This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Silver Chair Script - Fake Rumor

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Silver Chair Script - Fake Rumor

Postby Impending Doom » Jun 29, 2015 1:31 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:*Sigh*

Well, I think we have some more safeguards in place now for the future in case something like this happens again....sorry everybody.

Don't fret too much. You guys even waited a few days to post the news! No one is going to blame you for believing the fake account. It fooled us all.

This will have done more good than harm in the long run. It built some excitement, shown the production there is lots of interest in another film, and we got a couple of titbits about the script from the Narnia Facebook page.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Rogin » Jun 29, 2015 7:36 pm

The real David Magee has joined Twitter and Facebook! His account is @realdavidmagee! I'm almost positive this one is legit.
Rogin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Jun 29, 2015 7:43 pm

^^ I'll believe it when Twitter gives it a blue verified badge. :P
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby wolfloversk » Jun 29, 2015 8:00 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:^^ I'll believe it when Twitter gives it a blue verified badge. :P

This. Definitely this.

Gah... 'tis very frustrating when people pull on your heartstrings like that! And no worries to you news posters you did what anyone would have done in that scenario!
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Impending Doom » Jun 29, 2015 8:24 pm

Rogin wrote:The real David Magee has joined Twitter and Facebook! His account is @realdavidmagee! I'm almost positive this one is legit.

You must think we’re blooming soft in the head, that you must, we’ve been taken in once and now you expect us to be taken in again the next minute?!
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 29, 2015 9:16 pm

Impending Doom wrote:You must think we’re blooming soft in the head, that you must, we’ve been taken in once and now you expect us to be taken in again the next minute?!

=))

I wouldn't be that surprised if these new accounts are legitimate. If I had found out that someone was impersonating me on social media and causing all sorts of trouble under my name, I'd probably be keen on setting up some official accounts to prevent anything like that from happening in the future, so that could be what's going on here. Still, color me skeptical for the time being. :P
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Varnafinde » Jun 30, 2015 1:43 am

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:If I had found out that someone was impersonating me on social media and causing all sorts of trouble under my name, I'd probably be keen on setting up some official accounts to prevent anything like that from happening in the future, so that could be what's going on here. Still, color me skeptical for the time being. :P

If I would set up an official account with that purpose, I would just use my name and not add 'real' to it. 'Varna' would sound more official than 'realVarna' (if that had been my real name ;) ). There's something about "protesting too much" ...
I think you have every reason to be skeptical.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Impending Doom » Jun 30, 2015 6:12 am

Well his wife is following the account and I've contacted his assistant, Luke Durett and he assures me that it's really David.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 30, 2015 8:55 am

Some people have too much time on their hands. I'm surprised someone took that much trouble to fake Narnia News. Some bigger projects sure but Narnia? Whoever did it must not understand Narnia and what Narnia stands for. I don't believe that the "realdavidmagee" account is real. (No offense intended Impending Doom) Like FK said I won't believe it until it is verified and even then I might not. Why would the fake account point to the "real" one? The Narnia facebook page says that David Magee is not on social media. I think I'm more upset that someone would be this dishonest and that we fell for it than I am that we don't have any real news.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Impending Doom » Jun 30, 2015 9:25 am

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:Some people have too much time on their hands. I'm surprised someone took that much trouble to fake Narnia News. Some bigger projects sure but Narnia? Whoever did it must not understand Narnia and what Narnia stands for. I don't believe that the "realdavidmagee" account is real. (No offense intended Impending Doom)

No offence taken, I can't blame you for not trusting the account after all this.

But regarding what you said about the person not understanding Narnia and what it stands for, to a lot of people Narnia just stands for an amazing story that means a lot to them. Just because you take something from the series that others may not, doesn't mean they must not understand what Narnia is. I'm equally upset that someone would lie about this but please don't discredit what those people feel about the series.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 30, 2015 9:56 am

Impending Doom wrote: But regarding what you said about the person not understanding Narnia and what it stands for, to a lot of people Narnia just stands for an amazing story that means a lot to them. Just because you take something from the series that others may not, doesn't mean they must not understand what Narnia is. I'm equally upset that someone would lie about this but please don't discredit what those people feel about the series.

I am not discrediting what people in general feel about the series. They are more than welcome to consider Narnia "an amazing story that means a lot to them." I did not get anywhere from the fake "David Magee" accounts that the person was a fan of Narnia or the Narnia series. It is hard to believe that anyone could find Narnia "an amazing story that means a lot to them" and then make up a fake news story. Simply put the stories point to the difference between right and wrong. I was also referring to the Narnia Books and not the movies although I didn't make that clear.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Impending Doom » Jun 30, 2015 10:31 am

Pattertwigs Pal wrote: I am not discrediting what people in general feel about the series. They are more than welcome to consider Narnia "an amazing story that means a lot to them." I did not get anywhere from the fake "David Magee" accounts that the person was a fan of Narnia or the Narnia series. It is hard to believe that anyone could find Narnia "an amazing story that means a lot to them" and then make up a fake news story. Simply put the stories point to the difference between right and wrong.

I apologize. I oversimplied what you said and made it out to be something you didn't intend. I just have a real gripe with this fandom that we make unbelievers feel very unwelcome like they can't be true fans if they personally don't care for the Christian symbolism. And I kind of took it out on you and for that I'm sorry.

The user did post something along the lines of "I'm actually a big fan of Narnia and I hope the real David does a good job writing the script" but they seem to of taken it down now. I just don't think someone who doesn't have a genuine interest in Narnia would take the time nor care enough to fake such an elaborate scheme.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 30, 2015 11:27 am

Varnafinde wrote:If I would set up an official account with that purpose, I would just use my name and not add 'real' to it. 'Varna' would sound more official than 'realVarna' (if that had been my real name ;) ). There's something about "protesting too much" ...
I think you have every reason to be skeptical.

Good point! I've seen a few celebrities with account names that have "real" or "official" tacked on somewhere, just because someone else already took their name on that particular social media site, but it does seem to temper the validity of its appearance. (Will the real David Magee please stand up? :P) I wouldn't be at all shocked if the same scammer is behind it, but we'll see.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Rogin » Jun 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Impending Doom wrote: You must think we’re blooming soft in the head, that you must, we’ve been taken in once and now you expect us to be taken in again the next minute?!

Well played sir. Well played.
Rogin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wolfloversk » Jul 02, 2015 8:51 pm

I'm not upset at the news turning out to be untrue either. I'm just concerned for everyone caught on the wrong end of this. I know it's just some people trying to make a practical joke, but I wish they thought it through...

For starters the fans, who've been desperate for news for so long, now are just upset. Secondly, the news people from the various pages that got taken in by this all strive for accuracy, and I can imagine this is quite upsetting for them. I do hope they forgive themselves, because this is certainly not their fault. Finally, the Narnia team and the actual David Magee are all probably seriously concerned about safety now... especially when some of the photos that were stolen and shared involved children...

These are some very serious consequences for something that a the time may have seemed like harmless fun. I'm not angry, because I feel I'm not the one who was directly impacted by this. Thus, I don't feel should be angry, but I am very disappointed in the person or persons who did not consider the people they could affect with their actions. And concerned for those affected.

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote: I wouldn't be at all shocked if the same scammer is behind it, but we'll see.

Same here, Rose. Trying to keep the joke going. I hope not, but I don't like it :P
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby coracle » Jul 03, 2015 12:41 am

Impending Doom wrote:Well his wife is following the account and I've contacted his assistant, Luke Durett and he assures me that it's really David.

Ah, I've talked about this with you on FB!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5912912/
https://www.facebook.com/funlunchables
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCAYWzXzdaU

NarniaWeb is, understandably, cautious about whose information it accepts.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

PreviousNext