This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Who Should Write the Silver Chair Credits Song?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Who Should Write the Silver Chair Credits Song?

Postby Movie Aristotle » Feb 03, 2014 12:42 pm

I've been thinking about the various songs written for or inspired by the Narnia films lately and it has got me to wondering about the original songs for The Silver Chair. Who do you think has the ability to fully appreciate the book's themes and convey them in a poetic and musical form? Do you think they could win an award for their work?

Relevant analysis of past Narnia credits songs are welcome in this thread as well.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Who Should Write the Silver Chair Credits Song?

Postby Impending Doom » Feb 03, 2014 3:53 pm

I've enjoyed most of the 'Narnia' songs, except for There's a Place For Us. Carrie Underwood is a decent singer but the tune is bland and the lyrics are beyond generic. It didn't wow me like Wunderkind, This is Home, Can't Take It In.

For Silver Chair I'm hoping for a Celtic styled song. I've always thought it sounded 'Narnian'! Not sure about who though.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Hmm, interesting idea for a thread. I can't think of a particular group or artist to recommend, but maybe something with a Nordic sound, since so much of the film takes place in the wild lands of the North? Celtic could be lovely as well. If they could find a way to incorporate the Lady of the Green Kirtle's mandolin-like instrument, that would be awesome.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Aslan Fan » Feb 03, 2014 7:42 pm

I think a song about Jill and her growth in the story would be fitting. I'm really excited that they have a definite main character this time around.
And, Florence + The Machine wouldn't be a bad pick as an artist. They might be able to keep the Narnia feel and make a lively pop song (think: SWATH compared to Wunderkind and other Narnian songs). :D
Aslan Fan
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Reepicheep775 » Feb 03, 2014 8:43 pm

I always thought Eisley could make a good song for Narnia. They often have a fairy tale-like feel and their singer, Sherri Dupree, described the Narnia books as her "first love".
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby King_Erlian » Feb 04, 2014 3:25 am

I'd like to hear a contemporary classical-style film score composer such as Michael Kamen. I do hope we don't get a Celtic-sounding song. It's become such a cliche in fantasy genre films thanks to LOTR and the like. "It's pseudo-mediaeval, so it's got to be Celtic." (-|
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Movie Aristotle » Feb 04, 2014 10:23 pm

I'll go ahead and submit that my top pick would be Nichole Nordeman. Her song "I Will Believe" proved to me that she knows Narnia very well, and she has such an amazing ability to distill stories into poetic, haunting songs. (Note her recent work "Real.")

I think she could sum up Jill's experience in Narnia quite nicely.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Feb 18, 2014 2:34 pm

It would be really neat to see an independent artist's/band's take on the Narnia series. There's a song by indie folk band The Oh Hello's called "The Lament of Eustace Scrubb." I think it would have been perfect for VotDT, but since TSC involves Eustace's change of heart (as well as Jill's), it would be really neat if they used that in the credits. It would be interesting to hear the band's take on a TSC song, though, if they would be up to writing one.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby King_Erlian » Feb 21, 2014 5:21 am

I could be particularly self-indulgent and nominate myself. A few years ago I wrote a song called "Farther Up And Farther In", based on "The Last Battle", but I didn't keep a copy of it as I didn't think it was up to standard.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Rogin » Feb 22, 2014 10:11 am

I've enjoyed all of the 'Narnia' songs thus far, so I'm confident they'll find someone good for SC.

Miley Cyrus would be perfect for the job! Lol ;)
Rogin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Meltintalle » Feb 22, 2014 11:03 am

Bella, your mention of the 'Lament of Eustace Scrubb', and King_Erlian suggesting himself, reminds me that we had a member here on NarniaWeb several (many?) years ago who did an outstanding song based on Prince Caspian. iTunes says he's Addi M. For what it's worth, he has my vote as a singer and songwriter who knows and loves the stories.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Quinlin » Apr 17, 2014 9:20 pm

I must say I've been mostly happy with the songs and artists chosen for the last three Narnia films. It's just a shame that Carrie Underwood was the only artist who's song made it onto the soundtrack. I would love to have heard several more songs with a larger variety of styles as we had in the previous two soundtracks.

In regards to The Silver Chair, the first name to jump into my head is a young British artist by the name of Birdy. I think she has a fantastic, powerful voice and brings much emotion to her songs. Ed Sheeran also did a great job with his credit song for The Hobbit -The Desolation of Smaug so I think he could certainly do well with a song for Narnia. I really like the softness of his voice and the many vocal ranges he has.

I'm not sure, but I think I'd like to hear something that compliments the tone of the films and sheds light on what Narnia is really about. Narnia is such a magical, beautiful, and mysterious place that I think both the lyrics and the artist's interpretation should make a true connection to the film and echo the sounds of the score. I'm very eager to see whom they will choose.
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby aaronnz » May 24, 2014 6:34 pm

For a female Lana Del Rey, for a male Ed Sherrin.
aaronnz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Impending Doom » May 31, 2014 10:18 am

Please not Ed Sheeran. It's not that I don't think he's talented or capable, it's just he's already done The Hobbit! Let's be different than Middle Earth and try out someone new.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 04, 2014 3:54 pm

aaronnz wrote:For a female Lana Del Rey, for a male Ed Sherrin.

I second the vote for Lana Del Rey. B-)

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 04, 2014 4:14 pm

I've heard Lana Del Ray's version of "Once Upon a Dream" from Maleficent. I'm not sure if her voice is really what I'd expect as the singing voice of the Lady of the Green Kirtle (a little too modern, maybe?), but it would still be really neat to hear her sing a song from the LotGK's perspective. That could be a great credits song.

(Now I want somebody to make a Rilian and LotGK fan video with that rendition of "Once Upon a Dream" playing in the background. :P)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Next