This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Welcome to the Screwtape Letters Reading Group

Throwing light from a new angle on the life of men.

Moderators: Pattertwigs Pal, Meltintalle

Re: Welcome to the Screwtape Letters Reading Group

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 10, 2012 6:15 pm

One of the interesting things about the preface (for me) wasn't actually in the preface, but rather in a reference to the preface.

I was reading Inside Prince Caspian by Devin Brown, and one of his observations was that the villains in Narnia (Miraz, Jadis, Shift...) all sought to remake Narnia in their likeness, stifling out all originality just as the demons attempted to make their patients like themselves.

So this concept of love and the opposite of love was an important one to Lewis.

Like Ithilwen, I find the idea of writing the letters producing a spiritual cramp interesting -- but I took it more of a warning as to how even the appearance of evil can be bad for the soul.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Aravis Narnia » Jan 25, 2012 7:42 pm

I listened to The Screwtape Letters on audiobook back in 2009. It was worth listening to this book rather than reading it on print. Why? Because they did a really good job on the Scottish accent of one of the characters!
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Varnafinde » Jan 28, 2012 1:30 pm

I haven't been on enough this month - I had missed this group!

I read the Screwtape Letters quite some time ago, and it would be interesting to read them again.

I read the Preface from that link you provided. I like how Lewis emphasises that Satan isn't the evil parallell to God. He is a created being, a mighty angel, and he is the evil parallell to the archangel Michael. I think this makes sense.

If there had been a book about an angel advising a guardian angel about how to guard his human, it still would not have been a book about God's thoughts (although it would have been so much closer to them). Even the unfallen angels are not divine, although they are without sin. The nature of that difference is not the topic here, though - what is important for us is to remember that Satan is at a lower level than God.

(Does this also imply that evil is at a lower level than good?)
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Fire Fairy » Feb 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Hmm, I don't think I'll have the time to read any more than I am, but I am in a C.S. Lewis class this semester and The Screwtape Letters is one of the books we are reading. We aren't reading it cover to cover, though, so I'll probably discuss the chapters we read in class when the threads for those chapters open. I love The Screwtape Letters, though (I have read it before)!
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Reepicheep775 » Feb 16, 2012 1:57 pm

I apologize for my absence, but I don't think I'll be able to continue.

I was really excited for this, but I'm just too busy right now. It's just another deadline y'know?
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Feb 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Reepicheep775 wrote:I was really excited for this, but I'm just too busy right now. It's just another deadline y'know?

Thanks for letting us know. If you find you have time you are welcome to post in any of the threads. We don't have any set deadlines for posting yet.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby The Jedi Clone » Mar 17, 2012 2:20 pm

*slips in feeling a bit embarrassed as she keeps getting in trouble and not allowed on the computer* Soooooo, er, I kinda failed at this whole thing. so lets see... Lia stole my copy of the Screwtape letters so that completely stopped me from reading, though I have read it before. So, um, I agree with, uh, with the person whom I agree with! I will try to get it back from her and post my thoughts on letter 20 soon.
RL Sister to Melian Maia
Adopted Sister to Weirdo and Gildor_Inglorien
The Jedi Clone
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous