This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Quotes

Throwing light from a new angle on the life of men.

Moderators: Pattertwigs Pal, Meltintalle

Re: Quotes

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 05, 2012 12:09 pm

“Suspicion often creates what it suspects.”

^Very true... I know someone that has Paranoid Personality Disorder, and no matter what information she comes across, she always finds a way to twist it to fit whatever skewed view of the world she has that day... it's very sad. :(

Melian_Maia wrote:"The Future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time--for the Past is frozen and no longer flows, and the Present is all lit up with eternal rays."

I found that one to be most thought provoking, too. Especially since I find time so fascinating. ;))
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Archer » Jul 12, 2012 2:52 am

This quote that Screwtape quotes as the attitude God wants us humans to have towards him really hit me between the eyes and changed my perspective on a lot of things.

Not to what I think Thou art, but what Thou knowest Thyself to be

And here's a quote that astounded me so much, because this is exactly what is happening in our world today!!

I have great hopes that we shall learn in due time how to emotionolize and mythologise their science to such an extent that what is, in essence, a belief to us (though not under that name) will creep in while the human mind remains closed to belief in the Enemy...If once we can produce our perfect work, the Materialist Magician, the man, not using, but veritably worshipping, what he vaguely calls "Forces" while denying the existence of spirits - then the end of the war will be in sight.

This quote amazes me because I have so many friends who claim to believe in "powers" and "unseen forces" but deny any belief in "God" or "devils". It's amazing that Lewis had so much insight on this, and points out that it's really just a ploy devils use to get what they want!
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jul 31, 2012 1:55 pm

Letter 15

The Screwtape Letters wrote:And anyway, why should the creature be happy?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous