's Tale

Moderators: Pattertwigs Pal, coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: An Unexpected Journey: The Movie Version

Postby Rilian The Disenchanted » Jan 14, 2013 7:38 am

Just took a look at the boxoffice and the Hobbit is doing pretty good, except for Japan. It's really underperforming there. It's only at 15 million $ after 3 weeks (in comparison The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader made 30 million total and had a twice as big opening weekend). I'm going to watch it next week, now the theathres are not as crowded anymore.
Rilian The Disenchanted
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 17, 2013 1:28 am

It is top since release in australia, I am off to see it again on monday since my friend really wants to see it.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby lionsmane13 » Jan 27, 2013 10:25 am

I loved the movie; I quite enjoyed the additional content pulled from the appendices. I can’t wait for the next movie! I thought they did a good job blending the lighter tone of the Hobbit book, with the darker tone of the Lord of the Rings. Thorin is probably my favorite character; I love what they’ve done with him. He is a little different from the book version, but I quite like what they’ve done. I can’t wait to see Beorn and of course Smaug! I am Very curious to see what they are going to do with Azog.
lionsmane13
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby GlimGlum » Mar 15, 2013 1:23 pm

I went and saw the movie again this past Sunday in 2D and it looked really good. Saw some things I had missed the first time (first 25-30 minutes) in 3D which were visually impressive.

Overall I still think of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey as a pretty good movie that is technically excellent. Acting was good and the direction of the "adaptation" was very good as well.

On the down side, my opinion that Peter Jackson went overboard on some of the action sequences was reinforced. Especially in the Goblin cave and a bit during the "forest fire" scene. (The Eagles still looked good though.) :)

Here is hoping part two will improve on the first, which was pretty good as a movie but not the greatest adaptation ever. (IMHO.)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Purpleotter » Mar 15, 2013 2:38 pm

I saw this movie with my parents, brother and sister. I really liked the acting,visual effects, and the music in it. My favorite song in it is "Misty Mountains"
"Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen of Narnia"-Aslan
Purpleotter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Apr 19, 2013 10:09 pm

I viewed this movie again this evening, for the first time since it was in the cinema. Several people in our group hadn't seen it before.

I was able to enjoy the good parts more and (for the most part) more easily disregard the disappointing parts (especially Radagast and the action under the mountain). Just about all of the first 90 minutes or so, despite some changes, really are quite good.

My friends also liked it, on the whole, though several of them openly laughed at some of the roller-coaster type action under the mountain.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 01, 2013 9:19 pm

There were parts of the movie I loved, but I can't say I liked the movie overall.

What did I love? Martin Freeman as Bilbo. Perfect casting there. Also, the Riddles in the Dark scene was so much better than I ever imagined it would be.

The rest, for me, was mediocre at best. And sometimes I thought it was downright bad.

I think the digital look hurt it overall. It definitely makes it look more like a video game than real life. And when I'm in Middle Earth, I want to feel like I'm in Middle Earth. Not a computerized land.

A lot of the humor was cheesy, and sometimes unnecessarily crude. It caused a lot of facepalm moments for me.

There were a lot of scenes that really seemed to hold a lot of meaning when they were in the book, but fell flat for me in the movie even when they were completely accurate. I'm not sure if it was the context they were placed in, or if the acting wasn't right. But something felt off to me much of the time. For some reason, it seemed to lack the heart which makes the book endearing.

I liked it a lot more than VDT, but I do think it went down a similar path as VDT in the respect that it tried to be for children. Not the lovely child-like aspect that the book had, and which even adults can enjoy quite easily. But childishness. The sort of thing that's aimed specifically at children, and children only.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby UltimateSchweetWarrior » Jul 02, 2013 3:28 pm

It's been a few months since I last saw it, but I remember a few parts I liked. My favorite part was probably the part with the trolls when Bilbo said that they had parasites. That part was really funny. I also liked the part where Bilbo and Gandalf were talking and Bilbo kept saying "Good morning." I also liked that it included some of the things that happened in the past. I like it much better than I liked the book. The main thing I didn't like was how ugly the goblin king was. I mean, he was just...well, ugly. My favorite dwarfs were Thorin and Kili. Overall, it's one of my favorite movies.
UltimateSchweetWarrior
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 03, 2013 4:08 am

The main thing I didn't like was how ugly the goblin king was. I mean, he was just...well, ugly.

I rather liked the Goblin King, played by Barry Humphreys, precisely because the make-up artists made him so horribly ugly-looking. I couldn't think of a better actor to play the Goblin King in An Unexpected Journey. Barry Humphreys is the sort of actor who really does well with comically gruesome characters, such as you find in yearly pantomimes. One example would be Cinderella's ugly step mother, and another is his own invention, Edna Everidge, the mock 'average' housewife from Mooney Ponds, who likes gladiolis, iced vo-vo's and making fun of everywhere else in Australia as well as elsewhere in the world, whilst calling fellow Melburnians possums. Apparently Queen Elizabeth II of UK made this character an actual Dame, so now the character is called Dame Edna Everidge. :-o

I'm ever so glad that the Goblin King managed not to call either the hobbits or the goblins, possums, which would have really sent me into fits of laughter. But I don't remember seeing the Goblin King in the Hobbit as being at all comical.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Dinode » Jul 03, 2013 10:42 am

It has been a while since I've seen the movie too, but I loved it. Although there were some changes, they made sense in the adaptation sense, and they were more than made up for by the inclusion of scenes I really didn't think they could fit in an adaptation. Seriously, there are no words to express how excited I was for the dish song.

That said, looking at these posts I've been alerted to something I hadn't noticed before. When they explained the burial of The Witch King of Angmar I knew that it was different from the book, I just didn't realize it was also different from the LotR movie too. It pretty much throws out everything we know about the Ringwraiths, unless people didn't realize that he was a Nazgul in the same way they don't know the necromancer is Sauron.

I can only hope The Desolation of Smaug clears this up.
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 17, 2013 3:17 am

Having watched the movie again yesterday, Dinode, I think that people might very well think that "people didn't realize that he was a Nazgul in the same way they don't know the necromancer is Sauron". Sauron, after all, could waken a sleeping Nazgul, couldn't he? And yes, that is what appeared to happen in the LOTR indexes.

The second time around of watching this movie was interesting. I noticed Radagast's rabbits more. And actually I liked the idea of rabbits being useful creatures, apart from Akubra hats and rabbit pie, that is to say.

Does anyone know where the Desolation of Smaug finishes? Or what the third part of the Hobbit starts and ends?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 20, 2013 12:46 pm

I haven't seen anything to indicate where the break between the second and the third part of the movies will be.

I enjoyed the movie, although there are sections I'm less happy about. I've seen it three times in the theatre, and I've bought the DVD, but not watched it yet.

After three viewings, I've found that I've seen enough scenes of people almost falling down from swaying rocks/bridges/ropes - been there done that, I don't need another, thank you very much.

But there were scenes I loved. The Good morning scene between Gandalf and Bilbo - almost (or perhaps completely) verbatim from the book, and very well played. And the Riddles in the Dark between Bilbo and Gollum - brilliant. Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman both perform great acting.

Martin Freeman gives us a better Bilbo than the Frodo we were given in the LotR - probably because he has a lot more experience as an actor than Elijah Wood had at the time. But also because he was given more scope for acting - more time to develop a scene, as I especially noticed in the Good morning scene.

So although there are things I hope would be done differently in the next part, I still look very much forward to it.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Varnafinde wrote:After three viewings, I've found that I've seen enough scenes of people almost falling down from swaying rocks/bridges/ropes - been there done that, I don't need another, thank you very much.

Quite so, I agree that in the LOTR films it was spectacular viewing but is getting a bit hackneyed, isn't it? You find so many over the top (or is it under the bottom?) obstacle courses in everything from Indiana Jones to Pirates of the Caribbean films. Why make villainous antagonists slipshod builders as well as evil? 8-|

About the Witch King of Angmar, do you think he really died and was buried deep or was this something he staged, himself, at the point he finally realised he was getting a bit stretched and less visible to his men, without his armour?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 29, 2013 9:17 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:About the Witch King of Angmar, do you think he really died and was buried deep or was this something he staged, himself, at the point he finally realised he was getting a bit stretched and less visible to his men, without his armour?

He staged it himself - now that finally makes sense. ;)

He didn't really die and be buried, the whole point is that he was in an undead state, he was bound to the power of his ring and the power of Sauron. He couldn't die and ordinary weapons couldn't kill him - but only because ordinary life had been sucked out of him, NOT because he had been "resurrected" in any way. Any hinting of that in the movie just shows lack of understanding of the book.

But it might well be in his interest to have people think so!
Yes, it makes sense that he staged it, to make it easier to explain the changes that were happening to his body. And the longer time that passed since his staging it, the more it would be covered in the mist of legend, and the more people would believe that this is what actually happened.

Apart from those who knew about Sauron and his vices, of course.
Varnafinde

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Well, that is what I think anyway, and unless the two succeeding parts of 'The Hobbit' say something different, that will be my explanation for the Witch king. There was a Northern king who challenged him in battle, and that was when he said that no man could kill him. I found it in the detailed appendices of LOTR. Either that Northern king or maybe another one, died of a morgul wound, and did have a funeral. It is a while since I have read LOTR, so I really need to go back and look again.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 31, 2013 8:11 pm

I'm so glad to have an explanation of that phenomenon. It didn't make sense, but now it does.

waggawerewolf27 wrote:There was a Northern king who challenged him in battle, and that was when he said that no man could kill him. I found it in the detailed appendices of LOTR. Either that Northern king or maybe another one, died of a morgul wound, and did have a funeral.

I remember that. I think it was said about him, rather than him saying it about himself.
*goes to look up the exact quote*

'But it is said that when all was lost suddenly the Witch-king himself appeared, black-robed and black-masked upon a black horse. Fear fell upon all who beheld him; but he singled out the Captain of Gondor for the fullness of his hatred, and with a terrible cry he rode straight upon him. Eärnur would have withstood him; but his horse could not endure that onset, and it swerved and bore him far away before he could master it.
'Then the Witch-king laughed, and none that heard it ever forgot the horror of that cry. But Glorfindel rode up then on his white horse, and in the midst of his laughter the Witch-king turned to flight and passed into the shadows. For night came down on the battlefield, and he was lost, and none saw whither he went.
'Eärnur now rode back, but Glorfindel, looking into the gathering dark, said: "Do not pursue him! He will not return to this land. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall."
Appendix A, I (iv) Gondor and the heirs of Anarion

So Glorfindel, one of the Elf-lords of Rivendell, had the gift of foresight and said it about the Witch-king.

Ëarnur was the king of Gondor, actually, but there had been a Northern king, Arveleg, who had been killed in a battle against the Witch-king some years earlier. I think many of these stories were mixed together over time in the non-scholarly history-telling, and thus the story of a mortal king who died from a morgul wound got attributed to the Witch-king, who needed that story for his own purposes.
Varnafinde

PreviousNext