This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Will we ever see Silver Chair?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Will we ever see Silver Chair?

Postby coracle » May 08, 2015 4:59 am

VCP appears to be a hashed up collection of information from around the internet,which has been put through a bad online translator program. I suspect its origin is China.
I would not trust that site for information.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Isn't it interesting to revisit old threads? 8-} Two years later, it looks more like we will see a Silver chair movie, though it is little more than a twinkle in Joe Johnston's eye at the moment. I suppose Rome cannot be built in a day, and all things come to those who wait.

But I still hope to see the movie sometime. Maybe next year?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 09, 2017 12:11 pm

^I saw a tweet on scriptwriter David Magee's Twitter page the other day saying that they weren't yet in the active casting phase of pre-production... I'm not an expert on how long it takes to get a movie of this type churned out, but it does make me wonder if we aren't looking at a 2019 release date at this point.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 09, 2017 6:21 pm

I suppose Joe Johnston is too busy totting up how many characters he will need to cast, what each actor needs tol do, artistic concepts etc. Not to mention scouting out where those actors will do what, what sort of look is needed for SC and what budget is needed for the film.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Jun 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Based on what JJ said about the art director (?) not having a contract yet, my guess is that they are currently negotiating contracts with various crew members. Concept art soon to follow. Then casting. ..
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Reepi » Jun 10, 2017 5:08 am

The first announcement for LWW came in 2001, right?

This time around, there was a long time of rumor of things moving along, but they did so very slowly. With a confirmed director, it seems they're finally ready to really get started, but it could still take a few years to see the finished product.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Jun 11, 2017 8:43 pm

No, I thought it was mid 2003, but the first news stories Tirian reported on here were 2002. NarniaWeb didn't yet exist, so those will have been put on retrospectively!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jun 12, 2017 8:43 am

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:^I saw a tweet on scriptwriter David Magee's Twitter page the other day saying that they weren't yet in the active casting phase of pre-production

That's not surprising. A lot of times you don't hear about casting until a mouth or so before filming. Right now I imagine there are doing design work, hiring crew, and planing logistics etc. I think late 2018 is probably still the most likely release date, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being sometime in 2019.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glumpuddle » Jul 06, 2017 11:11 am

Reacting to the fake press release, I've seen a fair amount of "Ugh this movie's never going to happen."

I admit it does seem unusual that they seem have all the major pieces in place but no release date. And Joe Johnston was announced over 2 months ago now.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Impending Doom » Jul 06, 2017 12:24 pm

I do wonder if it would be beneficial to miss the 2018 release window.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Universal)
Aquaman (WB)
Mortal Engines (WB)
Mary Poppins Returns (Disney)
Animated Spiderman (Sony)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (WB)

All these movies, which are scheduled to be released in November/December of 2018, have already either started or have completed principal photography. It's still very possible to make 2018. Prince Caspian started filming in February and released in May the next year. Mulan (Disney) and X-Men (Fox) are set to release in November 2018 and hasn't starting production. But at what cost?

Even though they haven't officially announced any crew members, work on pre-production would have started by now. Joe Johnston knew who was coming on as Production Designer and Cinematographer at least 2 months ago. As long they have sufficient time during post-production, I don't mind them going full tilt to make a Nov/Dec release. I just don't want to see them rush to make a deadline.

If they needed more time, a February or March release would still work well for The Silver Chair...

Glumpuddle wrote:I admit it does seem unusual that they seem have all the major pieces in place but no release date. And Joe Johnston was announced over 2 months ago now.

Mark Gordon's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (Disney) completed filming in January and still doesn't have a release date outside of '2018'. Release dates are seldom announced without another piece of news. I have to imagine that along with the next update we'll be getting a release date.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jul 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Impending Doom wrote:I do wonder if it would be beneficial to miss the 2018 release window.

I've been wondering that as well. Not really because I afraid of them rushing the film, thought I certainly don't want them to do that. But because I'm a little concerned about Silver Chair's box office prospects. I know it's probably to early to be thinking about the box office. But I'm concerned that releasing it in the busy holiday season with a lot of competition might be something of a death sentence for it. Also given that it's been so many years sense the last film, I'm not sure if general audiences will care about a new Narnia film, maybe the fact that it's a reboot will help in that respect, I don't know.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if a 2019 release might be more likely, and maybe better, than a late 2018 release. Though I think if they warned they could probably make a holiday 2018 release without the film being rushed, Marval's Doctor Strange which came out last November, didn't start filming until exactly one year before it's release date, though that may not be the best example. Either way I hope we hear something soon.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Jul 06, 2017 4:23 pm

I have long felt that the Narnia films should be released in March, with the exception of LWW. So yes, I'm hoping for a March 2019 release. Unless it's an exceptional movie, I don't see it competing with Holiday or Summer blockbusters.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby TimmyofOz » Jul 11, 2017 2:00 am

I just listened to the podcast an as usual I enjoyed it. But Glumpuddle mentioned that he would like to see the SC down like "2001 a Space Odyssey". Sorry but being old enough to remember seeing that movie in the theater, that would be a bad idea. 2001 was a cult movie, which might be ok in its self, but they are often considered jokes. Cult movies have nothing to do with the original intended audience and they are only liked years latter. They make no money and there are no follow up movies. Even the best cult movie, the Wizard of Oz (1939), didn't make money for years, didn't do well with the Oscars, and sequels were not made for decades, which is sad because the other books by Baum deserved attention. If it wasn't for Television airing the Wizard of Oz would have never amounted to anything.
TimmyofOz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Glumpuddle » Jul 11, 2017 8:11 am

^ Hi Timmy. Thanks for listening! Good to see you in the forum :D

TimmyofOz wrote:They make no money and there are no follow up movies.

The world has changed a lot since The Wizard of Oz (1939) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). It is much easier for lower-budget content to find an niche audience. District 9 (2008) only made $200m worldwide at the box office, but that was okay because it's production budget was only $30m. And take a look at the success of Netflix's original content. I would like to see lower budget Narnia films produced that are targeted at a specific audience rather than a mass audience. Not everyone likes the books so we should not expect everyone in the world and their dog to like faithful adaptations.

But let me be clear: My first concern is for good movies and faithful adaptations. If they turn another Narnia book into a a generic blockbuster, I hope it fails at the box office. This movie may be the only exposure to C.S. Lewis many people ever get. So, why would I want them to walk away with the impression that Narnia is another children's fantasy franchise to throw on the pile? I would prefer the movie not be made at all.

TimmyofOz wrote:Glumpuddle mentioned that he would like to see the SC down like "2001 a Space Odyssey".

To clarify: In the podcast, Dot asked me for an example of a great movie so I mentioned 2001: A Space Odyssey because it's my favorite. I'm not necessarily saying The Silver Chair should be done in a similar style.

TimmyofOz wrote:2001 was a cult movie, which might be ok in its self, but they are often considered jokes.

2001 is considered one of the greatest and most influential science-fiction films of all-time.

See you around the forum, Timmy! :)
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby TimmyofOz » Jul 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Glumpuddle, Once again I love your podcasts. I gave the example to The Wizard of Oz to make the point that yes a cult move can be a great movie and very popular. I can name a bunch of popular cult movies. but most of them only reach as you said a niche audience. I liked 2001 and remember it coming out in 1968 (I was 10), but even I knew most of the audience watching it in the theater was smoking pot. Like the other members of the podcast, I want all the books made into a movie just so that it can be said that it was done. CS Lewis deserves to have his Narnia books put on the big screen. I still hope his Space Trilogy and Screwtape Letters make the big screen too. I can name other cult movies that were jokes (The Dark Crystal, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, and Howard the Duck) as most were. Cult movies are great in themselves and can be popular but only to a small audience. I want these movies to show people who CS Lewis was, and not just make geeky Narnia fans happy.

Now I agree with you that character development is is important in a movie made about SC. Getting to know Jill and Puddleglum is critical. You said the book was about "follow in the signs". That is like saying The Wizard of Oz was about "following the yellow brick road". The book is about Jill and how she overcomes her fears and preconceptions. Aslan has a reason not to think much of her at the beginning. As in the Wizard of Oz, is Dorothy happy with her life with Auntie Em and Uncle Henry or will she always chase rainbows. While in Oz she learns that all loves about Oz is in Kansas. The thing about Jill is that she doesn't trust anyone but herself. The fact that she was bullied give you a reason why she doesn't trust others. The signs teaches her about trust. But just to say that the book and the movie is about following signs is to make the movie into just a road-trip movie. Why is Jill in Narnia is the question, to follow signs, or how a bullied girl learned to trust.

Now I agree with you, I don't want a PBS made for TV movie on bullying. I want to see the owls , the giants, the Underworld, and learn about faith from Puddleglum. Keep up the good work Glumpuddle.
TimmyofOz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Glumpuddle » Jul 11, 2017 8:25 pm

TimmyofOz wrote:I want all the books made into a movie just so that it can be said that it was done. CS Lewis deserves to have his Narnia books put on the big screen.

Here's where we differ. I only want Narnia movies if they're good. Why would I want to be able to say "they made bad Narnia movies"? The books are perfect just the way they are. They don't need movies. Nothing is missing. C.S. Lewis deserves to have his books treated with reverence, not gobbled up and distorted into generic Hollywood blockbusters. If they're going to make them into movies, they should be movies that attempt to live up to the high bar the books set.

TimmyofOz wrote:You said the book was about "follow in the signs". That is like saying The Wizard of Oz was about "following the yellow brick road".

I don't think that's a valid comparison. Those two expressions just so happen to have the word "follow" in them. "Follow the yellow brick road" is just a means to an end; it's one small thing in the story. The plot moves beyond that. Whereas in The Silver Chair, following and trusting the signs defines the both the story and the characters. The signs are given right at the beginning, and the struggle to remember and follow them is the central drama in the story.

Aslan tells Jill right at the beginning, "But, first, remember, remember, remember the signs. Say them to yourself when you wake in the morning and when you lie down at night, and when you wake in the middle of the night. And whatever strange things may happen to you, let nothing turn your mind from following the signs." All the challenges the characters face in the story stem from their failure to follow the signs.

They muff the first one, which forces them to seek help from the owls and Puddleglum. The Lady of the Green Kirtle distracts them from following the signs by planting thoughts of hot baths and meals. "Bother the signs!" Jill says. They become trapped at Harfang because they don't recognize the third sign as they're climbing over it. In a dream: The Lion told her to repeat the signs, and she found that she had forgotten them all. At that, a great horror came over her. They realize that in order to get back on track and follow the signs again, they must escape Harfang and search underground. In the darkness of Underland, Puddleglum tries to cheer them up by reminding them they are following Aslan's signs. Perhaps the lowest moment for the characters is when the prince suggests that the writing they found has nothing at all to do with Aslan's signs. Finally, in a climactic moment for the story, the characters must decide if they will trust Aslan's signs and free a raving lunatic from the silver chair... Puddleglum says, "Aslan didn’t tell Pole what would happen. He only told her what to do. That fellow will be the death of us once he’s up, I shouldn’t wonder. But that doesn’t let us off following the sign."

Trusting and following the signs is the most foundational part of the story.
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext