This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

VDT: Re-watch and discuss

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

VDT: Re-watch and discuss

Postby ramagut » Jul 24, 2013 6:08 am

There have been many comments in different threads recently about re-watching Voyage of the Dawn Treader to see if opinions have changed at all after time has passed.

So, go re-watch VDT (or if you have watched it recently), post your thoughts, especially any that have changed since VDT first came out. It will be interesting to see how opinions have changed or not.

I will need to find a copy of it and watch it, then I will report back myself! :)
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Re: VDT: Re-watch and discuss

Postby starkat » Jul 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Reepicheep - Good
Eustace - Great
Reepicheep and Eustace interaction - fantastic!
Dawn Treader - Perfect!
Scene at the end of the movie - Good
Transition to and from Narnia - good

Anything to do with the green mist - forgettable.

Pretty much the same opinion I had from the beginning. I walked out of the showing with practically no memory of the green mist parts, but the book parts stuck in my brain. I can remember the green mist parts now as I've seen it more, but I still think they are the least impressive parts of the movie.
starkat

Postby King_Erlian » Jul 29, 2013 1:57 am

I watched VDT a couple of weeks ago on my iPod while on a long train journey. I didn't think about how much it deviated from the book, I just watched it as if I'd never seen it before or read the story. I enjoyed it. As a made-predominately-for-kids, good-versus-evil kind of film, I thought it worked well. The idea of the Green Mist wasn't properly developed; if you were going to have it, maybe there should have been some sentient being behind it that the Narnians would have encountered towards the end of the film. The Mist was just there, and went away once the Seven Swords were placed onto Aslan's Table. But on the plus side, I think they tackled the development of Eustace's character very well. Overall, I think I now prefer the film of VDT to that of Prince Caspian.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glumpuddle » Jul 31, 2013 3:13 pm

I will try to give it another viewing. I saw it three times in theaters and twice on Blu-ray. I remember going into my second viewing praying that I would see it differently. Hoping that somehow I would see something I didn't see before. But each viewing feels like a total waste of time. Watching Disney Channel for a couple hours feels more productive.

King_Erlian wrote:As a made-predominately-for-kids, good-versus-evil kind of film, I thought it worked well.

As a fan of the book, that is what offended me most. Seeing such a wonderfully-written and dense piece of literature translated into something I would expect to see in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart, next to a Spongebob DVD. Seemed like it was all done so carelessly.

I remember posting my reaction online after seeing the movie, and a few people said something to the effect of "Chill out, it's just a silly kids movie. Not something to be taken seriously." It hurt when I realized they were right. :(

As a moviegoer... I think I was just kinda bored. ;)

starkat wrote:Anything to do with the green mist - forgettable.

Pretty much the same opinion I had from the beginning. I walked out of the showing with practically no memory of the green mist parts, but the book parts stuck in my brain.

Could you elaborate on that? I think that's like saying "I liked Jaws, except for that whole trying-to-kill-the-shark plot." The VDT movie is a story about a crew trying to defeat an evil green mist, and how the mist influences them along the way. The mist is the foundation of the entire story. And it's "forgettable."

Do you think it's possible that, as a reader, you are able to dissect the non-book parts from your emotional memory? If we are attempting to review the movie as a stand-alone piece, that is obviously not possible.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby starkat » Aug 01, 2013 3:52 am

Not a clue. I just remember walking out of the movie for the first time and I pretty much couldn't remember the parts with the green mist and thought the parts closer to the book were just fantastic. I also loved the way they extended the scene between Eustace and Reep where he threatened Eustace with a duel and morphed it into a sword fighting lesson.

My brain works in weird ways. Until I watch movies at least twice, all of the details don't stick in my brain. It's actually not abnormal for me to be able to quote scenes out of the movie after watching it 2 - 3 times depending on the movie. So I just chalked it up to the fact I don't normally remember everything on the first viewing.

Now that I've seen it enough to actually remember everything, I still classify the green mist parts as forgettable and tend to not focus on it unless I am watching the movie again. During the actual movie viewing process there is much in the way of sighs and why did they do that? type moments. I think it's actually a function of the way my brain works. I have the capacity to watch/read and then turn around and rewatch/reread movies and books over and over again and finding it enjoyable without getting bored in a short time span. My dad on the other hand doesn't rewatch movies at all. He gets bored rewatching something. So I think it's a function of the way my memory works not the ability to dissect parts from my emotional memory.

And it is possible as I do this with say Secretariat or Seabiscuit. I have the non fiction books that both movies are based on. I can sit there and go "that is from the book" or "that's different" or "they changed that to make the movie work". I also do it with Apollo 13. Before that movie came out, I'd read the book that Jim Lovell wrote at least 3 times. I proceeded to get highly caught up in the movie and then when I walked out, I went back and reread the book and was going "why did they do that?" in places. I later had the opportunity to ask some of the people involved just why they did that and, in that case, it made sense.

Going back to the original topic...
I rewatched VDT not that long ago with Gymfan. I saw the way it knit together fairly well and wasn't thrown out of the flow. Still wasn't thrilled with the green mist parts, but dearly loved the parts that were close to the book.
starkat

Postby Movie Aristotle » Oct 04, 2013 6:21 pm

I saw VDT a short while ago. I realized I hadn't seen it since it came to DVD so I pulled it out again. As I watched it on Blu-Ray, I was struck by how beautiful the visuals were. I think you could take several well chosen stills and illustrate the book nicely.

I was surprisingly satisfied with the film as a whole. It worked much better as a film than I had given it credit for.

Still, as an adaptation it is a sad attempt at retelling the deep and majestic tale that Lewis told us.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Oct 04, 2013 11:00 pm

I've watched VDT regularly since it came out on DVD in 2011. I've learned to view it from a more critiquing perspective. Visually the film is very gorgeous. The Dawn Treader is stunning!

Looking back on the events, they didn't really change the plot; more along the lines of adding to it. It changes the feel of the film, but it's not really a bad film. I still quite enjoy it. I do think that, to an extent, the plot should have been handled more sophisticatedly. All plot additions considered or not, this is the films biggest liability. Am I satisfied with the film? Absolutely! But would I have made it differently? Probably.

I'm quite hopeful about the Silver Chair if it gets a healthy budget.

The films in my order of preference:

1. Prince Caspian
2. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
3. Lion Witch Wardrobe
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Linden » Oct 05, 2013 8:38 pm

I've watched VDT fairly recently, and it made me rather attached to some scenes. I like the Magician's Book scene (even though it's far more beautiful in the book), the Eustace/Reepicheep bonding, and basically everything from the Silver Sea onward. The very ending scene I love especially. Even though I dislike (and am offended) by the movie in general, I might eventually buy the movie just for that scene. The bit about Jill coming by for a visit bugs me, but I pretend it's not there, because otherwise the last scene's pretty much perfect.

But there's still so much more I dislike about the movie. The story changes, the Dawn Treader herself, the story changes, the whole tone of the movie. The story changes. It's by far my least favourite Narnia adaptation. But even I'll admit it has some good parts.
Linden
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Impending Doom » Oct 19, 2013 5:56 pm

I overall still enjoy VDT. Magicain's Book scene, End Of The World scene , and the Reepicheep/Eustace dual are some of my favourite scenes in the series.

I truely think that an Extended Edition would GREATLY improve the film. Add some scenes with Reepicheep showing his longing to go to Aslan's Country (This would make the last scene when he goes over the wave much more powerful!), spend more time on each Island - setting up a sence of mystery of the unknown, exploring etc. And IDK maybe show the crew genuinely feeling sorry for the Lords! :)

IMHO 'Dawn Treader' is my least favourite in the series, but I still love re-watching it!
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Skilletdude » Oct 20, 2013 10:11 pm

Impending Doom wrote:I truely think that an Extended Edition would GREATLY improve the film.

I suppose that's true if you could stomach the clumsy main addition to the story plot, i.e. the Green Mist. But seeing as though the whole film revolves around this element that isn't even in the book, an extended edition would just make a mediocre experience even longer.

I recently sold my VDT DVD. I just couldn't get over the fact that I was watching such a hollowed out take on this great story. Say what you want about the low budget BBC version, but even they preserved much of the essence of the book. And that's why it's the only version still on my shelf.
Mary Jane: You know, you're taller than you look.
Peter: I hunch.
Mary Jane: Don't.
Skilletdude
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Varnafinde » Oct 21, 2013 7:46 am

Impending Doom wrote:I truely think that an Extended Edition would GREATLY improve the film. Add some scenes with Reepicheep showing his longing to go to Aslan's Country (This would make the last scene when he goes over the wave much more powerful!), spend more time on each Island - setting up a sence of mystery of the unknown, exploring etc. And IDK maybe show the crew genuinely feeling sorry for the Lords! :)

I don't think there's much to extend it with - an extended version only uses sequences that have been filmed, but weren't used in the theatrical version.

And I have heard about unused sequences, but not of scenes such as the ones you wish for.

This could be something to bear in mind if there's ever a remake, though :)
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Oct 23, 2013 8:39 pm

I too think that VDT would benefit from an extended edition. Didn't they cast an Indian actress as a Calormene ambassadors wife? I'm curious as to how much was filmed that didn't end up in the DVD.
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 26, 2013 2:58 am

I recently rewatched the movie with my mom. She hasn't read any of the books however she adores the film a lot. I'm still rather so and so about it. It's not the best Narnia film but I will prefer it over PC any day. It's fun to watch and Will Poulter is really the only real reason why I watch it because I love his Eustace. Mostly I try to separate it away from the book and I'll watch the BBC version instead to get that real feel of the true Narnia.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lilygloves » Oct 28, 2013 2:49 pm

I am currently rewatching VDT with the director and producer's commentary. I haven't watch this in over a year, so to be honest it was worst than I remembered. To be honest, it was really painful to hear the commentary because of Apted, "All good adventure stories need to have a villain. It was a tough book to adapt because it doesn't really have a strong storyline through it." I honestly don't understand why he would adapt the book if he doesn't even seem to like it, and I think his disregard for the real meaning of the book comes through in the quality. I wouldn't have minded the cheesy dialogue and poor acting if it wasn't for the drastic plot and theme changes, especially since the plot changes don't even make sense.
I did love the attention to detail and it gave me something to enjoy, and Will Poulter is perfect as Eustace in my opinion. I think I love him even more this time around.
However, in summary, the ignorance of the director tears my heart so it almost has as many holes as the plot of this movie.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Impending Doom » Oct 30, 2013 4:59 pm

In regard to my previous post, I was writing about VDT as a film itself not as an adaptation. As an adaptation my opinion hasn't changed much since it was first released, it couldn't of got much worse. They radically change the plot, to a point where it wasn't recognizably the VDT that we read and love.
To be honest, it was really painful to hear the commentary because of Apted, "All good adventure stories need to have a villain. It was a tough book to adapt because it doesn't really have a strong storyline through it."

8-| It does hurt to hear the person directing the film, the person who has the honour and the privilege to bring VDT to life, not even have a basic understanding of the book.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut