Should Golg be in the film?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderator: daughter of the King

Should Golg be in the film?

Postby Skilletdude » Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pm

Golg is the Earthman Puddleglum captures after the queen is killed. In the book, he's the primary way we learn more about the Earthmen, their home in Bism, and how they thought of The Lady of the Green Kirtle. Golg is also the one who shows the group how to reach the surface and get out of Underland.

But is he necessary in The Silver Chair film? The challenge with Golg is where he appears in the story. I can't see the filmmakers wanting to take the time to establish a new character right after the main villain has been defeated and the film is trying to wrap up. This could be why the BBC version didn't include the character.

And we already have the warden Mullugutherum who leads Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum to Rilian's chambers. Wouldn't he be able to convey the same information Golg would have before they even meet the queen? Mullugutherum could reappear to help them escape too.

What do you think? Is Golg worth keeping?
Mary Jane: You know, you're taller than you look.
Peter: I hunch.
Mary Jane: Don't.
Skilletdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should Golg be in the film?

Postby narnia fan 7 » Mar 22, 2018 1:49 pm

I don't think Golg himself needs to be in the film, but his role probably does. I think you probably need some kind of gnome prospective on Queen and everything else going on, though the filmmakers could easily convey all that information visually by just showing how the gnomes react.

I like the idea of combining Golg with Mullugutherum I can definitely see them doing that. I do think it's possible they could keep Golg in the film but just reduce his role, like having him tell the travelers the gnomes mean no harm as runs past them, or something like that.
“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Mar 22, 2018 3:06 pm

I wouldn't like to see Golg's role taken up by the grumpy earthman 'M'.
Golg shows the delight in being set free, and the joy of being able to go home. Keeping the contrast is important, although I hope 'M' also gets to feel joy at that time in the story (but he is a leader, an oppressive overlord of earthmen, not an underling like Golg)/
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby narnia fan 7 » Mar 22, 2018 4:44 pm

coracle wrote:I wouldn't like to see Golg's role taken up by the grumpy earthman 'M'.
Golg shows the delight in being set free, and the joy of being able to go home. Keeping the contrast is important, although I hope 'M' also gets to feel joy at that time in the story (but he is a leader, an oppressive overlord of earthmen, not an underling like Golg)/

Hmm, I don't know about that last part. I get the impression from the book that the gnomes were all equally being oppressed and used by the Queen and were all equally happy to see her gone so they could return home. None of them were serving her willingly or even want too be there. I don't really get the sense that Mullugutherum wanted to be a leader of the gnomes anymore then Golg wanted to be doing mindless labor.

Come to think of it, making the gnome who captures Jill, Eustace, and Piddleglum the same one who they meet later after the Queen is dead could potentially make the contrast of the gnomes before and after the Queens death stronger in the film. Though I'm not sure that's what I want them to do.
“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Should Golg be in the film?k a

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 23, 2018 1:27 am

And we already have the warden Mullugutherum who leads Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum to Rilian's chambers. Wouldn't he be able to convey the same information Golg would have before they even meet the queen? Mullugutherum could reappear to help them escape too.

Yes, there does need to be some explanation of the Earthmen. The explorers also need directing to the new diggings they have heard about. But Prince Rilian had been told about them, and when disenchanted he didn't have the memory blocks that he had whilst enchanted.

And yes, Mullugutherum or the Warden, if they are not the same Earthman, would be a good idea to combine with Golg. I agree that the change from an enchanted earthman to a disenchanted earthman might be considerably more dramatic if that enchanted earthman was a bossy type to begin, with rather than the innocent Golg. But would Mullugutherum, remembering what he did as an enchanted being, really want to stick around long enough to explain anything? And if the other Earthmen remembered Mullugutherum as a past leader, wouldn't he need to hide from them as well?

There was a pig-like gnome who might have been a disenchanted Mullugutherum, gobbling up left-overs but in the story, you couldn't see his heels for dust once the travellers went back to where they were dining to get some butter and a bandage for Puddleglum's injured foot. (We'd use icepacks these days). Also, I gather that the said Mullugutherum was one of the bigger gnomes. On the other hand, the pig-like gnome (Golg) would be the first port of call for info about the gnomes and would lead the travellers around on a merry dance before being captured. No horses then would be necessary.

It depends on what the characters need to get out of the castle and to the exit the gnomes were telling the Queen about. It also depends on how much about the gnomes we need to know. Is there a map somewhere around? And would Bism even be included? It depends on what the film is planning.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Anfinwen » Mar 23, 2018 10:47 am

Great topic!
narnia fan 7 wrote:I think you probably need some kind of gnome prospective on Queen and everything else going on, though the filmmakers could easily convey all that information visually by just showing how the gnomes react.

That's similar to what I was thinking. I don't think Golg is necessary, but I agree an explanation is needed, and more than that. The freeing of the earthmen isn't some minor point; it one of the strange, fanciful quirks Lewis throws in that makes Narnia so different. I see the point about it being odd right after the climax; so why not include it in the next climax? The road leads the travelers right past the mouth of Bism; they see the earthmen jumping in and others turning to fight. They halt and ask what's going on, and the truth comes out told by many earthmen in turn. It shortens the time by cutting out the capture of Golg but still sets up the invitation to Bism. It also would give the camera lots of chances to show Bism during the earthmen's story.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Good idea for a discussion!

I can imagine the filmmakers going the "Mullugolgerum" route, but I rather hope they don't... there's a certain street urchin quality to Golg that I think would be lost if they combined his character with the Warden, and the joy of the gnomes' liberation seems a lot more fitting coming from a childlike, scampish person than an administrative figure.

I think I would prefer for them to introduce an enchanted Golg earlier during the Underland adventures. There's a line shortly after the questers meet the gnomes that says Jill felt like she would rather like to cheer them up, but in the movie, the filmmakers will have to figure out a way to show this. You could have some sort of interaction between Jill and doleful little Golg to show her compassion and illustrate what he was like before the enchantment was broken. His appearance after the Queen's death won't seem as random after that.
—The Rose-Tree Dryad, a.k.a. Rose @};-
NW sister to Melian_Maia, lover of narnia, Elanor and juzuma loves lucy + NW twin to MissRosario
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Glumpuddle » May 04, 2018 6:53 pm

This is definitely one of those tangential things that would be the easiest thing in the world to cut. But they shouldn't.

Maybe they don't have to include Golg. But they have to keep Bism in there in some form.

The reason in a nutshell: If you remove all the wonderful atmospheric stuff that isn't essential to the narrative, all you are left with is a generic fantasy quest movie. We're talking about the stuff that defines The Chronicles of Narnia and sets it apart. Which is the stuff that the Walden movies mostly left out (statues being restored, Aslan playing with the girls, Bacchus and Silenus, most of the final few chapters of VDT, etc). Filtering all that out might not necessarily produce a bad movie... It just probably won't be anything memorable, and it won't be Narnia.

I believe the lasting appeal of Narnia has more to do with the world and atmosphere than it does with the narrative. Don't skim over the awe and wonder of the world having an actual bottom where you can go and see pure gold created.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Fanatic
News Poster

Postby Lilygloves » May 15, 2018 12:52 pm

I think they could cut the character out since he's mostly used as exposition to explain the earthmen's perspective. However, they would need to address why these creatures are no longer threats to the main characters after the witch dies.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just visually showed the earthmen "waking up" and seeing the crack in the earth and all that instead of having a specific character to explain it. I could also see the earthmen trying to attack the group and to raise the tension and then when the witch is destroyed then they stop.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie