This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Director for Silver Chair

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Director for Silver Chair

Postby wolfloversk » May 22, 2017 10:43 pm

If we have to go with someone who's well known, I'd have to say Johnston is one of the better choices. His previous works seem to suggest he is good at doing big fantasy films, but he can dig deep and tell a character story as well.

I, personally, am very content, even cautiously optomistic, with this choice as there isn't a movie I've seen by him that I don't like.

In fact, I'm wondering how many of his movies have NWers, and how many have they enjoyed vs disliked?

I have seen both Jumanji and Honey I Shrunk the Kids when I was very young, and though I don't remember them well, I remember enjoying them a lot.

Since then I've seen October Sky which I found very endearing and I thought it was very well told. It's a good example of a more character based story, that I feel was done right. The Rocketeer was a more comedic, but equally enjoyable tale that's a bit outside his normal slate of films.

Jurassic Park III gets a lot of hate from fans of the franchise, but of the first three it was my personal favorite. It moved faster than the first one, but I felt more invested in the character's lives than I did in the second one. (Plus I loved how they set up the raptors in the movie as intelligent, social animals, as opposed to the flesh-eating movie monsters they were before).

Captain America I feel is one of the best movies in the MCU. The characters feel very real, and I don't feel any jarringly delivered character lines like I do with some of the others. Sometimes it feels more like a period film than a superhero one, but only in the best of ways.

Finally, Hidalgo occupies a well earned spot on my favorite movies shelf. I feel it is highly underrated (though historical accuracy of the source material is questionable). It's another great piece that demonstrates how well he can do character based movies... admittedly with action scenes, but I've always felt the focus was more on the characters than the action.

Basically, as I stated, there's really not a movie by him that I watched which I didn't enjoy :P So I have a good feeling that even if it's not my dream adaptation, I will at least enjoy the Silver Chair as a movie.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby coracle » May 23, 2017 2:59 am

Impending Doom wrote:As long as David Magee is attached to write The Silver Chair I will be excited and first in line to see the film.

You don't need a Spike Jonze when you have a script from a two time Academy Award nominee. It would be nice but at the same time an experienced, talented, flexible, director (Joe Johnston) is more than able to translate that on the big screen and make it something special.

I don't quite understand what you meant above - the script has been finished for months, so unless Joe is going to make lots of changes, I assume it's all going ahead, script-wise!
Can anyone else clarify?
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Impending Doom » May 23, 2017 5:53 am

coracle wrote:
Impending Doom wrote:As long as David Magee is attached to write The Silver Chair I will be excited and first in line to see the film.

You don't need a Spike Jonze when you have a script from a two time Academy Award nominee. It would be nice but at the same time an experienced, talented, flexible, director (Joe Johnston) is more than able to translate that on the big screen and make it something special.

I don't quite understand what you meant above - the script has been finished for months, so unless Joe is going to make lots of changes, I assume it's all going ahead, script-wise!
Can anyone else clarify?

That's what I was (trying) to say. Joe Johnston has a leg up Andrew Adamson and Micheal Apted because he has a David Magee script to start with. I know most of the heavy lifting with the script has already happened.

What I meant by the first comment is that as long as David Magee remains the sole writer of The Silver Chair, I will be excited.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous