This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What would the theme be?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

What would the theme be?

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm

There are four Narnia books yet to be adapted to film. If you had to use one phrase to describe what the theme should be for each one, which phrase would you use?
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: What would the theme be?

Postby EtJ » Dec 19, 2013 11:23 am

The Silver Chair- Having faith and following the signs.

The Magician's Nephew- Discovering New Worlds

The Horse and His Boy- The Lost are Found

The Last Battle- Further Up and Further In
"To the Great Western Wood, I give you...."
EtJ
Moderator Emeritus
Mad Mod of GMD and G&B

Postby Impending Doom » Dec 19, 2013 5:22 pm

EtJ wrote:The Silver Chair- Having faith and following the signs.

I was going to post some ideas I had, but these phrases are perfect. :ymapplause:
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby twinimage » Dec 19, 2013 9:12 pm

The Silver Chair definitely have themes of keeping the faith, doing right and being obedient even when there's strong doubt. Follow the signs (trust/obedience/faith), live like a Narnian even if there is no Narnia (faith/perseverance)

The Horse and His Boy - I feel a more accurate description I've heard is finding one's true home. That sort of sums it up, but I'm sure you can go deeper with that I'm sure.

Magician's Nephew - Haven't thought much on MN themes before. If you think about it, the book is full of images and references to life; it being given, Aslan warning on how to live ones life and the antagonists wanting to use it for their own benefit. I can't think of a phrase right now, but it would be something about using the life we have been given for good and not for greed, power or evil. That seems to be the strongest theme that sticks out to me.

Last Battle - To expound more on the phrase, Further up and further in, could it possibly mean there is so much more to this life and what's beyond this life and so much more to the next life than what we think?

I know these aren't just one phrase, but I do like to ponder on the themes. It's a fun exercise. After thinking about it, I think I actually feel I understand MN better. Thanks! :)
twinimage
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Reepicheep775 » Dec 19, 2013 10:24 pm

SC: Finding hope during seemingly hopeless situations (this is bookended with Experiment House at the beginning and Underland at the end) and remaining steadfast through adversity. I think those are the two main themes of SC.

MN: Last time I read MN the theme I got was traditional morality triumphing over those who think they're above it (e.g. Jadis, Uncle Andrew). The two villains both think the rules of right and wrong don't apply to "great" people like themselves.

HHB: I don't know if this is the main theme, but overcoming pride is a big theme for me. Bree, Aravis, and Shasta all get over pride in their different ways.

LB: To echo EtJ, LB is all about going further up and further in. :D
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 23, 2013 11:30 pm

EtJ wrote:The Silver Chair- Having faith and following the signs.

As good as these answers are, I still believe the 7 books of Narnia might also correspond with the 7 deadly sins and their opposing virtues.

Silver Chair - Sloth and diligence. Eustace and Jill, in particular, had to work hard to remember the signs. Rilian's predicament was due to his liking of having a good time. Even Puddleglum observed that life is not all bobbance and bounce.

The Magician's Nephew - anger and mercy. Despite the unwillingness of the likes of Jadis or Uncle Andrew to accept limitations, I think this still works. The consequences of Jadis' anger against her sister was complete devastation. When Jadis disobeyed the directive on the garden gate, she experienced the mercy that the apple worked on her as it was programmed to do. It was only her own heart that soured the experience. Digory did treat Polly badly, but was treated mercifully when he was able to use his fairly obtained apple to heal his mother.

The Horse and His Boy - Pride and humility. I agree that pride has much to do with this story, especially where it concerns the way Tashbaan and Calormen are run, the Tisroc and his son, Anradin, Bree and doubtless others are concerned. What about humility? The false humility of Arsheesh and Ahoshta? What about Shasta, Cor, Corin, Susan, Edmund, or Aravis? Or Lazaraleen?

The Last Battle- Jealousy and kindness. I can see the jealousy of the likes of Shift, Rishda Tarkaan and even Ginger the cat. But how does the kindness come into it?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Glumpuddle » Jan 04, 2014 11:13 am

The emotional heart of SC, for me, is a damaged girl learning to trust again. In the opening scene, Jill Pole is crying because she is in a terrible situation with no one to turn to. She doesn't seem to have any friends, she is constantly bullied, and she certainly can't turn to her teachers. (And, it may or may not be worth pointing out that Jill is the only human character in the series whose parents are never mentioned).

Jill's first step towards being able to trust is taken only because the other option is dying of thirst. It's a baby step, but it's a start.

