This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

General Thoughts

Throwing light from a new angle on the life of men.

Moderators: Pattertwigs Pal, Meltintalle

General Thoughts

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 24, 2012 7:34 am

Now that we've read the whole book a bite at a time... what did you think?

I've got a whole barrage of questions, so feel free to answer some or all as you please--and ask your own! :)

Does having a story woven in among the points make the book easier to read? What impression did you take away from the Letters? What (if any) recurring themes are there in the Letters? What's your favourite part? Least favourite? What was the most convicting point for you? What part do you think you'll go back to? Why? Do you have any story to tell about reading the book?

If you've had the chance to listen to the audio dramatization, or see a stage production, how does that compare to the book? If you haven't, what would you like to see or hear?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Re: General Thoughts

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jul 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Does having a story woven in among the points make the book easier to read?
Yes, I think it does. It provides background and examples which help one understand and stay interested.

What (if any) recurring themes are there in the Letters?
There seems to be a lot about jargon and using words to confuse. The patient mustn't think.

What's your favourite part? Least favourite?
I'm not sure I really have either one - not for the book anyway. I absolutely love the very end of the last track (The Douglas Gresham bonus track).

What was the most convicting point for you?
Probably either the part about spiritual pride or the part about unselfishness or the part about prayer. Actually not that I think about it, it is the idea that I can own time. I really struggle with getting upset when time I planned on doing one thing is taken up by another.

If you've had the chance to listen to the audio dramatization, or see a stage production, how does that compare to the book? I've listened to the focus on the family version several times. It is pretty close to the book. They did a good job of fleshing it out. For example, we get to hear conversations the patient has and hear a bit of Wormwood's side of things. I think there are some parts that were left out but I don't remember what they are off the top of my head.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: General Thoughts

Postby Movie Aristotle » Aug 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Does having a story woven in among the points make the book easier to read?

Absolutely. It helps for both illustrative purposes and to break up the monotony of what otherwise is a collection of essays on human mistakes.

What impression did you take away from the Letters?

That God is merciful. There are lots of mistakes that can be made, but God is there to help us out of our mistakes. He's on our side.

Also, it is okay to laugh at devils. Fear is one of their greatest weapons. We can disarm it with a good laugh.

What (if any) recurring themes are there in the Letters?
I think the main scheme of Screwtape is to distract people from thinking about and communicating with God. His secondary goal is to drive a wedge between people, often by distracting people from thinking about others' welfare.

What's your favorite part?
I think my favorite part of the book is when Screwtape finds out that the patient has fallen in love with a Christian girl. That chapter is "laugh out loud" funny. =))

What was the most convicting point for you? What part do you think you'll go back to? Why?
I think every letter was convicting or at least interesting. This is my third time through the book, but I think taking it at a slower pace and really thinking about what was said has allowed me to appreciate it more and see the applications in my life. I definitely want to read it again.

Do you have any story to tell about reading the book?
The second time I read this book was on Halloween. I wanted to read a classic in a day and The Screwtape Letters seemed like a good place to start. I read the whole thing before daylight on November 1st. My attempt to read Dracula in a day was no where near as successful. It just goes to show how entertaining this book really is and how, by virtue of being succinct, it is a book that people can come back to again and again.

If you've had the chance to listen to the audio dramatization, or see a stage production, how does that compare to the book? If you haven't, what would you like to see or hear?

The radio drama is of very high quality. I forgot how high the quality was until I started listening to it again this afternoon. Focus on the Family really went all out. In addition to expertly dramatizing a book that is basically a collection of essays, they also did a great job with the bonus tracks. They even included some songs inspired by The Screwtape Letters and had a DVD bonus disk with plenty of behind-the-scenes features. It seems to me that they did a better job with this drama than they did with The Chronicles of Narnia! I hope that they someday soon make a drama out of Screwtape Proposes A Toast.

Andy Serkis does a marvelous Screwtape and does a good job bringing out the subtleties that make this character so much fun. The supporting cast is to be applauded as well. :ymapplause:

As for the stage play, I would love to see Max McLean's adaptation in person. Even more, I would like to get my hands on a copy of the script and have it performed locally. I wonder how long it will be before it is available?

My final comment on The Screwtape Letters?
Now that Douglas Gresham has mentioned he's working on a movie version, we might find ourselves discussing these books again very soon!
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie