This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Set Visit - Narrowhaven Town Square Photo

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Set Visit - Narrowhaven Town Square Photo

Postby icarus » Dec 10, 2009 3:36 pm

It took me a while to decide whether or not this was worth posting as a forum entry, or what the main point of interest in the story was. I did a bit of research to see if their was potentially a bigger story in this, and even though i couldn't find anything, i thought i might as well post it as it is. Even if there isn't the greatest amount of discussion worthy material at present, there may be later.

So anyway, a group of school children from Cherbourg State School in Australia entered a short film in the Queensland Young Filmmakers Festival 2009, and apparently won the "Story with Impact" award. Their prize was a visit to the set of Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

A behind the scenes tour of the set was a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit the Magical world of Narnia. We even got to stand at the helm of the Dawn Treader! Thanks to Ernie Malik and Alicia Mayer Beverley (see below) for making this possible. The young filmmakers from Cherbourg, are now looking forward to their tour of the John Cox Creature Workshop, which will be another feast of cinema magic. Way to go, Cherbourg! We hope this inspires communities all over Australia to make and share their stories

http://www.youngfilmmakersfestivalqueensland.com/

They haven't written a full on set report like some of the previous visitors did (at least, not one that i've managed to find just yet) but they did for now include a photo of them at what i presume to be the Narrowhaven Town Square set, based on previous set report descriptions:

http://www.youngfilmmakersfestivalqueen ... narnia.jpg

For reference, here is the quote from one of the previous set reports, describing the set.

Peter Scott from ABC Brisbane wrote:I saw four sets. The first one was a medieval, Italian village with dirt streets and high, stone, castle-like walls. Construction workers were pulling it down as filming was finished in that set

The other potential point of interest in this story was this quote here:

The young filmmakers from Cherbourg, are now looking forward to their tour of the John Cox Creature Workshop, which will be another feast of cinema magic.

It doesn't necessarily imply it was in anyway related to the Narnia Set visit, but i checked it out anyway to see if they were doing any work on VDT. However, i couldn't find anything. They have done work on previous Walden Media projects (Nim's Island) but there was no solid Narnia connection to be found. I would presume anyway that all the creature effects work would be done by KNB anyway, but i'll be keeping an eye open.

http://www.johncox.net/
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: Set Visit - Narrowhaven Town Square Photo

Postby ceppault » Dec 11, 2009 8:46 pm

I certainly appreciate seeing the pic with the kids. Nice to see another set.

Unlike that set in Barrandov Studios for Prince Caspian, it seems these sets are only used for a few days and then taken down.

John Cox Creature Workshop is also linked from the Warner Roadshow Studio website.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 12, 2009 11:01 am

That is SO cool! that's a great picture!
:D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby icarus » Dec 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Still haven't managed to find any further details about this set visit yet - though it seems the sort of thing a school might write up a report on later down the line, so i'll keep an eye open.

The only one minor tidbit of further information i found was confirmation on the Young Filmmakers Festival Facebook page that the photo was indeed taken at WarnerRoadshow Studios:

The set was at Warner Bros Studios on the Gold Coast

Presumably it was built on a backlot somewhere at the studio, since that photo is very clearly taken outside judging from the lighting, shadows etc.

http://www.facebook.com/people/Young-Fi ... 0125063350
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Dec 14, 2009 8:38 am

Sorry that took me so long to get this posted :ymblushing: but it's up now. :)

Yeah, I agree that must be Narrowhaven's town set. Perhaps the inside of Gumpas's castle courtyard? Or just outside of it? Very cool picture. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Kate » Dec 15, 2009 11:25 pm

It's an interesting set. I always pictured Narrowhaven a bit more wood and less stone. That set has a similar feeling to Osgiliath in my opinion, though it will probably have no similarities when it is finally seen on screen.

It's neat that it seems to be crumbling. That seems to play along nicely with Gumpas as the neglectful governor.
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby Adeona » Dec 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Kate wrote:It's an interesting set. I always pictured Narrowhaven a bit more wood and less stone. That set has a similar feeling to Osgiliath in my opinion...

I pictured it as a mixture of stone, wood, and plaster (Kind of a mixture of Egyptian and Indian).

As to the similarities to Osgiliath... I think I can see them, too. The stonework actually looks kind of... Early Mexican/South American, also.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child