It's not surprising that when a mysterious and intimidating lion gives her a near impossible task and four vague signs to follow.... she has a hard time trusting that.

I believe it is primarily through Puddleglum's example that Jill gains the ability to trust again.

People will let you down. Gonna happen. But you can't let that fear run your life.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Lilygloves » Jan 04, 2014 2:10 pm

I think the best summary of the theme of trust and faith and obedience can be summed up in Puddleglum's speech: "I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." When the LOTGK was trying to convince them that it wasn't real, Puddleglum stood up for his faith and decided to obey and trust Aslan, even though he was starting to be enchanted to believe he didn't exist.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Let's see... :-?

The Silver Chair: Learning to trust and to be trustworthy. Learning to do what you know to be right, regardless of your own personal comfort or safety. Having the courage to go on reaching for faith even when faith itself seems lost. The fortitude to say that this darkness which surrounds me is not my home; I am of the light and I will not give up in seeking it.

The Magician's Nephew: No one is above morality, not even those who fashion themselves as great sovereigns and scientists. A single reprehensible choice can create an avalanche of misery, but forgiveness and mercy is available to those who are willing do whatever it takes to right their wrong. Do not be afraid that the very Being which embodies Love does not care about our loved ones as we do; they care much more.

The Horse and His Boy: The proud will be humbled and the meek will inherit the earth. Unshakeable arrogance can have terrible consequences, and if you are unrepentant for wrongdoing, then you may find that you are walking a mile in the shoes of those you have wronged. You are not as unfortunate as you think you are, and you are not alone.

The Last Battle: Beware those that are pretending to be something they aren't, and hold fast to what you know what to be true in the face of lies. Have courage when everything seems lost and faith to keep fighting the good fight. Those who shun truth will grow deaf to the sound of it, and those who earnestly seek it will eventually find it. The infinite isn't one moment, over and over again, but rather a journey of being pulled further up and further in for eternity.

... Oh dear, that was way more than one phrase. Hope you don't mind. :ymblushing: The Narnia books have so many powerful themes running through each novel; it's difficult to condense them down into one phrase.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Nic5 » Jul 15, 2014 5:18 am

Horse & His Boy:

It seems to me the Major theme(s) is Identity, Duality, Unity.

slave boy who doesn't know he's a Prince, Princess who has to act like a porper, Duality & associated arcs for both, they meet each other, they both achieve different kind of unitys to their characters by end of story, along with each other.

The two horses have similar qualities happening in their arcs.

Rabadash has no grasp at all of duality in anything, by end of the film he has to learn or live as a donkey!

MN: havn't really thought specifics, Charn/Jadis/White Witch a major element of it anyhow.

SC: ditto, something relating to Ghosts! S.C. should be the Ghostee & Spooky Narnia film!!!

LB: I'd have 'Time' in there, & make it very Starry.
Nic5
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Nic5 » Jul 18, 2014 9:12 pm

I've had abit of a think, & to me, the main theme running through SC should be rememberence/memory. I would make that it's thematic motif. In relation to that, if it was me, i would make SC a prominently spooky & ghosty style of film, i'd really dial that up in the tone of the film. This would also compliment the main theme, as ghosts & spooks are essentially dis-embodied spirits in character, neither here nor there, real and not real characters/monsters.

A Ghosty & spooky SC with a rememberence thematic thrust, would also lead very well into The Last Battle content for a film series.

I am not convinced that doing the SC now, is the way to re-ignite the Narnia film series for the general movie going public. To do a specific & interesting/long lasting SC film, will require context on the part of the audience if to buy into it. As that is currently not really there outside of more hardcore Narnia specific fans, it is unlikely to happen as wouldn't be understood by general audience, which can only mean a more generic S.C. But a more generic S.C will not do it for a wider audience either. For S.C to re-boot the franchise it would need to be the best and most successful Narnia film yet.

It just isn't the content story wise to re-boot with for engaging a wider audience back into the Narnia series/chronicles, which is what the next film has to be able to do in a standalone fashion, unless for some reason the film recieves out of the world hype when playing.

Also, doing S.C then means going backwards at least once more for either M.N or H&HB. How likely is that kind of scenario for a complete suddessful Narnia film series going to be or for non-specific Narnia people to take the time to find what it's all about?

I'm MN or bust, it's not my favorite book out of them all, but i think it has what the franchise needs to set it up for the remaining films.
Nic5
NarniaWeb Regular