This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Chapter 6 Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire

There and Back Again—A Reader's Tale

Moderators: Pattertwigs Pal, coracle, Lady Arwen

Chapter 6 Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Oct 27, 2012 7:08 am

1. The dwarves, Gandalf and Bilbo have different reactions and ideas about what to do when they are separated from each other. What does this tell us about their characters? Which response is most like the one you would have in a similar situation?

2. After Bilbo reappears, the dwarves have a new respect for him, and Bilbo almost seems to have a new personality. Why do you think this is? What changed in Bilbo while they were underground?

3. The Wargs are made aware of the dwarves presence by Dori and Bilbo's late ascension into the trees. Do you think they wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't seen the dwarf and the hobbit? Even after the discovery, the Wargs don't seem overly concerned, "having no intention of going away and letting the people up the trees escape, at any rate, not until morning." Why would they be so disinterested?

4. Tolkien seems to write a contradiction when he describes the eagles, writing that "eagles are not kindly birds.... But the ancient race of the northern mountains were...noble hearted." Why do you think he juxtaposes kindness and nobleness in this way?

5. The chapter ends with Bilbo's bad dream. What do you think he was looking for in his dream? Why does Tolkien take the time to mention it?
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: Chapter 6 Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 01, 2012 11:53 am

3a wrote:Do you think they wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't seen the dwarf and the hobbit?

"Wolves of that sort smell keener than goblins, and do not need to see you to catch you!"
I think the author answers that in a direct way.

3b wrote:Even after the discovery, the Wargs don't seem overly concerned, "having no intention of going away and letting the people up the trees escape, at any rate, not until morning." Why would they be so disinterested?

It is mentioned that the Wargs new the goblin soldiers were already on there way and they could climb trees. So there was no hurry on their part knowing that our band of adventurers could not come down while there were so many Wargs around. :-o
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby ValiantArcher » Nov 03, 2012 12:25 pm

1. Bilbo shows himself to be a loyal Hobbit, as he's planning on going back into the mountains to look for the Dwarves even though he hates the idea. The Dwarves seem more inclined to spread the blame around and grumble, though I have a feeling they would've gone back in to look for Bilbo eventually since they really are decent chaps. :) And Gandalf continues to show he's probably the most responsible of them, even if he didn't notice Bilbo was missing, either, until they were all out. ;))
As for my reaction, I'd probably either respond like the Dwarves or like Bilbo - hesitant and begrudging somewhat, but ultimately doing the right thing, or so I hope. I don't think I'd be jumping to go back in like Gandalf, though! :ymblushing:

2. Bilbo gained the One Ring. ;) Really, though, he had his own little adventure all by himself and survived, which was more than the Dwarves (and he himself, I dare say!) expected. ;)) So, in a way, he's proven his abilities and worth.

3. I think Glimmie answered this question pretty well already. ;)) To be honest, if they didn't have Gandalf, there was really nothing the Dwarves or Bilbo could've done, so the Wargs would've been quite right to not worry.

4. They sound of a similar stock to Thorin and a number of other characters - not the warm, soft, comfortable sort, but ones that'll do the right thing even if they don't like you. ;))

5. I'm not sure, but I'd guess that he's almost trying to find his home again and maybe even go back to his old self in a way. Growth and change can be painful and you can't ever go back to the way things were before, but they're necessary. :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Meltintalle » Nov 05, 2012 3:06 pm

1. Well, it reinforces the idea that Gandalf is the sort of person you want along on your adventure. ;)) Bilbo and the dwarves seem to have the same reaction--only the dwarves have Gandalf to complain to about the fact that they have to go back. I'm sure I would do something similar to Bilbo; know what the right thing to do is, and not want to do it.

2. Bilbo is now brimming with confidence because he found himself instead of being rescued.

3. Ditto the wargs sense of smell. They'd have noticed. For the second part of the question... If you're on top of the situation, there's no need to worry about it. Also, it sort of adds to the menace of the scene because the wargs aren't running around uselessly. It makes them seem smarter and a little more terrifying.

4. It's a way of reconciling actual eagle habits with traditional portrayals, perhaps?

5. I wonder if he was looking for the Ring? If he was, it might be Tolkien's way of showing that even now the Ring has a deep hold on Bilbo despite only being recently acquired.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Movie Aristotle » Nov 24, 2012 3:20 pm

2. When you think about it, magic ring or no magic ring, Bilbo has managed to do a rather remarkable thing -escape from both the clever Gollum and the armies of goblin hordes, as well as find his way out of the mountains. If he hadn't kept his wits about him, he could have let Gollum pass and then wandered around by himself lost for weeks and perhaps even die in the goblin caves. But he followed Gollum, then squeezed through the back door and hid in the tree shadows from the goblin guards that were after him. That really is no small feat. Then of course he had one last chance to be clever by sneaking past his own guard and appearing in the middle of the dwarves' council. Anyone would be pleased to pull off a trick like that.

3. I think it would have taken a while for the Wargs to find them, but I think it would have eventually happened. I still think it would have been an advantage if Dori and Bilbo had not been found out though.

4. I don't think there is a contradiction. He's saying most eagles are not very kind, but this particular group of eagles are. Why he decided to make most eagles bad and a few good, I have no idea, but it does exemplify the complexity of Tolkien's world.

5. Perhaps someone with access to an original edition can tell me for sure, but I'm guessing that the missing thing is the ring and that this sentence was edited into a later version of the book.

If I'm wrong, then I suppose it was just another of Bilbo's nightmares, and one that thoroughly reminded him of the home he missed so much.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Dec 26, 2012 6:13 pm

1. The dwarves, Gandalf and Bilbo have different reactions and ideas about what to do when they are separated from each other. What does this tell us about their characters? Which response is most like the one you would have in a similar situation? Gandalf is loyal and willing to risk his life to go after companions. The dwarves think of themselves first and foremost. Bilbo is a contracted employee who hasn't done them much good. Bilbo has a strong sense of duty. Although he will do it, he isn't happy about it. I would respond like Bilbo.

2. After Bilbo reappears, the dwarves have a new respect for him, and Bilbo almost seems to have a new personality. Why do you think this is? What changed in Bilbo while they were underground?
The note in the beginning of the book tells that the power of the ring influenced Bilbo: he was normally honest but he lied about how he got the ring. That probably accounts for at least a little bit of the change. I think he gain confidence. He managed to get himself out of a very difficult situation.

3. The Wargs are made aware of the dwarves presence by Dori and Bilbo's late ascension into the trees. Do you think they wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't seen the dwarf and the hobbit? Even after the discovery, the Wargs don't seem overly concerned, "having no intention of going away and letting the people up the trees escape, at any rate, not until morning." Why would they be so disinterested? I think they would have noticed the smeal or heard a noise and found them out. They realize they can't do anything about them besides keep them out of the way. Eventually, the prisoners will come down or the goblins will help them catch the hobbit, dwarves and wizard.

4. Tolkien seems to write a contradiction when he describes the eagles, writing that "eagles are not kindly birds.... But the ancient race of the northern mountains were...noble hearted." Why do you think he juxtaposes kindness and nobleness in this way? I think he wanted to show that the eagles are lofty. Noble implies they hold themselves to code. They are kind that would repay kindness as a duty. They will not go out of the way to help others. I believe this race of eagles is a better race than others. If they feel the cause is noble, they will act. Tolkien doesn't want to characterize the eagles as nice and warm but also doesn't want to paint these eagles too grim.

5. The chapter ends with Bilbo's bad dream. What do you think he was looking for in his dream? Why does Tolkien take the time to mention it? I really don't know what he was looking for maybe something intangible such as his lost reputation or the adventure he would miss if he went back home then. I think Tolkien wanted to show he was unsettled. Maybe it is foreshadowing something later in the book. I bet he felt like that a lot after returning home and finding an auction in progress.
Movie Aristotle wrote: Perhaps someone with access to an original edition can tell me for sure, but I'm guessing that the missing thing is the ring and that this sentence was edited into a later version of the book.
That is an interesting idea. Unfortunately I don't have the original version so I can't look it up. :(
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Meltintalle » Mar 23, 2013 11:14 am

Bilbo makes a comment about feeling like a piece of bacon in this chapter, and one of the dwarves contradicts him saying he hoped they weren't going back into the frying pan.

My brother observed that even then Bilbo was remembering the dragon and the dwarves weren't. ;))
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:1. The dwarves, Gandalf and Bilbo have different reactions and ideas about what to do when they are separated from each other. What does this tell us about their characters? Which response is most like the one you would have in a similar situation?

I think both Bilbo and Gandalf show themselves to be very moral, while the Dwarves show themselves to be very selfish. As for how I would react, I think (and hope) I would try to rescue any friends who got left behind.

I think the danger he went through, and the fact that he escaped it, gave him a bit more self-respect, as well as hope that he might make it through this journey alive.

3. The Wargs are made aware of the dwarves presence by Dori and Bilbo's late ascension into the trees. Do you think they wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't seen the dwarf and the hobbit?

I think they would have been made aware of it eventually from the goblins, since the Wargs and goblins often work together.

4. Tolkien seems to write a contradiction when he describes the eagles, writing that "eagles are not kindly birds.... But the ancient race of the northern mountains were...noble hearted." Why do you think he juxtaposes kindness and nobleness in this way?

"Kindly" indicates compassion. "Noble" indicates nobility. I think it means that they have their hearts set on the very high matters that happen in this world, but are not necessarily concerned with sympathizing with each individual creature in need.

5. The chapter ends with Bilbo's bad dream. What do you think he was looking for in his dream? Why does Tolkien take the time to mention it?

It could be that, after such a long day of danger, he's trying to find safety and home in his dream. But I've also often wondered if maybe it's the Ring starting to take effect. One of the "symptoms" a Ringbearer has is that they can never keep it close enough to them, or feel like it's protected enough. So it follows that he would have nightmares about losing it and looking for it.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:2. After Bilbo reappears, the dwarves have a new respect for him, and Bilbo almost seems to have a new personality. Why do you think this is? What changed in Bilbo while they were underground?

He has been through a hard experience. He had to struggle for his life, and he had to take advantage of Gollum's misunderstanding of his question, in order to survive.

Also, he has been close to taking a life in that struggle, and he chose to show mercy instead - pity stayed his hand. He has made some important decisions, for better or worse - and it may have changed him.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum