This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Sony Distribution - RUMOR

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Sony Distribution - RUMOR

Postby fantasia » Jun 25, 2015 2:08 pm

I figured I'd go ahead and start this thread so people can keep their eyes peeled for news on the subject as we're thinking this will be one of the next big stories, and also I guess this specific tidbit of news is popping up on other Narnia fan sites.

A while back we learned that Sony was talking with the Mark Gordman Co. and the C.S. Lewis Estate about distributing 'The Silver Chair.' Nothing official that we could publish as news ever came out of it, and frankly this is pretty old now, but if it turns out to be true, what are your thoughts?

Personally I had hoped when I heard Mr. Gresham talk about doing the rest of the movies independently, that meant that we were done with all of the big companies "helping" out with the movies. I am of the opinion that was the biggest problem with VDT... too many people/companies weighing in on what should and shouldn't be in the movie and we ended up with a jumbled mess.
But I also know that money has to come from somewhere, so maybe they didn't feel they had a choice but to bring on a big movie company to help.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Sony Distribution - RUMOR

Postby Lake Lachrymose » Jun 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks for creating the thread! I was recalling this rumor about Sony in my mind a few days ago and was wondering what happened since then.

Well, if it ends up being confirmed, I don't know what to think exactly. I'm with you on the argument that what Gresham told us about doing the movies independently was pretty exciting in many ways, but just like you said, the money has to come from somewhere, but I don't understand nothing about contracts and companies and these things, so I don't know what they are planning or trying to do. When they did the adaptation for A Series of Unfortunate Events, the Nickelodeon Movies produced and Paramount Pictures was responsible for the distribution in the US, while DreamWorks Pictures was responsible for the international release. Maybe that's what will happen with TSC. Again, I have no idea of how these things work, so I hope someone here can throw some light on the issue for us!
“In The Chronicles of Narnia we feel the magical comfort of that eternal optimism, that belief that the best is somehow always yet to come.” — Claire Fallon
Lake Lachrymose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Impending Doom » Jun 25, 2015 3:42 pm

Sony... They're losing James Bond after Spectre, lost the Steve Jobs film to Universal, tried to do to much with The Amazing Spider Man then had to let Marvel take over the future to 'save' it, they're making an all female version of 21 Jumpstreet and planning a Men in Black crossover. Oh and a Ghostbusters cinematic universe too!

At this point Sony is willing to get their hands on anything with name recognition. It would be nice to get a good sized budget but there's so much disfunction with Sony itself right now that I'd like Narnia to stay away.

How long ago did Narniaweb hear these rumours - if I may ask?

Personally I had hoped when I heard Mr. Gresham talk about doing the rest of the movies independently, that meant that we were done with all of the big companies "helping" out with the movies. I am of the opinion that was the biggest problem with VDT...

I agree but that was when the studio was involved right from the begining where as now they'd be coming together after they agreed on the script.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Jun 25, 2015 4:34 pm

Impending Doom wrote:How long ago did Narniaweb hear these rumours - if I may ask?

The news came from that big Sony hack last November as part of those private emails. I don't know how old those emails were.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Lake Lachrymose » Jun 25, 2015 4:38 pm

Impending Doom wrote:At this point Sony is willing to get their hands on anything with name recognition. It would be nice to get a good sized budget but there's so much disfunction with Sony itself right now that I'd like Narnia to stay away.

Where is the lie, haha. This makes me nervous in a lot of ways, actually.
“In The Chronicles of Narnia we feel the magical comfort of that eternal optimism, that belief that the best is somehow always yet to come.” — Claire Fallon
Lake Lachrymose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Jun 25, 2015 4:53 pm

I really don't understand all the ins and outs of this stuff :P but what I do know is that I was really hoping a big company would not become involved, for then they seem to think they can do anything they want :-s to a timeless and beloved tale. 8-| :ymsigh:Small and personal is good ... except maybe for the money aspect :P but I would much rather see not so big-a-budget production, with the final result being a faithful story, than lots of glitz and glimmer without the depth and beauty and integrity of Lewis' tale. Especially if Sony is so dysfunctional right now, ugh.
johobbit

Postby Impending Doom » Jun 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Apparently, Sony and MGC have been in contact since November 17 of 2013. Hannah Minghella who is President of production at Columbia Pictures and head of "getting Narnia" according to Amy Pascel has been representing Sony. It's an interesting read and I'll post the highlights here.

November 2013, Hannah to Amy: "Just got a lovely call from Mark Gordon to say the. C. S. Lewis family LOVED the letter I sent them and they want to meet me. They're closing a deal for David Magee to adapt The Silver Chair."

December 2014, Regarding the news that David Magee had been hired, Amy sent a link of the article on Variety to Hannah. She replied: "Yes, I knew about this. They had such a horrendous experience on the last two movies at Walden that their plan was always to pay for and develop a script themselves before setting it up but given my passion and insistence they are willing to meet in the New Year and maybe make a deal with us now and let us be involved in the development. Mark asked me if I liked David and I said yes. His strength is in book adaptations."

March 2014: "I got my Narnia meeting. They want me to come meet them next week. I need to work out how British they're going to be and whether it's best for me to do it solo or have you guys swing by to emphasize how much the whole studio loves it. Will let you know. Very excited."

August 2014, The Mark Gordon Comany sent an email to Amy: "Narnia looking good. You are the only studio in the race at the moment. Working on script. I love Hanna."

September 2014, Hannah to Amy: "Mark saw a first draft that needed work so he said he'd share with me in a few weeks. He promises me they aren't talking to anyone else and we'll have the script soon."

September 2014, Amy to Hannah: "When are we getting Narnia? Call Mark Gordon about Narnia!"

October 2014: Sony Included Narnia on their state for 2017.

November 2014 was the last email (that was leaked) regarding Narnia and it was about how important it was for them to get Narnia.

This was only 7 months ago so there's a definite possibility that Sony will be distributing The Silver Chair. With the "final draft" complete we could see this come together pretty fast.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jun 25, 2015 7:18 pm

I really hope thy don't get involved with a major studio again I agree with fantasia_kitty that one of the many problems with VDT was that thy had too many cooks in the kitchen so too speak, and if thy have to get a major studio to finance Sony would be the last one would want.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lake Lachrymose » Jun 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Thank you so much, Impending Doom! I agree, I think there's a huge chance that Sony will get TSC. If it's true, they're the only studio in the run and by these emails it's pretty clear that Mark wanted them to make a deal. The delay on the news about the movie is certainly because of these contracts issues.
Lake Lachrymose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jun 26, 2015 7:04 am

Great job Impending Doom! I was only able to find the first two emails looks like their is more to this rumor then I thought, not sure how I feel about it. is it possible that Sony and The Mark Gorden co have made a deal and just not announced it yet?
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jun 26, 2015 10:41 am

Leaked Sony email wrote:They had such a horrendous experience on the last two movies at Walden that their plan was always to pay for and develop a script themselves before setting it up

This was the most intriguing part of the leaked emails for sure. I hadn't given much thought to the fact that the script was being written before a larger studio got involved (is that normal for movie productions?), but it sounds like it was an effort by the C. S. Lewis Estate and the Mark Gordon Company to keep the script from being contaminated with studio agendas. I would imagine the two companies are now looking for a studio that will accept the script more or less as is.

Makes me wonder a) what would happen if they don't find a studio that likes the script and b) will the director be able to change the script or are they also looking for a director that will take the script as is.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Future Narnian » Jun 26, 2015 12:58 pm

Sony cut the Hart to Hart DVDs off after Season 2 (of five) and Charlie's Angels after Season 4 (of five), both of which have only recently been rectified by independent DVD companies. (Angels came out last fall, H2H's fifth season finally came out June 10.) So I'm not real high on Sony at this point:)
Future Narnian
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Impending Doom » Jun 26, 2015 1:36 pm

Reepicheep775 wrote: This was the most intriguing part of the leaked emails for sure. I hadn't given much thought to the fact that the script was being written before a larger studio got involved (is that normal for movie productions?), but it sounds like it was an effort by the C. S. Lewis Estate and the Mark Gordon Company to keep the script from being contaminated with studio agendas. I would imagine the two companies are now looking for a studio that will accept the script more or less as is

The fact that Hannah made a point of saying that the MGC were willing to pay for and develop the script implies - to me at least - that it's not a a regular occurrence in Hollywood.

I know a lot can happen to 7 months but I believe that they've already reached a deal with Sony to distribute. They were just waiting for David Magee to finish the final draft of the script. Now that it's complete, an announcement could be coming very soon.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Rogin » Jun 27, 2015 5:58 pm

I looks like Sony will be distributing. From the emails they sound like they have some sort of passion whether that passion is strictly monetary we'll see. Mark seems to like the lady who's talking with them so that's huge.

I believe there's still a lot of potential for another Narnia movie that's well executed...

Here's another quote from the Hannah lady. At least she knows he needs to be good...
Rogin
NarniaWeb Regular