This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Letter 27

Throwing light from a new angle on the life of men.

Moderators: Pattertwigs Pal, Meltintalle

Letter 27

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 03, 2012 6:38 am

Why does Screwtape refer to petitionary prayer as "crude"? Why would he prefer to see them stopped or negated?

Screwtape puts great stock in the power of the "Historical Point of View." Do you think it is as powerful and widely used as he thinks it is?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Re: Letter 27

Postby ValiantArcher » Apr 15, 2012 1:09 pm

1. When you pray for something, you're acknowledging that you can't handle it yourself; you're admitting that you need God to deal with it and help you through. That lowliness and humility is contrary to everything Screwtape would like to see in a person and one of the best defenses against his attacks, and so of course he would like to see those prayers stop.

2. I think it is a pretty popular and widespread idea. You do hear all sorts of theories and questions batted around about historical philosophical or theological manuscripts and such, but you rarely hear people ask if what they're actually saying is true.
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Why does Screwtape refer to petitionary prayer as "crude"? Why would he prefer to see them stopped or negated?
I think he calls them crude because they "plain" prayers. People are asking for what they need. There probably isn't any of the flowery, fancy language. Screwtape would much rather that people aim for "spiritual" prayers and types of prayers like the Pharisee says in one of Jesus' stories. Like Valia, said "crude" prayers are showing that people can't do everything they need to. Generally, just to ask for something or help buts a person lower than the person whom they are asking. Screwtape does not want any ideas of lowliness in patients.
Screwtape puts great stock in the power of the "Historical Point of View." Do you think it is as powerful and widely used as he thinks it is?
I think it is common but I think he is exaggerating a little. There are still people that look for truths in old works, etc and teach others to as well. However, I think the historical point of view is more popular and is powerful - just not as much so as Screwtape lets on.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Eustace » Jul 11, 2012 12:16 am

Why does Screwtape refer to petitionary prayer as "crude"? Why would he prefer to see them stopped or negated? Prayer in petitionary sense is realizing that we can do everything. It stops us from being proud, which makes the devil's work harder to try to get us to take our focus away from God and sin.

Yeah, I think this is a big deal. Historical point of view is mostly opinions looking at history from a worldview. It frankly, has nothing to really do with the actually history it is more how you interpret the facts. But a lot of people I believe miss this and therefore are tricked into thinking that a certain view is facts because it from a historical point of view.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 25, 2012 7:40 pm

1. Why does Screwtape refer to petitionary prayer as "crude"? Why would he prefer to see them stopped or negated?

'Crude' usually has a poor connotation, implying rough or unrefined. But I thought about crude oil - the stuff that comes out of the ground. It's the closest thing to 'pure' or 'natural' oil we have.

Maybe petitionary prayer is similar. Sure, there's the risk it can become 'all about me' or lead us to viewing God as some sort of celestial vending machine - but when we're reduced to asking for our daily bread (as even Screwtape notes we've been commanded to), it may bring a realization that apart from God we don't have anything. It can remind us, and help lead us to, a deeper dependence on Him and His provision. This might be why Screwtape wants them stopped.

2. Screwtape puts great stock in the power of the "Historical Point of View." Do you think it is as powerful and widely used as he thinks it is?

I think it can be powerful, for the reasons he spells out. It cuts the current generation off from the wisdom of earlier ones, making it easier to mislead the present generation.

I'm not sure it's as widespread as he implies, though I've heard of specific examples used both in theological and secular circles.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Movie Aristotle » Aug 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Petitionary prayers are about real things and real problems. Screwtape would prefer that we not pray at all, or that we pray about imaginary things.

This letter again makes me think about the power of prayer and its real affect on the world.

It certainly can render past works of art as uninspiring. Now when reading poetry it seems that professors are looking for some secret motive behind the author's work. If the real motive is Christianity, they look for another. "What was behind his Christianity? There must be a real (tangible, earthly or basic) reason behind it." In college I don't remember hearing the professors read a poem and then ask the simple questions: "Is it beautiful?" "Is it true?" "Is it good?"

I suspect the "Historical Point of View" does a good job in undermining truth in history, philosophy and theology as well.

stargazer wrote:I think it can be powerful, for the reasons he spells out. It cuts the current generation off from the wisdom of earlier ones, making it easier to mislead the present generation.

Perhaps scholars today tend to learn from their contemporaries and question their predecessors, instead of learning from their predecessors and questioning their contemporaries.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie