This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Letter 21

Throwing light from a new angle on the life of men.

Moderators: Pattertwigs Pal, Meltintalle

Letter 21

Postby Meltintalle » Mar 13, 2012 6:37 am

1. Where do you think the idea that humans 'own' time originated? Is there a valid defense for this position?

2. Following the reasoning in this letter, is there anything which we can truly call 'mine'?

3. Was there anything that stood out to you in this chapter?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Re: Letter 21

Postby ValiantArcher » Mar 21, 2012 4:09 pm

1. I'm really not sure where the idea that humans 'own' time came from - maybe the Fall? God has given us many things under the Creation Mandate, but after the Fall, we largely forget that with that gift, we have a responsibility to use it wisely and to be good stewards. I think that involves time and our use of it as well. Which I guess also covers the valid defense portion - we have a great many things that are 'ours' under God's real 'ownership'. ;))

2. In the ultimate end, not really - everything is God's. :)

Screwtape wrote:Now you will have noticed that nothing throws him into a passion so easily as to find a tract of time which he reckoned on having at his own disposal unexpectedly taken from him.
This bit especially stood at to me, as I often find myself falling into this attitude. :ymblushing: I think it accounts for a lot of the times when I'm impatient or resistant to a change in plans. On the heels of that, it was kind of encouraging to be reminded that time is all really God's and that we should be willing to give it all back to him. :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Mar 22, 2012 9:00 am

1. Where do you think the idea that humans 'own' time originated? Is there a valid defense for this position?
I'm not sure exactly. I wonder if if it started when life became more hectic. People used to me more strict on keeping the Sabbath (i.e. a day of rest) also there used to be fewer distractions. With more and more people living in the cities, there were more opportunities for distraction. Or it could be like Valia said, having to do with the fall.

Probably not but knowing that and understanding the logic behind why it is not so, still doesn't stop me from feeling like I "own" my time. :P

2. Following the reasoning in this letter, is there anything which we can truly call 'mine'?
In the strictest sense of the word no. The only thing that can't be taken a way from us / destroyed is our soul and that is committed / given to one of two places. Part of being a Christian is giving yourself to God. However, I do think that the use of words like "mine" are still very helpful. I suppose we can say "mine" about things such as our actions otherwise we might not take responsibility for what we say and do. We need to remember that everything we have is a gift from God and can be taken away at any time.

Screwtape wrote:Now you will have noticed that nothing throws him into a passion so easily as to find a tract of time which he reckoned on having at his own disposal unexpectedly taken from him.

Like Valia, this part stood out for me. I feel that way too often. :ymblushing: I understand the logic behind why I should not feel irritated when that happens. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot stop feeling irritated when it happens. :ymblushing: Maybe if I try expecting my time a tract of time will be filled up then I will feel pleased it isn't instead of upset it is.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Eustace » Jul 08, 2012 10:59 pm

I think it originated from us humans become selfish. I guess the valid defense for this position seems to be God entrusted certain things in life to us or certain amounts of things in our life. So, God gave us these things as our own.
No, there is nothing really that we can call our own.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 30, 2012 8:22 pm

I think it comes subconsciously from humans' habit to be very focused on themselves. If you asked them if they believe they actually owned time, they would say no. But if they have to spend time doing something they dislike, there will always be something in the back of their heads that says they could have spent that time doing something they enjoyed.

I don't think there is. I think everything is pretty much given to us, and that God is the real owner.

I found it interesting that even after we're convinced that we own things we don't, that sense of ownership can be worsened even further to be something violent and consuming. Like with the teddy bear example. It can be taken from a loved possession to something that can be torn to pieces, because you "have the right to tear it to pieces".

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Movie Aristotle » Aug 07, 2012 10:56 am

I think the assumption is that you own things that you spend. Time isn’t so. That’s where we get confused.

Not in its possessive sense. You can use the word in its designation of a special relationship, however. "My Wife," "My Father," "My Master," and "My God" for example.

Like everyone else, the idea of not owning time is one that makes you stop and think. Having your time used for things you don't like or didn't intend will usually throw people into a dishumor. Several years ago I realized that many arguments happen over things that weren't in someone's "plans".

Wife: Honey, I need to you drop off Anna at dance recital.

Husband: But I was planning on watching the game with the guys. We've been planning this for weeks.

Wife: Honey, this recital has been on the calendar for months, you should have known it was coming.

Husband: I assumed you were taking her.

Wife: Honey, I can't. I have to run this down to Shar's by four so that we can get this newsletter out to the e-mail chain.

Husband: Well, you should have thought that through.

Wife: Honey, look. I can't do everything around here. You have to pitch in and help too, you know.

Husband: I pitch in around here a lot. I put in 40 hours a week and then I have to come here and do all of your home improvement projects besides!

Wife: Honey...

Sound familiar?

The Screwtape Letters wrote:Much of the modern resistance to chastity comes from men's belief that they "own" their bodies...

This quotation struck me as interesting. I would go a step farther and say that this excuse of "owning" your body is used for more than sexual sin. All sorts of bad habits and outright sins are defended under this notion. Many unhealthy and grievous things have been done to people’s physical forms under the excuse “It’s my body.”

In fact, the concept that "its mine to do with as I please" goes beyond your own body and may be used to hurt someone else. How many wives, children, employees, servants, slaves and prisoners have been abused under the belief that they "belong" to their husbands, parents, bosses, employers, masters, or captors?

Remember the child ripping apart the Teddy Bear?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie