This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Should The Silver Chair be released in 3d?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Should The Silver Chair be released in 3d?

Postby jewel » Apr 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Huh. Thanks Trojan Horse. But couldn't 3-d help out the box office to The Silver Chair?
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lilygloves » Apr 19, 2014 9:12 pm

I honestly don't like films that were offered in 3D purely to boost the box office. It doesn't look good and there are just some scenes that are obviously in there for the 3D effect (like Coriakin unrolling the scroll). Sometimes though it just works and the big 3D scenes look natural. For example, when Lion King was released in 3D I saw it and some of the scenes looked great, despite the fact that the original artists were obviously not trying to make it look cool for 3D.
If I were to name a Narnia film that would be good in 3D, I would probably say that VDT would have been the best shot because of the swooping shots of the ship, the scenes with the stormy waves, etc. There's just more in it that would naturally look good in VDT, but I think we all agree that they dropped the ball on that one.
My second guess might be HHB or LB because the fighting and traveling scenes would look cool, but I don't know about SC. The scenes in the Underworld, Harfang, and when Jill is in the letters "Under Me" (basically the second half of the story) could look really cool though. A 3D snake would be interesting...
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby CaptainM » Jul 01, 2014 8:26 am

Impending Doom wrote:Well, I don't want a last-minute, sloppy 3D conversion like Voyage had. If the filmmakers film the movie in 3D I won't have a problem with it. I just don't see a point in it.

But making movies in 3D can be pretty costly, so if there is a smaller budget, I'd much rather have them spend the money on more useful things like production design, quality actors, Aslan etc.

I totally agree with you. I don't want a 3D version But at the same time I just want the best possible film and if that means it will be 3D I am okay with that
"How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese"-Charles De Gaulle
CaptainM
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 01, 2014 5:34 pm

I am a huge fan of 3D; so naturally my response is "yes."

I feel like a lot of times people think of 3D as only the gimmicky stuff: the fist that looks like it's going to hit you, the snow that comes out of the screen, etc., etc. But in my mind, that's almost bad 3D. The beautiful, wonderful kind of 3D is one that does exactly what it says: it makes the image appear in three dimensions. Good 3D gives everything so much more depth; you can see the expressions on the actors so much better and all the details that much clearer.

...So with all that praise, naturally I have a caution. 3D is awesome, but it also makes everything that's not exactly perfect that much more obvious (hence one of the reasons the Hobbit's 48fps +3D looked wonky: waaaaaay more time for the CGI rendering to look... well, rendered). Also, the director needs to be comfortable with 3D so s/he can know how to shoot in ways that work well.

Honestly, shooting with an eye for IMAX instead of 3D, like Nolan did for the Dark Knight series, could also be an interesting move.
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 02, 2014 4:00 am

3D is probably expected now. If you have access to 3D blu-ray you will want to use that option when the videos start coming out.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 02, 2014 8:28 am

I'm about 97.5% sure that 3D is here to stay. That said, I'll need some convincing to go see Silver Chair in 3D.

NarnianBadger wrote: The beautiful, wonderful kind of 3D is one that does exactly what it says: it makes the image appear in three dimensions. Good 3D gives everything so much more depth; you can see the expressions on the actors so much better and all the details that much clearer.

^This. So much this. I'd rather imagine I'm being led into the world on the screen instead of flinching back in my seat to avoid the flying glass or whatnot. There's a place for those reactions, but it's like humor and tension in the script--you need the one to balance out the other.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Jul 16, 2014 11:20 pm

I think Narnia needs to be in 3D. There is no reason for it not to be. Anyone that doesn't want to see it in 3D can (for the most part) watch it in 2D. I'm fact, it would be rather irresponsible (financially) for Silver Chair to NOT go 3D. The 3D film/conversion process has matured since 2010 and has shown to improve box office results. And let's face it, Narnia needs to look as good as possible to bean counters so that a Narnia 5 can be green lit. A conversion process is a few million dollars and the box office increase is significantly more than that. In fact, some box office markets like China limit the number of foreign films shown in their country. So the limited number of films that ARE permitted to be screened in China by quota have to be premium format films (IMAX - which Narnia has never been) or 3D format. Narnia will limit it's ability to break into this very important market by not being 3D. China's box office market has grown so much in the last few years that Transformers 4 opened to an incredible $98 million opening weekend and is approaching $300 million there, outgrossing its US numbers. Obviously Narnia will not open to those numbers, but it will do well in China. Each Narnia film has grossed more than the previous one in China and Dawn Treader was the highest grossing Narnia film over there. We are seeing some similar trends in other global box office markets. Narnia cannot cripple it's ability to enter this market or any other similar markets by not releasing in 3D format.
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 17, 2014 5:18 am

I have to agree that 3D is the way to go. It is getting to be expected anyway. And there are fantastical bits that would be tremendous in 3D in Silver Chair. Such as the transition to Narnia, entering the Parliament of Owls, snow in the trenches, or in the Underlands. Not to mention that snowball that hit Jill as she emerged into Narnia at the end.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby jewel » Jul 26, 2014 11:04 am

Well 3d at least should help box office for the film.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aslan Fan » Aug 08, 2014 10:31 am

Impending Doom wrote:Well, I don't want a last-minute, sloppy 3D conversion like Voyage had. If the filmmakers film the movie in 3D I won't have a problem with it. I just don't see a point in it.

But making movies in 3D can be pretty costly, so if there is a smaller budget, I'd much rather have them spend the money on more useful things like production design, quality actors, Aslan etc.

I totally agree. I would prefer high quality CGI, actors, and writing/action over 3D. But I'm not adverse to 3D. I wouldn't mind it as long as they had done a good job everywhere else.
Aslan Fan
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous