This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Wondering.....

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Wondering.....

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 13, 2018 7:02 am

Hello, everyone :)
It's been a good 3 years since I've been on here and the main reason for that is that I was getting shouted down every time I said anything at all positive about the Dawn Treader film. I am expecting to get shouted down again, but I'm used to it by now.
I'm not here to create strife or anything, but I am honestly wondering why there's now so much dislike for the first 3 Narnia films? I mean, the Dawn Treader stuff was bad enough, but why are LWW and PC getting pulled apart? I've been on narniaweb since 2008 and back in those days everyone agreed to at least love LWW and PC. Now the movies that brought us together have made narniaweb a cold place to be.
I want us to get back to that awesome place where we were all happy and talking about our favorite scenes and things like that. I miss that. Narniaweb has been a part of me for a very long time, mostly during my coming-of-age years and so I still have an affection for it.
Please, can we all just enjoy the Narnia films again? Nothing's happened with SC yet, so please can we stop calling the Narnia films "The original trilogy"?
Please.
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Re: Wondering.....

Postby Impending Doom » Apr 13, 2018 1:34 pm

I enjoy all the Narnia films - to varying degrees - but in a lot of ways, I've just moved on from them. I'll still watch them but I have little time to really debate or discuss them. I mean, 8-13 years is a long time to talk about the same films without any new insight. I think you're just seeing a shift in attitude rather than a dislike for Walden's films.

Narniaweb is in a lull right now w/ the lack of news. But trust me, when SC is released, those Narnia films will be a hot topic for discussion once again. We'll all see them in a new light with a different perspective and that passion will return.

For now, I'm looking ahead and dreaming about what the future could hold for Narnia films. I hope you'll stick around to bring in that future with us.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnia fan 7 » Apr 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Liberty Hoffman wrote:I'm not here to create strife or anything, but I am honestly wondering why there's now so much dislike for the first 3 Narnia films? I mean, the Dawn Treader stuff was bad enough, but why are LWW and PC getting pulled apart? I've been on narniaweb since 2008 and back in those days everyone agreed to at least love LWW and PC. Now the movies that brought us together have made narniaweb a cold place to be.

Because none of the films are perfect and there are things people dislike about them. It's always been that way, this isn't anything new.

Being critical of the films isn't a bad thing. You can still enjoy a film while recognizing it was some problems. There are things I dislike about LWW and PC, both as films and adaptations. But I overall still like them.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Apr 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Liberty,we have always had a culture of respect and positive approach, and our rules were based on what began naturally in our first few months.

When you say LWW and PC are getting pulled apart, I'm sorry if it feels like that. Perhaps we are being more vigorous in our reviewing of aspects of the films, which of course will always be based on our love of the Books.
And we also have more places for discussion than we once did, including Facebook pages, the Podcast and its feedback areas.

You have been a member for a long time, and you remember the excitement of waiting for the new movie to be released.
In the last three years, we have moved slowly from hope to knowledge of a script being finished, to announcement of a company and a director.

This is so much slower than in for the first two movies, and we want to be supportive and effective in raising interest and enthusiasm for the new movie. But what can we do? Going back over old discussions, or looking at different aspects of the films, and asking different questions?

As we look back on the first two films, which we mostly loved, we have the value of distance and further experience in film watching. Some of us have seen excellent stage adaptations of some of the Narnia stories, and we are less satisfied with a production that loses the value of the books in favour of a typical Hollywood style. (Susan and Caspian? Lucy learns to be herself instead of wanting to be Susan -she didn't want That in the book).

Welcome back, Liberty, and I look forward to seeing your comments and ideas in discussions.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 13, 2018 3:38 pm

I appreciate everyone's response, but I still feel that there's negativity, not from everyone, but from some.
That aside, would it be okay, then, to actually talk about how much I love Dawn Treader as a film? I used to, but got much negativity. I can't believe ya'll don't remember how people were posting here on narniaweb that they were telling their friends and family NOT to see Dawn Treader. Of course we don't have any news about another film, not much anyway, because when the response to the previous film isn't good, then you normally don't get a sequel!
And given the information we've heard, nothing's really happening with SC as a film. They haven't even started pre-production, they have no cast, and nothing's happening. The script means nothing because Hollywood has scripts all the time, but it doesn't mean they automatically get made into a film.
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Impending Doom » Apr 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Liberty Hoffman wrote:I appreciate everyone's response, but I still feel that there's negativity, not from everyone, but from some. That aside, would it be okay, then, to actually talk about how much I love Dawn Treader as a film?

Please, go ahead and start a new thread. No one has to speak positively about the film they don't like though. What would you rather have? An honest community that features "some" posters who don't like a film that you enjoyed or one that unanimously loves everything? This is coming from a fan who liked VDT.

And given the information we've heard, nothing's really happening with SC as a film. They haven't even started pre-production, they have no cast, and nothing's happening. The script means nothing because Hollywood has scripts all the time, but it doesn't mean they automatically get made into a film.

Nothing is really happening? They are well into pre-production at this point w/ storyboards being developed since November. Director openly said that activity will increase in July of this year aiming to begin filming in December in New Zealand. Stay positive, right?
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Impending Doom wrote:Nothing is really happening? They are well into pre-production at this point w/ storyboards being developed since November. Director openly said that activity will increase in July of this year aiming to begin filming in December in New Zealand. Stay positive, right?

Well this is cheering news. But why hasn't anything been changed on IMDb? State of the movie still says "in script", and I didn't think that it was all up to the viewers to change those boards.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby narnia fan 7 » Apr 15, 2018 5:12 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Well this is cheering news. But why hasn't anything been changed on IMDb? State of the movie still says "in script", and I didn't think that it was all up to the viewers to change those boards.

From what I understand IMDB is user edited, just like Wikipedia. But I could be wrong on that.

Anyway, it seems like IMDB usually don't list a film as being in pre-production until it either has a release date or has begun casting. Silver Chair doesn't have any of those, so I guess makes sense they still have it as being in the "script" phase.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 16, 2018 1:03 am

I could edit some of the board then, if only I knew my password..... :ymblushing:
I've added one frequently asked question, so maybe I could do more. But I think someone edits it first.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby King_Erlian » Apr 16, 2018 2:34 am

FWIW, I was (and am) another defender of the Dawn Treader film. Whilst I thought the green mist wasn't the greatest idea (unlike villains who were people, you couldn't really hate a gas), nevertheless I felt the film captured the sense of wonder at each new discovery as the crew of the Dawn Treader explored hitherto unknown places in the Narnian world; also Will Poulter was undeniably brilliant as Eustace, and his redemption was believable and not at all cringeworthy. I was far less happy with the film of Prince Caspian as it changed the whole nature of the story by upping the ages of the characters to be teenagers/young adults, and turned the story into a Twilight-esque teen thing. It wasn't a bad film in itself but it wasn't Lewis' Prince Caspian.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Skilletdude » Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am

King_Erlian wrote:I was far less happy with the film of Prince Caspian as it changed the whole nature of the story by upping the ages of the characters to be teenagers/young adults, and turned the story into a Twilight-esque teen thing. It wasn't a bad film in itself but it wasn't Lewis' Prince Caspian.

Dawn Treader gets so much criticism from some of us because the filmmakers fabricated an entire main plot that was nowhere to be found in the book; the quest for seven swords and defeating the green mist. With Prince Caspian, even with its rearranging of events and sometimes questionable character additions/changes, at least kept to the original story plot of restoring Old Narnia and defeating Miraz and the Telmarines. To me, that distinction is important to mention.

And I will echo the sentiments of others in this thread. It's better NarniaWeb remain a place where people can be honest, respectfully of course, when sharing their views. I think we've been good at that. LibertyHoffman, I think it would be more detrimental to future movie adaptations if the filmmakers saw the fans as easily pleased and not interested in book-faithful films. Who knows how much influence we actually have, but at least the production has the option to visit our boards and get some feedback from the fan base.
Mary Jane: You know, you're taller than you look.
Peter: I hunch.
Mary Jane: Don't.
Skilletdude
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Liberty Hoffman » May 01, 2018 10:48 am

Please, go ahead and start a new thread. No one has to speak positively about the film they don't like though. What would you rather have? An honest community that features "some" posters who don't like a film that you enjoyed or one that unanimously loves everything? This is coming from a fan who liked VDT.

That's not what I am saying - I'm saying that instead of people letting myself and others have their opinion, they would get upset and say that Dawn Treader was horrible. Many were literally proudly stating that they made sure their family and friends never went to the cinema. And then everyone's wondering why there are no more films to date.....hmmmmm....

Nothing is really happening? They are well into pre-production at this point w/ storyboards being developed since November. Director openly said that activity will increase in July of this year aiming to begin filming in December in New Zealand. Stay positive, right?

Storyboards? There are none. They never said anything about New Zealand. They have no cast, no crew, and no locations. They only have a script, or so they say, and that script is being revised, if their word on that means anything. Having a script does not mean you have a film in pre-production. Some scripts will be in development for up to six years before any pre-production is in place. That was the case for the first Night at the Museum film. And while that film actually was made and did well, not every script is made into a film.
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Anfinwen » May 01, 2018 5:05 pm

Liberty Hoffman wrote:They never said anything about New Zealand. They have no cast, no crew, and no locations. They only have a script, or so they say, and that script is being revised

It was in the same interview where Joe Johnston said they were rewriting the script. He said they hope to shoot in New Zealand in the winter of 2018.
https://www.narniaweb.com/2017/11/the-s ... ston-says/
Of course, that was back in November, and I had hoped we'd hear something more by this time. :(
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 01, 2018 11:23 pm

Well maybe, but at some point Joe Johnson definitely did mention New Zealand, and I can see exactly why he might at least consider the place. New Zealand is a country where the USA dollar would go much further than in USA, itself, plus winter in New Zealand is in June and July, not December. Much of the outdoors in SC is in cool autumn weather, going down to rather colder weather than we "enjoy" here in Oz. Please keep that in mind. And at the moment, most of you Up in the Northern Hemisphere Attic are just coming into summer, so if they want to start filming in winter, they can at least get some of the preparatory work done in New Zealand in June and July before they start.

And they do need at least some place that is likely to be snowy, to start off with. Queenstown and thereabouts is where they did a lot of filming for LOTR, and the original LWW movie, and where they can get several suitable cinematographic locations they can use later in SC. If SC does well, the New Zealanders might happily use such locations to bolster the extensive tourism they already have enjoyed from LOTR, the Hobbit and LWW. Plus, there is likely to be plenty of filming support still available in New Zealand.

One of the problems of VDT not making more money was that filming in Australia, in particular, might have been a bit more expensive than originally anticipated. After a slump in the American dollar, in about 2008, the Australian dollar was relatively high in comparison with the United States dollar, from 2009 to somewhat more recently. For a while we had parity with the American dollar and at one point the Australian dollar even was slightly higher than the American dollar. For those who don't understand currency fluctuations, if you live in a country like USA, where the currency is not only high, but also a standard for the market elsewhere, the best time to go overseas is when the places you want to visit have a lower value currency to ensure your budget goes further. And when everywhere else has become too expensive, it is time to enjoy the pleasures of your own country.

Personally, like Liberty Hoffman, I felt very positively about VDT. I was really thrilled for my own beautiful country, when VDT filmed along Queensland coast, from the Gold Coast, south of Brisbane, to the Whitsundays, up near Mackay. I even saw the Dawn Treader set on a gimbal at MovieWorld. I loved the sets in VDT, especially how they portrayed the three sleepers, quietly vegetating away, and these are reasons why I was so protective of VDT the movie at the time.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Impending Doom » May 03, 2018 11:30 am

Liberty Hoffman wrote:That's not what I am saying - I'm saying that instead of people letting myself and others have their opinion, they would get upset and say that Dawn Treader was horrible. Many were literally proudly stating that they made sure their family and friends never went to the cinema.

You mean other users would share their thoughts on an open forum to express their differing viewpoints? Shocking. I can't speak to what happened on NarniaWeb back in 2010/11 but disagreeing (even passionately) is not the same as not allowing you to have your opinion. Again, I'm one who likely shares similar sentiments and thoughts on the VDT film.

Either way, that was years ago. I'm sure it would be quite different today.

Liberty Hoffman wrote: Storyboards? There are none. They never said anything about New Zealand. They have no cast, no crew, and no locations. They only have a script, or so they say, and that script is being revised if their word on that means anything. Having a script does not mean you have a film in pre-production.

You write very authoritatively for someone who clearly hasn't done their research on the subject. It's ironic that you've made a thread to complain about Narniaweb being too negative on a production you enjoyed, while being quite negative on another.

Joe Johnston speaking on working with his Storyboard Artist, intentions to film in New Zealand on the South Island, starting prep in July to start Filming this Winter.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » May 04, 2018 9:45 am

Liberty Hoffman wrote:Many were literally proudly stating that they made sure their family and friends never went to the cinema. And then everyone's wondering why there are no more films to date.....hmmmmm....

My understanding is that the C.S. Lewis Estate didn't want to continue working with Walden Media because of a fundamental creative difference: David Gresham wanted to make The Silver Chair next and Walden wanted to do The Magician's Nephew. Because Walden still owned the rights to make Narnia films, however, the Estate had to wait until the moratorium was over. I believe that expired last year, so things are moving at about the pace one would expect given the legal situation, but of course we're all eager for news.

Anyway...

It seems to me you're longing for the Old Days of NarniaWeb, Libby, and that's normal. I look back fondly on NarniaWeb's heyday, too. That said, I don't know what the forum will be like going forward. The internet has changed a lot in the past several years and a lot of social media platforms have sprung up that cater well to fandoms. They're good for general chat, sharing graphics and memes, posting fan theories, telling jokes, et cetera. Forums, on the other hand, work better for extensive, ongoing, linear discussion where a community of members share their thoughts and ideas on different topics. It's a better format for people who like to analyze and talk about positives and negatives, imo.

Once upon a time, a forum or a fanlisting was pretty much the only place online for fans to gather and connect, but now that NarniaWeb will be competing with the likes of Tumblr, Twitter, et cetera, I think it will impact the nature of the forum during the next era of Narnia filmmaking. Things never happen the same way twice, but I'm excited for this new chapter to begin on NarniaWeb. :)

Impending Doom wrote:Either way, that was years ago. I'm sure it would be quite different today.

Yeah, it's been many years since VDT was released and though many people continue to dislike it, it's not something that most people want to discuss at length. I won't say time heals all wounds ;)), but I think most fans are more interested in what's going to happen with The Silver Chair.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Next