This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Will we ever see Silver Chair?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Will we ever see Silver Chair?

Postby Rogin » Nov 12, 2014 5:06 pm

It's been over a year since the news broke that The Mark Gordon would be developing our beloved Silver Chair along with the Lewis Estate. What have we learned about the production since then...

1. 2 time Acadmeny Award winner David Magee will be writing the screenplay.
2. Filmmakers opened a contest for fans to name the LotGK.

I understand that it takes a while to finalize a script and what not. But I'm not sure why it's taking so long, I mean it took David Magee 10 month to write Life of Pi which I get considering the source material. I'm just starting to think that we won't be seeing this film.

Is anyone else feeling the same or am I alone on this boat?
Rogin
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Will we ever see Silver Chair?

Postby coracle » Nov 13, 2014 1:54 am

Hi Rogin

Here is one other fact to help clarify the waiting time:
There is a moratorium (waiting time) in place which prevents the new filmmakers getting on with it yet. After Walden Media's option expired and was not renewed by the Lewis Estate, by law there is a gap of seven years between the last film and the release of the next one (by a new producer). This means they have lots of time to prepare - but if it doesn't come out until 2017 this explains why no casting, locations etc have yet been announced.

See "Narnia Movie FAQ" above.
There is also useful information in the thread How to Market The Silver Chair. http://forum.narniaweb.com/viewtopic.php?p=283563#p283563
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Rogin » Nov 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks coracle! :)

I checked the film timetable on here and it was around 4 years from the initial announcement until the release. After a year it seems like much more had been completed (director), which is why I'm starting to get worried.

When do you think we'll get an update?
Rogin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Reepicheep775 » Nov 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Did we ever find out if production can begin before the moratorium ends? If production can't begin before the moratorium ends it's going to be a long wait. I won't feel confident that this film is going to be made until the cameras start rolling.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby daughter of the King » Nov 13, 2014 6:41 pm

It is our understanding that production can begin before the moratorium ends. It is only the release date that has to wait until at least 2017.

Also, just because SC could be released in 2017 doesn't mean it will. Even with a screenwriter it could still take years to even hire a director. Creating a film can be a very long process.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Impending Doom » Nov 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Reepicheep775 wrote:If production can't begin before the moratorium ends it's going to be a long wait. I won't feel confident that this film is going to be made until the cameras start rolling.

It's seems a tad bit silly to announce that the film was moving forward with a new production company this early, but not being able I move into production for another 4 more years so I think the same as daughter of the King.

daughter of the King wrote: Also, just because SC could be released in 2017 doesn't mean it will. Even with a screenwriter it could still take years to even hire a director. Creating a film can be a very long process.

If it takes a couple years for them to hire a director, that's going to be long and tedious wait. I'm hoping for some sort of announcement - even an update with the LOTGK contest - by the end of the year. Just to remind us that they still are infact moving ahead with the film.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 14, 2014 3:31 am

Could the script writer write scripts for other movies while they wait?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Impending Doom » Nov 14, 2014 6:47 am

^ It would appear so, according to his IMDB Pro David Magge already has been hired to write two other films

An adaptation of Lord of the Nutcracker Man http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1615032/

And a film called A Flowering Evil http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1037254/
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jewel » Nov 14, 2014 10:40 am

Rogin, wait patiently. The Silver Chair will be worth our wait.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wolfloversk » Nov 16, 2014 4:33 pm

I'm guessing they still feel it's too early to release too much information. Especially since we Narnia fans can get feisty at even the minutest detail changed. Honestly, I'm not expecting a lot of info to be released for another year or two. This is assuming they even release it in 2017 or 2018, it may well be later.

I also think they're going to keep plot details more hush-hush than they have in the past. Since it's a new company, and they don't want to turn off the fanbase like the last two movies did. I think they're probably still working on the script right now and possibly thinking on how to improve relations with the fanbase (which I think was part of the reason for that contest... I'm guessing we'll see similar efforts later). I don't think they've really gotten into casting yet... or even who to direct...

But I think we'll get there if we give them time. I'm sensing the C.S. Lewis Estate was more careful this time in giving rights to make a movie, so I'm not as worried about relations falling apart and stopping the process like before. Also I have a feeling they would have picked someone with the financial capabilities to at least make a decent film.

It's also possible they might not be able to release a lot of info until the moratorium expires. So I'm not concerned. Perhaps even being quieter may be beneficial in the long run?
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby milmolsilsol » Nov 26, 2014 7:50 am

I was also wondering about this... I just really want the Narnia films to succeed no matter WHEN they come out. But of course my feeling is: THE SOONER THE BETTER!! :D
Until you find something worth dying for you're not really living.
Don't wish for a better day. Be glad and use the one you're in.
Pain has been the catalyst to my heart's happiness.
milmolsilsol
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DamselJillPole » Nov 27, 2014 9:39 pm

I have no doubt that we'll see another Narnia film especially SC. Production may just take some time. I can guarantee we will have better news concerning the film, cast, etc before 2018 gets here. ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 28, 2014 12:56 am

Impending Doom wrote:^ It would appear so, according to his IMDB Pro David Magge already has been hired to write two other films

An adaptation of Lord of the Nutcracker Man http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1615032/

And a film called A Flowering Evil http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1037254/

Thanks, and it looks like the Mark Gordon firm's Steve Jobs film has been picked up by Universal films. But what I really meant is that rather than wait until the moratorium has finished to start work on SC, can the script writer for SC also write scripts for other Narnia movies while everyone waits?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Glumpuddle » Dec 04, 2014 4:55 pm

It will get made eventually, I am pretty confident. But I doubt anything is official yet. I think they just made that announcement to try to generate excitement for the film as they try to find the money. Not sure how successful that was. The reaction seems to have been rather meh.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Impending Doom » Dec 05, 2014 8:30 pm

glumPuddle wrote:I think they just made that announcement to try to generate excitement for the film as they try to find the money. Not sure how successful that was. The reaction seems to have been rather meh.

Really? From the people I've talked too and the articles/comments I've read online seem to be fairly positive. Even from those who have hated the movies thus far were optimistic about the production company change.

What do you think is next for the production? A director, studio or maybe something else?
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glumpuddle » Dec 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Impending Doom wrote:What do you think is next for the production? A director, studio or maybe something else?

A studio to co-finance/distribute, I would think. They're probably having meetings with different studios right now.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Next