This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Letter 23

Throwing light from a new angle on the life of men.

Moderators: Pattertwigs Pal, Meltintalle

Letter 23

Postby Meltintalle » Mar 20, 2012 8:18 am

Do you think that Screwtape is grasping for straws in regard to the corruption of the Patient? Why or why not?

Screwtape argues that the Enemy supplies moral teachers to counteract the teachers his side puts forth. He gives the Sophistis and Socrates as an example. Can you think of other historical examples?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Re: Letter 23

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Mar 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Do you think that Screwtape is grasping for straws in regard to the corruption of the Patient? Why or why not? I think Screwtape has a point that people can be led to create a historical Jesus. I can also see how people could use Christianity as a means to an end. However, I think it would be easier to lead men that way earlier on in the conversion process than at the point where the patient is. However what Screwtape is proposing would be much easier to do than to convince the patient not to believe in Christianity at all.

Screwtape argues that the Enemy supplies moral teachers to counteract the teachers his side puts forth. He gives the Sophistis and Socrates as an example. Can you think of other historical examples?
I think the prophets in the old testament would count. The Iseralites (and their rulers) needed a lot of reminders about what they should be doing. The Iseralites would take on parts of their neighbors' cultures and the prophets would speak against that. False prophets vs. God's prophets. Herod and John the Baptist comes to mind also.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby ValiantArcher » Mar 24, 2012 1:24 pm

1. I'm not sure Screwtape is quite grasping for straws, but I do think his options are getting rather limited. The Patient's faith has been reaffirmed and he's been fellowshipping with other Christians and it seems like he's also been reading the Bible and praying, so there are fewer "handholds" for attacks to grasp.

2. Hmm... Well, I like PP's mention of several Biblical examples. :) Also, there were a number of people promoting heresies throughout the church who were countered by those preaching the truth. As far as specific examples go, though, I'm afraid I'm coming up blank. :ymblushing: ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Eustace » Jul 09, 2012 12:10 am

Do you think that Screwtape is grasping for straws in regard to the corruption of the Patient? Why or why not?
No, I think he is following the next logical step. Because this seems to corrupt many people so it works sometimes. It is also creating yourself a god or an idol for yourself you believe in God or Jesus as something different than what they are.
Definitely all the false prophets in the Bible that Elijah and Elisha went against along with all the rest of the prophets in the Old Testament.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 09, 2012 9:40 pm

1. Do you think that Screwtape is grasping for straws in regard to the corruption of the Patient? Why or why not?

In my mind he's not grasping for straws - he's actually reached the heart of the matter (though, as ValiantArcher mentioned, the Patient is involved in fellowship, Bible reading, etc; thus he may have some protection against this attack).

The doctrines of Christ - including the Resurrection and Redemption Screwtape mentions - are crucial to Christianity. If they can be corrupted or distorted, all the better. Convincing the Patient that Jesus was simply a good man, or a great teacher, or didn't say or do the things the Gospels ascribe to him, may distract the Patient from living for his Savior.

2. Screwtape argues that the Enemy supplies moral teachers to counteract the teachers his side puts forth. He gives the Sophistis and Socrates as an example. Can you think of other historical examples?

In addition to those Old Testament examples Eustace mentioned, there are quite a few in church history as well. Many of the early Councils, such as that in Nicea, were convened to address various heresies and to clarify church teachings, the Biblical canon, and so on.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 30, 2012 9:09 pm

It depends on if the Patient has gone through a genuine conversion or not. If the Patient is a true Christian, then the demons are grasping at straws no matter what they do. But if he is not yet saved, then making him a false convert could work very well in their favor. There are many people out there who don't know Christ but think they do. They value Christ as a historical figure or wise teacher, as noted in the letter. I think the biggest example nowadays is "I love Christ because Christ is love", meaning that they think the entire point Christ had in coming here was to tell us to be kind and accepting of everyone, and nothing else. They use Him as a means to an end, whether it's to become wiser, richer, or kinder.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Movie Aristotle » Aug 07, 2012 12:17 pm

The documents say what they say and cannot be added to;

No. If people misinterpret who Jesus is (the resurrected Son of God), then they are less likely to follow Him devotedly, and instead try to use the His teachings as ammunition for their own arguments.

I think one huge problem we are facing today is that people are letting their political beliefs change their religion, instead of letting their religious beliefs affect their politics.

The Bible says what the Bible says, whether or not it is popular right now.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie