This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Channel Awesome Producer Discusses Narnia

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Channel Awesome Producer Discusses Narnia

Postby NarnianTourist » Jun 02, 2017 10:03 am

I was browsing through Channel Awesome's site and stumbled across this fellow's take on the Narnia trilogy. He had somewhat of a different perspective on some of the themes presented in the Chronicles, as well as an interesting opinion on the controversial VODT adaptation. I thought it would make for good discussion while we wait for the next bit of Silver Chair news. He makes an analysis that the recurring theme of the Chronicles is about adulthood and responsibility. Thoughts, anyone?

You can watch the full video here:
http://channelawesome.com/a-look-back-t ... er-buster/

For those of you unfamiliar with the site, it's a hosting site for several popular topical shows on film, music, books, video games and other facets of nerd culture. Shows such as Nostalgia Critic, Chris Stuckman, Blistered Thumbs, etc.
"Art is the imposing pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern"

--Alfred North Whitehead
NarnianTourist
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Channel Awesome Producer Discusses Narnia

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jun 14, 2017 10:08 pm

This fellow seems to have an unconventional take on the themes, to be sure. The first thing that I note about his review is that he doesn't seem to be that acquainted with the books. I wouldn't doubt that he's read them, but little tells throughout the video gives away his hazyness or unfamiliarity. And although everyone is entitled to their opinion, his mentioning that VDT was his least favorite book, even going so far as to say that the movie improved upon the book, leads me to wonder if he truly understood the nature of the story in the first place.

I do not agree that the novels are specifically about growing up, or have WW2 metaphors. WW2 was the setting, not the subject.

With that said, he did have some good points about VDT having some issues borrowing from other films during the climax. I also particularly agreed with his critism that Edmund wouldn't be tempted by the witch since he'd learned his lesson two movies prior.
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie