This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What's your favorite Narnia film?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: What's your favorite Narnia film?

Postby Glumpuddle » Feb 08, 2014 3:23 pm

#1. PC
#2. LWW
#3,000. VDT

LWW is pretty consistently decent. Not great, not bad... just fine. Okay film, okay adaptation. Strong performances all around.

PC can be a weird mixture of great and bad. I think it manages to sneak into first place because it's just a more confidently directed film. It just clicks better in a way LWW doesn't quite. It also captures more of the emotional heart of the book for me. The nostalgia of the Pevensies, the sadness of the old days being lost. Still not a great film or great adaptation, but a little better than LWW in my opinion.

VDT is just a big nothing. If I wasn't a huge fan of the book that shared the same title, I probably would have dozed off in the theater. The movie is a bunch of pretty colors to keep 2-year-olds occupied while mommy and daddy get some work done. That's all.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Son of Tash » Feb 10, 2014 1:00 pm

i want to add that VDT is being underated not only from the critics but also from fans which is something i am not able to understand.Maybe the green mist is something annoying for a narnia fan but considering the first script (lucpian and lady of the green kirtle) i think the screenwriters nearly saved it from completely sinking.VOTD was a fast movie sometimes difficult to watch but after rewatching a lot of times i think it has been done great work that in first watch can t be seen.The Book of magician,the dufflepuds,the dark island. If the part in Lone islands was better i would say it is best film of the three and also some merpeople to appear, in the book the ocean is discribed full of wonders that sea seemed so how to put this Empty. Michael Apted seems to be a more action flick than storytelling director.
In the name of Tash,My Lord and King of Darkness
Son of Tash
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby jewel » May 07, 2014 12:02 pm

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in mine, and than Prince Caspian, and then The Voyage of The Dawn Treader.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Skilletdude » May 09, 2014 9:38 am

I think my list is similar to others:

1. PC, far from a perfect film, but of what they did get right they nailed on this one. Narnia seems so much more real, with a sense of history. And scenes like Peter being forced to leave his men behind to die at the Telmarine castle still get to me, which is a sign that the movie is doing an admirable job of making me care about these characters so much.

2. LWW is also a respectable film, with a mostly faithful script. But as others have said, the world didn't feel very real, with a much too manufactured look about it. They also played it a little too safe with some of the scenes from the book.

3. VDT, and this is for its combined rushed pace and hack job of the original story and nearly turning the themes into some sort of humanism tale, which I find very offensive, and I'm sure Lewis would too. To add to the issues, the world also seemed more artificial in this one. I don't even own this movie.
Mary Jane: You know, you're taller than you look.
Peter: I hunch.
Mary Jane: Don't.
Skilletdude
Moderator Emeritus

Postby aaronnz » May 24, 2014 6:34 pm

The Silver Chair. Because of Puddleglum. <3333
aaronnz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Aurora » Jun 01, 2014 3:49 am

I have to say that at #1 it would be a tie between LWW and PC.

LWW was released at the time I was just starting to read the books and at Christmas time so it was completely magical to see the snow (especially since in the UK we *never* get any snow at Christmas"). I believe it was a fantastic and faithful adaptation. There was enough drama in it to bring in line with modern expectations.

PC probably for me was riding on the high of how fab LWW was and as a sequel it was pretty great. Ben Barnes, was awesome as the titular character (albeit I did feel his accent was slightly misplaced and the whole romance thing too).

Above all I think it was just the music in these two movies that really sealed the deal. The epic battle scenes in both were fab (complete fangirl for battle scenes - just love them) and the music score for these scenes were absolutely perfect.

VODT honestly it just didn't have the same magic as the first two. I don't think there was anything wrong with the acting per se, but the way it flowed just didn't feel right. I realise its been a while since I've read the book and watched the film but I seem to recall being very confused with the number of changes made which didn't seem to work. I think there was a lot of action but quite possibly was action for the sake of having some action.
Aurora
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby EmpressJadis » Jun 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Voyage of the Dawn Treader undoubtably. It was my favourite book and though there were inevitable changes, like in all adaptions, I thought they were very classy and the actors were all supurb. I was crying uncontrollably by the end of the movie, though I don't know why!

Nicolette-Elizabeth
EmpressJadis

Just because they can't feel it too doesn't mean that you have to forget

The Call, Prince Caspian
(Song by Regina Spektor)
EmpressJadis
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby EmpressJadis » Jun 30, 2014 4:45 am

Also I did not enjoy the Lion the Witch and the wardrobe as much and I didn't like prince Caspian at all! I think I had just about started reading the books when the lion the witch and the wardrobe came out when I was five/four, and had recently finished all the books when Prince Caspian came out when I was seven/eight. Prince Caspian was just a let down. The romanticisation between Susan Pevensie and Caspian was really tacky and predictable. The only thing that really saved the movie was the acting of Keynes and Henely, as well as Regina Spektor's glorious song The Call. It was a great book and the movie got too romanticised and Hollywood. Had they no class?
EmpressJadis

The Call, Prince Caspian
(Song by Regina Spektor)
EmpressJadis
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby CaptainM » Jul 01, 2014 8:17 am

In a way I don't think of them being individual movies but more of the same one. But my favorite is a tie LWW and PC. I think that PC has a better story
and LWW has a better last battle.
"How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese"-Charles De Gaulle
CaptainM
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby truthherald2011 » Jul 06, 2014 1:55 pm

EmpressJadis wrote:Voyage of the Dawn Treader undoubtably. It was my favourite book and though there were inevitable changes, like in all adaptions, I thought they were very classy and the actors were all supurb. I was crying uncontrollably by the end of the movie, though I don't know why!

Nicolette-Elizabeth

Totally agree with the concept that the supposed "Romantic" aspect of the Caspian-Susan relationship was tacky...and not Lewis-esque in the least!
truthherald2011
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 08, 2014 9:56 am

Hmmm. I need to rewatch all of them (well, except for VDT; not a big fan of that one :P), but just going on my memory, I think I will have to go with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Even though LWW was a rather "safe" adaptation, I find that there are still many moments that captured the atmosphere of the book beautifully. When Lucy first walks in through the wardrobe, when she meets Mr. Tumnus and has tea with him, when Edmund first meets the White Witch... in many ways, I'd say that the first half is better than the second half. That's not to say I don't appreciate the things that the filmmakers got right in Prince Caspian, but rather that LWW wins out in my eyes.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby EmpressJadis » Jul 09, 2014 12:38 am

Well, to be honest I haven't watched The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe since I was about seven, so I have quite possibly forgotten much of it. I think one of the reasons I did not 'love' it was because at the time I first watched it I was only four or so, so some of the scenes were a little disturbing for me. Perhaps now I rewatch them as a twelve year old I will appriciate them more.
EmpressJadis

The Call, Prince Caspian
(Song by Regina Spektor)
EmpressJadis
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 25, 2014 8:33 am

It's a toss-up between all three of them. There are parts I really like and others I don't care for at all.

(I swing back and forth between despising PC and enjoying it as a totally different story; I lean towards favoring VotDT because I had a good initial impression; and LWW came first and I've watched it the most.)

Same with the BBC films... there are good parts and then there are the less-good parts. ;)) SC is probably my favorite there, followed by PC.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby jewel » Jul 26, 2014 11:07 am

LWW defiantly seems the most popular . It was the only one that I know of that won Academy awards.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kazuya-Mishima » Oct 06, 2014 11:12 am

My favourite one is Prince Caspian! I absolutely love it and there isn't one thing, i don't like about it.
Second is The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. It's also very good but not as good as PC :)
And Voyage of the Dawntreader was ... Oookay.. but LWW and PC are WAY better!
Kazuya-Mishima
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Oct 07, 2014 7:56 pm

It's been years since the movies came out, so I've had enough time to form a final opinion on them.

1. PC - this movie was very gritty, real and very emotional at moments. Narnia had a very epic feel and the story was very well adapted to the cinema. I also agree that the Suspian scene felt tacked on. The movie would be nearly perfect without it. It's definitely my favorite Narnia film.

2. VDT - I've come to be a bit more critical of its faults. But I don't consider the plot additions to be defects, but rather, embellishments. This movie's biggest fault was the execution of the plot, not so much the additions to it. I can live with the green mist and the addition of Gael, but I felt that they could have been handled with a bit more sophistication. The movie still tugs at the heartstrings so this movie gets marks for that! And also, of all the three movies, it's visually the most beautiful - I will still watch it , sometimes purely for how gorgeous it is.

3. LWW - a great intro movie to one of the great fantasy franchises in cinema. As pretty as it is, and as well as Narnian world was introduced and built, it has its faults. It packs the least emotional punch of the films and feels a bit too conventional. But I enjoy it's epic moments. Although it's my least favorite Narnia film, I still enjoy it.
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext