This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What should the order be for the rest of the films?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

What should the order be for the rest of the films?

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 08, 2014 10:40 am

Since Tilda Swinton recently commented on how she'd like to return to Narnia if The Magician's Nephew is ever made, there's been some talk about the best order for the rest of the films swirling around. We already have very good reason to believe that The Silver Chair will be up next, but that still leaves us with three films to go. None of those books are close to one another in a chronological sense (there's 1,000 years between MN and HHB, and 1,500 in between HHB and LB!), so it could really go any way.

For a long time, I've been intrigued by the idea of making HHB before The Last Battle, mainly in order to introduce the Calormenes to the audience before they return with a vengeance in the final (?) film. I think the reasoning is sound, and it makes me happy as well because I've always been excited about the possibility of a HHB film adaptation because it's one of my favorite books. HHB is something of an outlier among the Chronicles, and preceding LB seems to be the best place for the movie version.

However, if actors who are cast for Eustace and Jill are fairly young, then I think we could also potentially have The Magician's Nephew released in between The Silver Chair and The Last Battle as well. After all, in the timeline, Eustace and Jill are 9 in the events of SC and 16 when LB rolls around, which is certainly enough time to make a couple of movies. However, since I would expect the casts for Eustace and Jill to be around 12 at best, I think it would be a good idea to try to get actors that seem like they'll still look youthful as they age so we don't end up with another frustrating and disappointing Will Poulter situation.

Here's a question I'm struggling with, though: which film should directly precede The Last Battle? At the moment, I'm inclined to say MN. It just seems right for the creation story of Narnia to prepare the audiences for the end-times battle. Also, since there's so much time between the events of HHB and the happenings of LB, so I think it might be less jarring if there was another film sandwiched in between the two.

So, if I had my druthers, here's my current order of choice for the final three films:

1. HHB
2. MN
3. LB

What do you guys think? If you were an high ranking executive for the Narnia movies, what kind of order would you be pushing for?
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: What should the order be for the rest of the films?

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jul 08, 2014 10:57 am

If all seven films eventually get made, I would be for altering publication order on the last three films and going MN, HHB, LB. The last three films would have a three part structure of sorts: Narnia's rise (i.e. creation), peak (the Golden Age), and fall.

And as Rose mentioned, placing HHB and LB back-to-back would provide continuity with the Calormenes as the villains and the break would allow the actor and actress playing Eustace and Jill to age for their role in LB.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 08, 2014 11:53 am

Another thought I had... one other reason to potentially go ahead and make MN before LB—and perhaps the sooner, the better—is so the actor and actress that play Digory and Polly will possibly be able to reprise their roles in Aslan's country. They'll still be younger than the rest, but hey, older people are often younger at heart anyway, and Digory and Polly definitely seem like the young at heart.

Even though we have reason to think that The Silver Chair will be released next, sometimes I find myself wondering if they shouldn't make MN next and then follow it up with HHB, SC and LB. Will Poulter seems to be too old to reprise his role, so they're going to need a brand new cast anyway, aside from possibly bringing Ben Barnes and Peter Dinklage back. That sequence of films might be one of the most natural from a chronological and overall storytelling standpoint.

Reepicheep775 wrote:If all seven films eventually get made, I would be for altering publication order on the last three films and going MN, HHB, LB. The last three films would have a three part structure of sorts: Narnia's rise (i.e. creation), peak (the Golden Age), and fall.

That's a very interesting idea! I hadn't thought of that perspective. I really like it; it's sort of like a vague, loose trilogy of sorts within the rest of the series.

Having HHB immediately precede LB is also rather evocative of LWW and PC's contrasting atmospheres and themes... it's not the Narnia that you remember, where Calormene foes were easily and merrily vanquished. I said in my original post that I thought the difference between the two might be too jarring, but now that I think of it, the jarring feeling could be a good thing. It's certainly a novel that shocks and appalls you, at least in the first two thirds.

Anyway, I think I'd be quite happy with either order, though the one thing I'd like in particular is for The Last Battle to be the final film. I would really like for those scenes in Aslan's Country to be the last images before this series of films comes to a close.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 08, 2014 3:21 pm

I'd like to throw the idea of MN last into the ring. It seems less final than closing with LB.

And I want HHB after SC, mostly for reasons of it being the one I really, really want to see.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 09, 2014 2:51 am

Well, yes, HHB is definitely the one Narnia story I want to see. What troubles me is exactly when it can be done? SC is the one to be produced at the moment. LB logically comes into play as the sequel to SC. And MN simply must be done to explain much of the series. I think there is a good chance that MN would be produced next after SC, if only to justify the IMDb page that is still accessible on Internet.

Like SC, you really have to see HHB to appreciate the story line of Calormen in the series. Why does C.S.Lewis need this particular nation, for his chronicles? We see Calormen in VDT when Eustace, rejected as even slave merchandise, learns about this country, sees there are merchants who trade, and thinks that Calormen is the "least phony" of the Narnia universe. Otherwise, apart from a passing mention here or there, we don't see this country much at all. Except in HHB & LB.

If I am right, that once SC is done that MN will be the next cab off the rank, possibly with Tilda Swinton as Jadis, enthusiastically running around London on top of a hansom cab, whipping poor Strawberry and annoying him immensely, not to mention the London Police. If the series survives, LB will probably draw the series to a close. Which will leave HHB out altogether.

But today, whilst passing time on a broken-down train, a strange thought did occur to me. HHB could be done even after the other books have been filmed. What if it is Susan narrating the story of what happened in HHB? Telling her children, what happened, perhaps? Relating what she learned about Prince Cor/Shasta? Or what she learned from her brother and sister? Just a thought, perhaps.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby jewel » Jul 11, 2014 6:21 am

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Since Tilda Swinton recently commented on how she'd like to return to Narnia if The Magician's Nephew is ever made, there's been some talk about the best order for the rest of the films swirling around. We already have very good reason to believe that The Silver Chair will be up next, but that still leaves us with three films to go. None of those books are close to one another in a chronological sense (there's 1,000 years between MN and HHB, and 1,500 in between HHB and LB!), so it could really go any way.

For a long time, I've been intrigued by the idea of making HHB before The Last Battle, mainly in order to introduce the Calormenes to the audience before they return with a vengeance in the final (?) film. I think the reasoning is sound, and it makes me happy as well because I've always been excited about the possibility of a HHB film adaptation because it's one of my favorite books. HHB is something of an outlier among the Chronicles, and preceding LB seems to be the best place for the movie version.

However, if actors who are cast for Eustace and Jill are fairly young, then I think we could also potentially have The Magician's Nephew released in between The Silver Chair and The Last Battle as well. After all, in the timeline, Eustace and Jill are 9 in the events of SC and 16 when LB rolls around, which is certainly enough time to make a couple of movies. However, since I would expect the casts for Eustace and Jill to be around 12 at best, I think it would be a good idea to try to get actors that seem like they'll still look youthful as they age so we don't end up with another frustrating and disappointing Will Poulter situation.

Here's a question I'm struggling with, though: which film should directly precede The Last Battle? At the moment, I'm inclined to say MN. It just seems right for the creation story of Narnia to prepare the audiences for the end-times battle. Also, since there's so much time between the events of HHB and the happenings of LB, so I think it might be less jarring if there was another film sandwiched in between the two.

So, if I had my druthers, here's my current order of choice for the final three films:

1. HHB
2. MN
3. LB

What do you guys think? If you were an high ranking executive for the Narnia movies, what kind of order would you be pushing for?

Excellent post by the way Rose-Tree Dryad. You've made a really good topic. Thanks for your it.
Your list sounds quite reasonable. I think that with HHB next, after Silver Chair, it would be good to bring the Pevensies back before showing them in again in The Last Battle after the Magician's nephew.
Your list is identical to how Lewis published the books.
I look forward to all of them very much. Narnia is the best film series ever!
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Anfinwen » Jul 12, 2014 6:48 pm

My personal preference would be MN, HHB, LB. I definitely feel LB should be last. If it comes before MN, then the viewers wouldn't know who Polly and Digory are, and the dying sun would be much less moving. There is a wonderful place for cameo appearances from beloved characters/actors/voices in Aslan's garden. I don't want to even think about not seeing Fledge greet Digory and Polly! And what about Frank and Helen? They are supposed to be sitting under the tree of life! But wait, we don't even know the significance of the tree with the silver apples! Nope MN has to come before LB.
Meltintalle wrote:I'd like to throw the idea of MN last into the ring. It seems less final than closing with LB.

I do see your point Meltintalle, but I would be more in favor of having HHB last rather than MN. That would finish out the series, and then "Oh guess what? we have one more story to tell!"
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 14, 2014 12:41 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:But today, whilst passing time on a broken-down train, a strange thought did occur to me. HHB could be done even after the other books have been filmed. What if it is Susan narrating the story of what happened in HHB? Telling her children, what happened, perhaps? Relating what she learned about Prince Cor/Shasta? Or what she learned from her brother and sister? Just a thought, perhaps.

Hmm, that's an interesting thought. I can also imagine HHB starting out with a Friends of Narnia meeting where Susan is rushing out the door to go to a party, and Edmund begins, "I remember when we were in Calormene..." and the story commences.

Still, I'm afraid that if they didn't film The Horse and His Boy before The Last Battle, it wouldn't get made at all. And seeing as it's one of my very favorite Chronicles of Narnia, that would be a real bummer.

jewel wrote:Your list sounds quite reasonable. I think that with HHB next, after Silver Chair, it would be good to bring the Pevensies back before showing them in again in The Last Battle after the Magician's nephew.
Your list is identical to how Lewis published the books.

That's a good point! I hadn't yet noticed that. The filmmakers have followed the publication order thus far, so it makes me wonder if they'll continue that trend.

Anfinwen wrote:If it comes before MN, then the viewers wouldn't know who Polly and Digory are, and the dying sun would be much less moving. There is a wonderful place for cameo appearances from beloved characters/actors/voices in Aslan's garden. I don't want to even think about not seeing Fledge greet Digory and Polly! And what about Frank and Helen? They are supposed to be sitting under the tree of life! But wait, we don't even know the significance of the tree with the silver apples! Nope MN has to come before LB.

Amen, I completely agree. So much loses significance if LB comes before MN, or HHB for that matter. I think that if we're meeting strangers in The Last Battle and still being teased with major untold stories, the film wouldn't have the feeling of finality that it deserves.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 14, 2014 5:43 am

It seems that it hardly matters which order the remaining four movies are done, so long as LB comes last. But would you agree that without SC, HHB and MN, it becomes harder to understand LB, the concluding story?

Silver Chair introduces Eustace and Jill, both of whom play major parts in the last book. There is also their visit to Aslan's Country, last seen briefly in VDT. Jill and Eustace are also two of the Seven Friends of Narnia. In SC we also meet Rilian, the ancestor of Tirian. In any case SC is currently in production.

Is it possible, though, to jump straight from SC to LB without doing MN or HHB first? What if the producers decide to leave out MN and HHB, going straight to LB, as the logical sequel to SC, just to finish the series?

Personally, I think that without Magician's Nephew's explanations we don't know who the Professor is, let alone Polly Plummer. We never see Charn, or the foundation of Narnia, or King Frank and Queen Helen. Not only do Polly and Digory become another two of the Seven Friends of Narnia, they visit the garden which is so integral to LB. The crowd of people there, with King Frank and Queen Helen presiding become more inexplicable without Magician's Nephew. Like Silver Chair, Magician's Nephew does not require the Pevensies. So there isn't any difficulty about bringing back actors from the earlier movies. With the exception of Jadis.

Of all the books HHB is probably the most independent of the series. Set at the end of LWW, HHB does mention the Pevensies as grown up adults. As we see them in LB, where, although three of them are the remaining Seven Friends of Narnia, they are not the main protagonists of the story. But, unlike the other books, all the action takes place in the Narnian world. The difficulty of leaving it out altogether would mean less explanation of Calormen, wouldn't it?

But how much explanation do we need for Calormen? Isn't it just one of those countries that think the grass is greener in Narnia and so they finally get to take it over? Just like the Telmarines did earlier?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Nic5 » Jul 14, 2014 5:44 am

Even though we have reason to think that The Silver Chair will be released next, sometimes I find myself wondering if they shouldn't make MN next and then follow it up with HHB, SC and LB.

Interesting 'what if' thread.

I hadn't thought of it being done like that as Rose-Tree-Dryad said above, but in many ways that would be the best one i would think. MN serves as both a Re-boot as well as re-invigorating the previous movies, well at least two, for a cinamatic fan-base. HHB has the potential to be a cinematic Gem, almost everyone would agree, (Andrew Adamson as Director please please please please.... :-bd ) & is perhaps the most straight forward in a cinematic way story. If they could do great versions of those two, then SC could just be mediocre, & there would still be a big audience remaining for the last battle.

That order is Linear also in terms of Narnian chronology, so it would be one less ball the film makers would have to worry about keeping track of in terms of keeping a cohernt built up overall Narnian arc for the series brand in terms of story.

That said, the book stories can be seen as non linear, with each film representing a theme & tone, with the exception of the start and finish of Narnia (MN & LB), and all the other films are representative of different themes in different ages of Narnia. If that was the approach, then it wouldn't matter the order of SC to HHB.

LWW film is thematically, Innocence, Rebirth/Renewal quite well.
PC film is politics, statemanship, war.
In a thematic sense, both of these films are very much representative of their respective books, and those ages in Narnia.
VODT film is, i suppose, Temptation, but i do not think that is really reflective of the book as temptation can apply to anything & thus while in way is in the book, it is not really the defining thrust of that story & it's age in Narnia. Off hand, i would say VoDt was more close to Freedom, Growth & Faith as it's major thematic threads & era of Narnia.

Anyhow, if that approach is in the films strongly, then it also gives the audience a strong brand for the series of films, & provides story arc for the series that's there in the films when people watch them all the same.

But to me, for either emphasis to be storng, there has to be a stand out start point & end point which can only be MN & LB. That's not to say other approaches/arcs cannot have other start/end front & centre, just for either of the above i think it has to be MN start to LB end.
Nic5
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 15, 2014 2:39 pm

Anfinwen wrote:I definitely feel LB should be last. If it comes before MN, then the viewers wouldn't know who Polly and Digory are, and the dying sun would be much less moving.

True, true. :) There is a poignancy in knowing who those characters are. But are the film makers going to give us more than cameos with them? (Well, except Polly and Digory and we (should) already know Digory has some connection to Narnia. It's sort of like doing The Hobbit after The Lord of the Rings.) I'd look at it as a teaser to whet your appetite for the prequel. And then by ending with the prequel it leads back to LWW and you go around the Chronicles again.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby aileth » Jul 21, 2014 12:12 am

Last Battle last, I think, as my preference. The others might not matter so much, though I like this idea

Reepicheep775 wrote:MN, HHB, LB. The last three films would have a three part structure of sorts: Narnia's rise (i.e. creation), peak (the Golden Age), and fall.

The strange thing was that VDT in some ways felt like the end of the series, too. That sense of sadness and completion was one of the things that was done very well. Yet if the ending of LB is done just right, there could be a feeling that everything isn't over. Deceptive in the movie sense, as there'd better not be any more, but very true to the book.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub