This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

WHAT POSITION WOULD HAVE WORKED BEST FOR ASLAN?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

in forest scene

On his belly
33%
Standing up
No votes
Sitting
No votes
On his back
No votes
On his side
67%

Total votes : 3

WHAT POSITION WOULD HAVE WORKED BEST FOR ASLAN?

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Nov 14, 2013 9:40 am

AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: What position would have worked best for Aslan?

Postby Glumpuddle » Nov 15, 2013 11:26 pm

I would love to have seen Aslan on his side with Lucy between his paws during the actual conversation. It would have changed the dynamic of the scene.

I have to echo Darren Jacobs' thoughts:

"In the book during all Lucy’s excuses not to follow Aslan, even though she clearly saw him, he GROWLS AT HER. The movie shows a softer side of Aslan, and I think that was its mistake. As a screenwriter I would have not only had him growl, but extend his claws, impale the turf, and pull Lucy closer. The problem is so obvious it shouldn’t even be stated: Aslan is a lion. Lions have claws and fangs and know how to use them."
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Glumpuddle » Nov 17, 2013 9:08 pm

AslanTheLion wrote:He doesn't exactly growl at her. From the book:

From somewhere deep inside Aslan's body there came the faintest suggestion of a growl.

One of my favorite quotes of the whole series. I can just imagine myself lying against his stomach or his side, and feeling the ever-so-slightest vibration from the depths of his great body, suggesting a growl.

I think Lewis is pretty clear that Aslan does indeed growl. He just growls very softly.

And that whole aspect of the scene was not in the movie. :(
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Reepicheep775 » Nov 17, 2013 10:16 pm

I loved the beginning of Aslan's reappearance. He roars right in front of Lucy and then pounces on the Telmarine chasing her (love that shot! B-) ), but before he pounces, Lucy looks at Aslan with genuine fear. She isn't sure what he's going to do, because of course he's not a tame lion.

After the Telmaine is taken care of, however, Aslan is in gentle mode and the audience is well aware that Lucy has nothing to fear... unlike in the book where he faintly growls at her. I would've much appreciated the growl (or the "faint suggestion" of a growl), but because of the way the beginning of the scene captured Aslan's wildness, I have an easier time forgiving the missing growl.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Nov 18, 2013 9:27 am

I would have been happier with the scene if there had just been more full-body shots of Aslan.
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 25, 2014 2:49 pm

When they split and moved the scene to a different part of the story it gave it a rushed feel. :( And if you have to hurry off to save the day you don't exactly have time to lay down and have a leisurely chat.

I would have liked to see the scene at night, in its entirety, looking more like the piece of concept art that does show Aslan lying down with Lucy between his paws.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Nov 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Meltintalle wrote:When they split and moved the scene to a different part of the story it gave it a rushed feel. :( And if you have to hurry off to save the day you don't exactly have time to lay down and have a leisurely chat.

I would have liked to see the scene at night, in its entirety, looking more like the piece of concept art that does show Aslan lying down with Lucy between his paws.

Pacing-wise, the movie was rushed.
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular