This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Chapter 13- Not At Home

There and Back Again—A Reader's Tale

Moderators: Pattertwigs Pal, coracle, Lady Arwen

Chapter 13- Not At Home

Postby Lady Arwen » Dec 16, 2012 7:57 am

1. What do you think about Bilbo’s decision not to tell the dwarves about the Arkenstone?
2. Why do you think Bilbo felt the need to take and hide the Arkenstone?
3. While most of the dwarves are searching feverishly for the Arkenstone, Fili and Kili begin to play music. Why do you think their reaction was different from the other dwarves?
4. Biblo said that he "feels magnificent, but I expect I look rather absurd." What do you think his response would be if he did see himself in a looking glass?
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Re: Chapter 13- Not At Home

Postby MeadowMaid » Dec 27, 2012 5:46 pm

3. Fili and Kili seem quite excited about the tangible reality of the treasure. (The dwarves had yet to find the Arkenstone, as Bilbo had it.) Also, Musical instruments were very familiar to them (whereas the Arkenstone may be less real or less familiar to them than the other dwarves), and no doubt it had been a while since they had been able to use musical instruments. Playing the harps seems to be a natural expression of their excitement.

4. Bilbo, after all, is a hobbit and not an "elf-prince". With such fantastic garb, (although feeling magnificent) it is unsurprising that he suspected he looked "rather absurd." (Although this may be entirely because I think I would feel as Bilbo did if I tried on a princess's outfit from long ago. :) ) The looking glass would have either confirmed his feelings or his suspicions. Bilbo might think he looks noble, since he has weathered a lot since beginning the adventure. Or it might make him long even more for home.

avy & sig made by Valia. Thanks sis! :)
MeadowMaid
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby GlimGlum » Jan 10, 2013 11:17 am

1. "But fairest of all was the great white gem" says our storyteller. Bilbo knew it was the "Crown Jewel" of all the treasure and therefore it would be risky to keep it for himself.

2. He was drawn to it by its enchanting properties. He sensed that it may eventually bring trouble and that he may not have been allowed to choose it for his own keeping if the dwarves had known about it.
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 14, 2013 9:44 am

1. Bad choice.

2. Was he still being influenced by Smaug's insinuations about transportation? Obviously, one jewel would be easy to transport, but as an actual profit, it's not like the Hobbiton bank could change it into spending money...

3. I like Meadow's explanation. :)

4. It would depend on how good the fit really was. ;)) I tend to think that if a stranger had seen him they would have been impressed. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Feb 15, 2013 12:10 pm

1. What do you think about Bilbo’s decision not to tell the dwarves about the Arkenstone?I don't agree with it. He knew it was wrong to keep it. I wonder if there was som magic at work that was influencing him. It could be the ring or the stone or both.
2. Why do you think Bilbo felt the need to take and hide the Arkenstone?He was bewitched by it. He might have still been influenced by Smaug's words about dwarves and getting the treasure home. He might have been irritated by the dwarves' behavior. There might also be a bit of a desire to be a real burglar.
3. While most of the dwarves are searching feverishly for the Arkenstone, Fili and Kili begin to play music. Why do you think their reaction was different from the other dwarves? They must realyl like music. Also they are younger than the other dwarves so that might make them more idealistic and less practical.
4. Biblo said that he "feels magnificent, but I expect I look rather absurd." What do you think his response would be if he did see himself in a looking glass? I imagine he would think he looked rather absurd. He is used to seeing himself dressed as a respectable HObbit so it would seem odd to see himself like that.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby ValiantArcher » Mar 14, 2013 4:58 pm

1. I'm still not really sure why he didn't; in the end, his having the Arkenstone served a purpose, but it probably caused a lot more trouble (and lives) than it saved.

2. I guess he was affected by its beauty; maybe after all the time with the Dwarves he began to pick up some of their lust for treasures? I do really like Twig's suggestion that the Ring might be working some of its power on him.

3. They're younger and I think they really don't have as great a grasp on the importance of it; right now, they seem to kind of feel that life is good and that they've achieved their goal, so why not celebrate?

4. Probably about the same. ;)) He'd probably find he looked better than he feared but not as nice as he'd hoped.
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Lady Arwen wrote:1. What do you think about Bilbo’s decision not to tell the dwarves about the Arkenstone?

I think it's one of the few times in the book we actually see a flaw in Bilbo's character. ;))

Because he wants it, and he knows the dwarves would not let him keep it if they knew.

3. While most of the dwarves are searching feverishly for the Arkenstone, Fili and Kili begin to play music. Why do you think their reaction was different from the other dwarves?

Most likely because they are younger. Perhaps the young dwarves are more prone to celebrating through music than they are when they get older.

4. Biblo said that he "feels magnificent, but I expect I look rather absurd." What do you think his response would be if he did see himself in a looking glass?

He would probably agree with his original opinion, whether it was true or not. But I think he'd enjoy it all the same.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 20, 2013 4:13 pm

Lady Arwen wrote:1. What do you think about Bilbo’s decision not to tell the dwarves about the Arkenstone?

1. It probably wasn't a good idea. It turned out useful, but Bilbo wasn't planning for anything like what happened - he just liked the beautiful stone and wanted to keep it for himself, and he very well knew that Thorin wasn't going to allow it if he knew.
First sight, perhaps, of a really devious Bilbo.

2. Perhaps there was some degree of enchantment in it, or just some amount of greed - for the beautiful item specifically.

3. Perhaps because they were the youngest - they might not have been quite as seriously affected by the greed yet, and also, they might not have been around or at least have been to young to remember the treasures from before the time of the dragon.

4. I think he would think that he looked both magnificent and absurd at the same time. Such magnificence is a bit out of place for a Hobbit.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum