"They had to have a love triangle..."

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderator: daughter of the King

"They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby fantasia_kitty » Dec 22, 2013 5:44 am

If you haven't seen The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug yet, I'll give you a heads up that this topic is based off of a pretty big spoiler from the movie, so if you're trying to remain spoiler-free, avert your eyes. :P ;)

One of the biggest controversies of the recent Hobbit movie was the bizarre love triangle between Kili, Tauriel, and Legolas. While I think I heard rumor of this very early on, I had forgotten about it by the time the movie came out and was completely caught off guard. But much more interesting to me (and the whole purpose of this topic) was reading afterwards that the reason this love triangle is in the movie at all, was because the studio said they had to put it in there. :-s :-\ (For the record, I read this second-hand, so I apologize if this is incorrect.)

The studio said.... they had to have a love triangle....

I can't help but notice that there is a perfect setup for a love triangle in 'The Silver Chair' between Eustace, Jill, and Rilian. We would be naive to think there's no chance they would ever do something like that because threw a romance into 'Prince Caspian', and it's the going thing in fantasy movies right now. Love triangles sell... a perfect opportunity to cash in on the Bella/Edward/Jacob/Katniss/Peeta/Gale crowd. But good grief, just thinking about it makes me ill.

If this was just any studio production making SC, there is no doubt in my mind we'd see this happen. But my small glimmer of hope is that the Lewis Estate did their homework and picked out a production company that doesn't succumb to the sound of cash flowing in from squealing teenage girls. (Yes, that's a stereotype, no offense meant to those who don't fit this category...)

At any rate, I don't know there's much to discuss here. I guess I'm starting this thread in case the powers-that-be stop by and see the early protests against such a scene and might think twice about putting it in. :P
User avatar
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin
 
Posts: 18252
Joined: Feb 06, 2004
Location: Kansas
Gender: Female

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby johobbit » Dec 22, 2013 7:45 am

Whoa, stop right there, my stomach simply turns at the thought of a love triangle in TSC. Please, please, powers-that-be, and consider the many true and loyal fans of Narnia/ Lewis' beautiful writing in his amazing tales, and don't succumb to the pressure of modern-day society/film-making. Males and females can be just friends. Okay?

(I also heard, fantasia, that it was the studio that said the love triangle in DoS had to be part of the film. Argh! 8-|)
User avatar
johobbit
Moderator
 
Posts: 15038
Joined: Feb 06, 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada ... under the northern sky
Gender: Female

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby GlimGlum » Dec 22, 2013 11:54 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:The studio said.... they had to have a love triangle....

If this was just any studio production making SC, there is no doubt in my mind we'd see this happen. But my small glimmer of hope is that the Lewis Estate did their homework and picked out a production company that doesn't succumb to the sound of cash flowing in from squealing teenage girls. (Yes, that's a stereotype, no offense meant to those who don't fit this category...)

Let's hope that that is one reason why the estate did choose the Mark Gordon company. Just saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Samaug and that is one aspect the movie could have done without. (IMHO.) =;
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
User avatar
GlimGlum
Moderator
 
Posts: 4052
Joined: Feb 22, 2008
Location: Narnia
Gender: Male

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby starkat » Dec 22, 2013 12:48 pm

I read an article saying much the same. Please please PLEASE NO Love triangle! Or pretty much ANYTHING romance related unless it's between Caspian and his Queen. I could see some touching moments between Caspian and his wife if they show flashbacks of Rillian growing up, but otherwise... NOooooooooooo.
User avatar
starkat
Moderator Emeritus
 
Posts: 18583
Joined: Feb 26, 2004

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby twinimage » Dec 22, 2013 1:34 pm

I can kind of see Eustace and Jill developing a small romance in the film if they forced it. But a love triangle? I'd have trouble seeing that happen unless they find Rilian much earlier on. By the time they save him in the book, the story is almost over.

Only way I see it serving the purpose of the story is if part of Jill's learning to trust others is for her to open her heart to Eustace... but I don't like the sound of that. lol I think I rather they add action scenes than try to force a romance between characters.
User avatar
twinimage
NarniaWeb Nut
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Jan 30, 2009
Location: U.S.

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby DamselJillPole » Dec 22, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm probably going to get fruit thrown at me because of this. Even though I did hate the love triangle in the Hobbit film I still loved the chemistry and relationship between Tauriel/Kili. Sorry but I'm a fan of them now. I found it to be very subtle and sweet. Especially how Tauriel was all "He's very tall for a dwarf." ^_^ And I know I'm not the sort of sucker to fall for that however I did.

I will scream my guts off if anything romantic is added between Jill and Eustace. You don't have to fall in love to learn how to trust. Trust comes with friendship too. And no, please no love triangles. I agree that the only romance that is really and only acceptable is Caspian and Ramandu's Daughter. Please show some flashbacks of them.
Image
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
User avatar
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
Location: A couple of Films here and there.
Gender: Female

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Yes, yes, and yes, @ DamselJillPole :ymapplause:

fantasia_kitty wrote:But my small glimmer of hope is that the Lewis Estate did their homework and picked out a production company that doesn't succumb to the sound of cash flowing in from squealing teenage girls. (Yes, that's a stereotype, no offense meant to those who don't fit this category...)


And doesn't that also so eloquently explain "Suspian" in Prince Caspian, the film?!! There, a romance of some sort was plausible, but only because the film messed with the timeline of the book. However, "Suspian" did fit in with Susan's character arc for the entire series, IMO, and the way other characters also reacted to her. So no harm done, even in VDT.

But I completely fail to see how Prince Rilian's character arc would allow him to be part of any romance, let alone the love triangle with Jill and Eustace, mentioned on this thread. Besides, both Jill and Eustace were terrified of what Prince Rilian might do to them and Puddleglum. That is what that Silver Chair-side debate was all about. And since I don't see any reason why Jill would be in any romance at all, even with Eustace, who still blames her for much of the book, for nearly killing him at the cliff-top, just how could a love triangle develop without totally ruining the film?

Now if it was between LOTGK, Prince Rilian and Jill, that would certainly give LOTGK extra venom.... :ymdevil: Except, that Jill, who despises the pre-Silver Chair Rilian, hasn't got any time with the restored Rilian to develop any sort of feelings. Unless the sort of stereotyped "squealing teenage girl" those film producers seem to be catering for, expects romance to happen at the drop of a hat.
User avatar
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot
 
Posts: 7078
Joined: Sep 25, 2009
Location: Oz
Gender: Female

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby twinimage » Dec 22, 2013 4:00 pm

All this talk of possible romances and yet no love for Puddleglum? :( lol jk
User avatar
twinimage
NarniaWeb Nut
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Jan 30, 2009
Location: U.S.

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby DamselJillPole » Dec 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Jill does kiss Puddleglum in the book. However it is meant to be friendly and she was grateful to him. I hope they don't misunderstand that either. :| Still Puddleglum is loved ;)
Image
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
User avatar
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
Location: A couple of Films here and there.
Gender: Female

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby Impending Doom » Dec 22, 2013 5:24 pm

When I clicked this thread I thought there had been some piece of news announcing a 'love triangle'.... Thankfully I was mistaken! #:-s Thats just how insecure I am about this film. Unfortunately after Dawn Treader I'm just not sure what they are going to do with the story.

I can't see a romance in SC (besides Caspian and Liliandil) unless they radically restructure the story and characters. If they do end up having a love-triangle I would be SOO tempted to not even watch the movie.

All this talk of possible romances and yet no love for Puddleglum? lol jk

Hahaha! Well he is a very handsome Marshwiggle. =)) =)) =))
Image
Instagram.com/becauseofnarnia | Twitter.com/becauseofnarnia
User avatar
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Oct 05, 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby Lady Galadriel » Dec 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Sadly, love triangles seem to be "the thing" these days. Just for something different, I would really like to see a strong female character who doesn't have to fall in love and "make her choice". What really frustrates me is if it appears to be added in purely for the sake of marketing the movie to teen girls. i-)

As for SC itself, I don't see any room in it for a love triangle to develop -- although there are plenty of possibilities for various romances to be thrown in. I could see one being added between Jill and Eustace (although I am desperately hoping this is not done). On the other hand, I could see a romance between LOTGK and Rilian. In my opinion, there is pretty close to a romance between the two in the book -- at least, Rilian is extremely infatuated with her (which isn't really a romance) ;)-- but Lewis didn't find it necessary to add in a large number of details about it.

It is a pity that VODT didn't capitalize on the romance between Caspian and Lilliandil. If they really wanted to have a romance to attract more viewers, this is a genuine one that they could have used. Instead, the general viewer doesn't even know that the two eventually get married. If/when SC gets made, it's almost completely imperative in my opinion that they bring back the actors for Caspian and Lilliandil for a scene or two -- just to show that they got married. If they don't show Caspian and Lilliandil's marriage visually, then they'd have to add in a narrator to tell these details.
User avatar
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Oct 25, 2009
Gender: Female

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 23, 2013 4:23 am

DamselJillPole wrote:Jill does kiss Puddleglum in the book. However it is meant to be friendly and she was grateful to him. I hope they don't misunderstand that either. :| Still Puddleglum is loved ;)


Yes, Puddleglum is loved, but not for his looks, or romantic cred, whatever he said about Jill's kissing him. Puddleglum is appreciated deeply because of his steadfast friendship and common sense in their trek to free Rilian.

Lady Galadriel wrote:On the other hand, I could see a romance between LOTGK and Rilian. In my opinion, there is pretty close to a romance between the two in the book -- at least, Rilian is extremely infatuated with her (which isn't really a romance) -- but Lewis didn't find it necessary to add in a large number of details about it.


So can I see a sort of romance between LOTGK & Rilian, but a coercive relationship and not a very healthy one. Sorry to say, unless the filmmakers want another kiddie movie, I do think it needs to be explored in the movie, perhaps as a contrast to memories of Lilliandil, or maybe to show the difference between a good Queen and a controlling and dangerous one. There is a good reason why Lewis didn't put in much detail, and, apart from it being a children's book, I suspect it has more to do with current events at the time than any view he might have about women.

Take a look at the progress of this relationship. As a snake, LOTGK kills Caspian's Queen. Caspian and Rilian both grieve bitterly over this loss, but Rilian, when he goes after the creature who killed her, is lured away from Narnia by a mysterious and beautiful woman. Somehow or other LOTGK is able to kidnap Rilian and imprison him for ten years in her abode, deep under Narnia, from where she plans to invade that country with an army.

At first there might have been some sort of romantic relationship to get Rilian where he was, but I disagree he was infatuated with LOTGK. He seems more bewitched into dependency on her, rather than infatuated with her. Perhaps he was drugged or magicked into forgetfulness for much of the time, only to become aware of himself once a day, after dinner.

C.S.Lewis would have known a lot more about UK history than I do, and Silver Chair, originally published in 1953, Queen Elizabeth's coronation year, does tap into some of the unease and suspicion that Royal consorts have been subjected to from time to time in UK history.
User avatar
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot
 
Posts: 7078
Joined: Sep 25, 2009
Location: Oz
Gender: Female

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby King_Erlian » Dec 23, 2013 5:33 am

If they stick reasonably close to the book, then Eustace and Jill will still be too young to be involved in any romantic relationships. They're at the age when romance is "yuck!" I really do hope they don't age the characters to their mid-teens to allow for love pairings, triangles, quadrilaterals or whatever. It just wouldn't be C. S. Lewis' story any more.

I was thinking about what The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe might have been like if the filmmakers had decided to turn it into a teen movie. "Once upon a time there were four young adults whose names were Peter (20), Susan (19), Edmund (17) and Lucy (16). Edmund was the nasty one because his voice hadn't broken yet and he had terrible acne. One day Lucy went through a magic wardrobe and met a faun named Mr. Tumnus, who invited her to a nightclub. Meanwhile Edmund met the White Witch. She reminded him of his mother and so appealed to him as he had an Oedipus complex. When Peter and Susan finally got into Narnia, Susan was immediately attracted to Mr. Beaver, while Peter met a very attractive lady Centaur..."
User avatar
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Feb 03, 2012
Location: Northern England
Gender: Male

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby Reepicheep775 » Dec 23, 2013 2:51 pm

King_Erlian wrote:If they stick reasonably close to the book, then Eustace and Jill will still be too young to be involved in any romantic relationships.

Which is why I'm anxious to see who will be playing Eustace and Jill. If they're below a certain age, I think we can rest easy, but if they're older (e.g. if Will Poulter comes back and the actress playing Jill matches his age) I would be very worried about an added romance - to the point where I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a romance. It's hard to even imagine a modern fantasy/adventure movie with two teen/twenty-something leads of opposite genders without a romance of some sort.
Image
User avatar
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Aug 20, 2007
Location: Canada
Gender: Male

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby Glumpuddle » Dec 24, 2013 2:07 pm

FK... You must know that if this happens, we're all going to blame you.
Image
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
User avatar
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Fanatic
News Poster, Podcaster
 
Posts: 4926
Joined: May 14, 2004
Location: United States
Gender: Male

Re: "They had to have a love triangle..."

Postby twinimage » Dec 25, 2013 9:40 am

Reepicheep775 wrote:If they're below a certain age, I think we can rest easy....


I don't know about that. The script comes first, then the casting. They may put a romance in the story and then cast young kids.
Have you seen The Karate Kid remake with Jaden Smith? Those kids were YOUNG. They were like pre-puberty. lol
User avatar
twinimage
NarniaWeb Nut
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Jan 30, 2009
Location: U.S.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron