This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Mark Gordon Interview - SC/Narnia Reboot

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Postby Impending Doom » Jan 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Collider has brought us an official update from producer Mark Gordon! There's a few things in the article that are worth mentioning. The most interesting thing was when Gordon asked if the original cast would return his reply was:
No, it’s all going to be a brand new franchise. All original. All original characters, different directors, and an entire new team that this is coming from.

- Will Poulter isn't coming back! Although we all figured he wouldn't be returning, it's just weird to actually have it confirmed. I guess this means Liam Neeson and Ben Barnes won't be returning either.

- Gordon seem to have a good idea of where the franchise is heading and what director they want - or at least who they don't want.

- When he says they're "hoping to be able to make the movie very shortly." I think he's referring to logistics rather than any legal restrictions from the moratorium.

- People around the internet are labelling this as a reboot but I don't see this as that. How is this a reboot when they’re just doing the next book? Revitalization is a better word for The Silver Chair.

Link to article: http://collider.com/chronicles-of-narnia-silver-chair-reboot/
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Mark Gordon Interview

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 12, 2016 7:24 pm

Wow! Thanks for the quick posting, ID; I was looking up news on Silver Chair early today and this hadn't been published yet.

My brain is kind of reeling at the moment, but overall: I'm very pleased with the content of the interview. Though I'm sorry that it didn't work out for Will Poulter to reprise his role, he was just too old and I'm relieved that they're recasting Eustace. I also like the fact that it sounds like they're really distancing themselves from the original trilogy, if you want to call it that. I've always been less than enthused about those films as a whole, and I'm thrilled that they are taking a fresh new approach to adapting these stories to film.

I like the term "revitalization" as well. Or perhaps even "reimagining."

I do find myself wondering, though: they're so adamant about having "all original" everything, does this mean that we won't see any role reprisals with actors from the first three films? (Tilda Swinton, for instance, has talked about being interested in returning as Jadis in MN.) Is this a clean break from the Walden trilogy? I'm both excited and saddened by that possibility.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Impending Doom » Jan 12, 2016 8:14 pm

We did only get a couple of very brief quotes from Mark Gordon so it's very possible that he was just trying to make a statement to audiences that this will be different from first 3 films. It sounded to me like he was really trying to sell that. So it's still possible.

It all depends on how far they want to take this 'new franchise' away from the original trilogy. Will the first three films be considered canon - or will they change things up in terms of the design (Cair Paravel, the look of Aslan)?
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 12, 2016 9:07 pm

The phrase "absolutely new franchise" seems a bit strange to me, given that the four remaining books to be filmed (SC, HHB, MN and LB) don't exactly fit together like a normal Hollywood franchise. (Not that that's a problem with me, but it would be unusual for Hollywood.)

Weird thought, but what if they're considering doing a complete reboot, but they're just beginning with SC? Perhaps in the order of SC, LB, MN, LWW, HHB, PC, VDT? I know that sounds weird, but it doesn't seem completely impossible either, provided that The Silver Chair is a success and they feel that more Narnia films will make more money. Obviously, were you to order the films in this way, you'd have to recast Eustace and the Pevensies as younger actors and actresses when LWW and VDT rolled around. On the bright side, the adult versions of the Pevensies from LB would still be available for HHB. Perhaps this idea is just too out there, though. 8-}

I'm hoping that we'll get some further comments from the filmmakers soon. Mr. Gordon's quotes do seem a bit off-the-cuff, so I wonder if we're getting the wrong idea about anything. Regardless, it's exciting to hear that they're hoping to begin on this film very shortly. Perhaps this hundred year winter (metaphorically speaking) of frozen Narnia filmmaking is finally beginning to give way to spring! :D
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jan 12, 2016 10:05 pm

I'm glad we have an update feels like it's been forever, I think that by " New franchise" he might mean a kind of rebranding of the series and that they will act like the first three films didn't happen in that they won't worry about continuity.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glumpuddle » Jan 12, 2016 10:32 pm

We were already pretty sure Poulter would not be back. And Liam and Barnes not returning isn't a huge shock either.

The implication that they are rebooting (abandoning continuity with the other movies) might feel like huge news... But here's the thing: With a new cast and several years of separation since VDT released, it would be very difficult NOT to make SC a reboot. The story has very few direct ties to the others and only two returning characters. It's also the first book to have a clear main character, and is a clear shift in tone for the series. So, it really makes very little difference weather they decide to keep continuity with the other movies. It will effectively be a reboot either way. (Except: Officially rebooting would mean we could all stop worrying about the green mist coming back)

I have been suggesting they reboot using SC for years, so I guess this new report gives me an overall positive feeling. I would still like to see them go one step further and remove "The Chronicles of Narnia" from the title. But I doubt they'll be that bold.

Impending Doom wrote:We did only get a couple of very brief quotes from Mark Gordon so it's very possible that he was just trying to make a statement to audiences that this will be different from first 3 films.

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote: Mr. Gordon's quotes do seem a bit off-the-cuff, so I wonder if we're getting the wrong idea about anything.

I agree completely. The context of this exchange seems fairly casual, so I'm reluctant to put his words under a microscope too much.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby mm1991 » Jan 13, 2016 4:12 am

Of course I am sad the original cast isn't coming back but that was to be expected. I'm not surprised. I am surprised though that Liam Neeson isn't coming back. His voice was perfect for Aslan.

I'm excited that we finally have some concrete news after all this time!
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 13, 2016 6:59 am

I completely agree with your posts rose-tree Dryad and glumPuddle. When I saw this post on Facebook I was honestly thinking that if they were to reboot this why not reboot the entire series? SC is a perfect story to start it off. Rose your layout does make sense by going from this movie to seeing Narnia's end. Then have MN follow that to see how it all started is genius.

glumPuddle I also like the idea of not using the 'the chronicles of narnia' tag line too. Without that and with a good trailer audiences won't be reminded of the previous movies and will want to see this.

One thing I am happy about is feeling relieved that Jadis will most likely not return in this one by magic or whatsoever. I am excited to see the new cast members especially Eustace. Also I about screamed when Mark Gordon said they'll be starting on this shortly.

Further up, and further in!
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Jan 13, 2016 7:28 am

I agree the term "reboot" isn't quite correct. A reboot would be starting the series over from scratch, and that's not what's happening.

mm1991 wrote:. I am surprised though that Liam Neeson isn't coming back. His voice was perfect for Aslan.
They probably can't afford him.

The recasting of the characters doesn't bother me that much. What will be jarring (for me) though is redesigning of the creatures. Particularly Trumpkin as he was such a prominent character in PC. But hey, maybe we won't have minotaurs around this time, right? ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Glumpuddle » Jan 13, 2016 8:45 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:I agree the term "reboot" isn't quite correct. A reboot would be starting the series over from scratch, and that's not what's happening.

If they are abandoning any continuity with the Walden movies and forming their own new universe, I think that qualifies as a "reboot." The door would be open to eventually make their own versions of LWW, PC, and VDT within the new continuity. (Not saying that will happen, just making a point)

But my guess is that this issue will always be vague. We are not going to get an official "yes it's a reboot, this is a totally new continuity" statement from the production. This is the conflict reboots usually face in marketing: Attract a new crowd without aliening the old one. Get the fans of the old movies excited about seeing a sequel, and get everyone else excited about something totally new and fresh that has nothing to do with the other movies.
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Jan 13, 2016 8:50 am

Indeed, we're just arguing the definition of a term here, and it really has no bearing on what the production intends to do. We're getting The Silver Chair next (if at all), not The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe again (or The Magician's Nephew).
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Glumpuddle » Jan 13, 2016 8:53 am

^ I agree that, in the short-term at least, this is not as big of a deal as it might seem. So, Cair Paravel and Trumpkin will look different, we'll have new musical themes, and a new cast. That would basically be it.
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 13, 2016 9:09 am

I really like the idea of dropping "The Chronicles of Narnia" from the title as well, gP and Damsel. I hope they have the nerve to do it!

I know it's too early to be thinking about a full reboot, but I can't help it. :P Some thoughts on how they might order a full franchise reboot starting from SC:

The first collection of stories would be SC, HHB, and LB. HHB would be next after SC because it introduces us with the adult versions of the Pevensies, who we will meet again in The Last Battle. While HHB is still something of an outlier in the storytelling narrative, I can see it working as a sort of "Rogue One" within a larger set of films. The Last Battle then finishes this set, closing the story of these characters for the time being.

MN would likely follow next. MN is one of those stories that doesn't have a clear place in the series, but I expect that it would be made within the four next films because Gresham has expressed wanting to see all of the remaining books made into movies and he's 70 now. While I think I might personally prefer MN preceding LB, you may run the risk of Eustace and Jill's actors aging out of their roles, and nobody wants to go through that again with Eustace's character.

Then, LWW, PC, and VDT. I'm thinking these films would be akin to what "The Hobbit" trilogy was to "Lord of the Rings"—a prequel series. Obviously, you would need to cast child actors in the roles of the Pevensies and Eustace, but I don't think that's a problem as long as the casting is good. Also, I would think that enough time would have passed since the Walden trilogy that the public would be interested in a new interpretation of LWW, PC and VDT.

I know this is probably jumping the gun, but it's still really interesting to consider.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Impending Doom » Jan 13, 2016 9:19 am

Regardless, I'm just pleased we're getting another Narnia film. The Silver Chair has the most potencial to be great since LWW. We have passionate and talented filmmakers (so far) and they're not tied down by restrictions of previous instalments!

I don't think we'll see them remake the first 3 movies though - it's still too soon and I don't see how you make them different enough. That could all change if The Silver Chair is received well though.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Mark Gordon Interview - SC/Narnia Reboot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Hmm, now that I think about it, I think you probably could include MN before LB. If Jill and Eustace are age eleven in SC (vulnerable first years at Hogwarts feels like about the right age to me), then in five years—plenty of time to make MN and HHB—the actors will be around sixteen, which is the age that Jill and Eustace were in LB according to Lewis's timeline. I wouldn't be surprised if the new franchise that Gordon is talking about is SC, MN, HHB and LB. That order feels pretty intuitive to me, but we'll see. Again, probably jumping the gun on this. ;))

I have to say... as much as I loved Will Poulter's Eustace, it's such a relief to not have to worry about Eustace looking and sounding like a man anymore! The story works much better with pre-adolescent children, in my opinion.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: Mark Gordon Interview - SC/Narnia Reboot

Postby Glumpuddle » Jan 13, 2016 2:44 pm

If this is a proper sequel to the 2010 Dawn Treader movie, I think we will get a clear answer labeling it so. But if it's a "reboot" as far as continuity, I think they will always be vague about it. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if we are still debating the question after seeing the movie.

I have decided to use the word "reboot" as little as possible going forward. It's a tricky word that gets thrown around too much.

In a story sense, people usually mean starting with a totally fresh continuity...

But the media often calls The Force Awakens a reboot in the sense that it is restarting a franchise that has been idle for many years and has lost a lot of momentum (and the fact that it's kind of a soft remake of the original Star Wars). In that sense, The Silver Chair will be a "reboot" no matter what.
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

Next