This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Doug Gresham Podcast (+ a few other bits)

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Doug Gresham Podcast (+ a few other bits)

Postby fantasia » Dec 06, 2009 4:56 pm

I downloaded it onto my computer to listen to it. You might try that? I don't know what's wrong as far as why it won't play though...
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby tenthofthatname » Dec 06, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks! It's my browser or something as nothing that streams is playing audio right now, youtube included. I got it to work through the direct download just fine.

ETA: I have to say his views on everything else are distracting me from what he says about VDT. Lots of interesting insight on various subjects! But he definitely sounds pleased about the movie. Loved the emphasis on King Caspian.
tenthofthatname
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby daughter of the King » Dec 06, 2009 7:55 pm

I do find it reassuring that Mr. Gresham thinks the movie will be great, but that is somewhat counteracted by him not thinking all of the changes were necessary. Which is the thing that bugs me, if the changes aren't necessary, why are they there? I'm not the filmmakers, so I can't pretend to know what they're thinking, but what's the point of changing something that doesn't need to be changed? Oh, whatever, I'll still go see it. But if the spirit of the book or the characters is destroyed I hope they won't make SC. No movie is better than a poor one. Sorry about panicking in my earlier post. I tend to overreact when I'm up too late.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby further up and further in » Dec 06, 2009 8:01 pm

I listened to the whole podcast. It doesn't really squelch my angst about what he says about the book being better and him not agreeing with how they changed the story for the movie. For him to say these things at this stage of the process, while at the same time trying to positively promote the movie, it makes you wonder how far off are they straying? I don't remember him being this blunt about how they changed Prince Caspian before it came out; he mentioned at the time (if my memory serves me) that there were some changes, but that he was on board with all of them. Here, it doesn't seem like he's on really on board, and doesn't have the influence that he should have as the guardian of C.S. Lewis' art.

Dawn Treader is a great story, an epic. What has to be changed?
It was only the beginning of the true story, which goes on forever, and in which every chapter is better than the one before.
further up and further in
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Gresham is very privileged but I don't think he's self-righteous and preachy as the blogger in the first post below (on the podcast page) suggests. That said, he could've interrupted Ian (the host) less. Fascinating interview though, very challenging. Not sure I agree with the education talk (in regards to Australia at least). What about those people who's parents are tyrants or just not well-educated, or the children who aren't suited to such a thing? I agree that competition is rubbish though.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby tenthofthatname » Dec 06, 2009 9:14 pm

I found myself listening more to his views on education, religion, competition, etc. than anything he said about Narnia. I don't agree with some of what he's said either but in a way I think those insights help to understand his own views on Narnia and how the films are proceeding. Just from hearing his perspective on those subjects I have a rough idea of what he might define as an unnecessary change. It doesn't bother me much.
tenthofthatname
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Glumpuddle » Dec 06, 2009 9:55 pm

it was either that or not make a movie, so i said "well go ahead and do it"

That was the bit that made me flinch. It is better to not make a movie at all than to make a bad one.

And when he said he liked the story in the book better. So it's actually a different story? LWW and PC both had the same story as the book. Most adaptations have at least that in common with the source. What could they have changed so drastically that it's not even the same story anymore? Or does Gresham mean something else when he uses that word?

Of course there are going to be some big changes. I'm ready for that. Probably necessary. But Gresham's sounding like he doesn't like the changes. Sounds like he's reluctantly going along with them.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Listen to the podcast and he sounds more positive about it all. Although, he still doesn't find many of the changes necessary. I don't understand why people complain about PC so much. The story needed to be shifted around for the movie, it was the nature of the beast. But something similar is not necessary for VDT. VDT doesn't have a myriad of flashbacks and strange romps.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Lady Galadriel » Dec 06, 2009 10:10 pm

glumPuddle wrote:And when he said he liked the story in the book better. So it's actually a different story? LWW and PC both had the same story as the book. Most adaptations have at least that in common with the source. What could they have changed so drastically that it's not even the same story anymore? Or does Gresham mean something else when he uses that word?

I'm sure it has to be the same story. "Find the seven lords," anyway. I think the question is "What drastic things happen between the beginning and end of the voyage to find them?"

I personally cannot imagine what big changes could happen...unless they drop islands or create totally new ones (and especially if those new ones were major to the story). Although I thought we were certain that

1. Eustace turns into a dragon (So surely there has to be Dragon Island?)
2. Reep's coracle sighted (Don't know about Burnt Island, but that one's minor)
3. Ramandu's daughter is there (So there should be Ramandu's Island?)
4. Coriakin is there (So there should be the Dufflepuds)
5. There's definitely the Lone Islands.

Going by what we have seen so far, it sounds to me like a lot of the main stuff is there.

GlumPuddle wrote: Of course there are going to be some big changes. I'm ready for that. Probably necessary. But Gresham's sounding like he doesn't like the changes. Sounds like he's reluctantly going along with them.

Now that scares me... :-s :-ss Although the podcast apparently sounds better than reading the quotes does.

P.S. My 100th post...I finally reached Narniaweb Nut status! :ymparty: ha ha
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby tenthofthatname » Dec 06, 2009 11:36 pm

I want to believe Gresham says the book is a better story by virtue of the fact that he doesn't think the books need to be improved upon. Changing elements to fit film format is one thing, adding elements to embellish the story or "make it more engaging" is arguable. Except if that was how he felt I wonder why we didn't hear him say anything similar about PC, especially with the addition of Susan and Caspian's attraction. It's possible he was being more candid in the podast and the books being better stories is a general statement.
tenthofthatname
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby GlimGlum » Dec 07, 2009 12:11 am

glumPuddle wrote:it was either that or not make a movie, so i said "well go ahead and do it"

That was the bit that made me flinch. It is better to not make a movie at all than to make a bad one.

Of course there are going to be some big changes. I'm ready for that. Probably necessary. But Gresham's sounding like he doesn't like the changes. Sounds like he's reluctantly going along with them.

I feel for Douglas Gresham. :ymhug: On the one hand, it seems as though he preferred VDT to be as close to the book as the fans would like it to be. But on the other hand, it would not be made at all. =;

I think that if the story were changed in too radical a way, Douglas Gresham would have said "forget it". If they had gutted the book or changed it more than 50%, I would not want it made either.

But to look at some positives, we do know from casting that all the major characters are there (albeit with Rhince and Rynelf switched). Also, Lady Galadriel pointed out in a previous post some of the story lines that are sure to be there; most probably will be though with some details changed here and there.

It would seem to me that the main concern is that movie VDT will be a bad story more than it will be a bad movie. Some changes we may like and others not. If most of the story is there but just rearranged and with a few elements added and some subtracted, I personally would still want that movie to be made than none at all. :ymapplause:
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Lirenel » Dec 07, 2009 8:06 am

Just a thought: it's also possible that Gresham is just being human and he liked VODT (the book) more than he liked PC (the book). I find I'm more willing to accept changes in books like PC that I never had much attachment to, than I would have for LWW or HHB. So he might havve let the changes in PC slide through without much thought, but he's more of a purist when it comes to VODT, and so the changes he would have considered minor if they had been done in PC are major to him in VODT. Something like that.

Or it could even be PR. A lot of people have given Gresham grief for telling us not to worry about the changes in PC and letting Suspian and everything slide past him. He could just be covering himself for any changes the purist fans might not like, however minor they may be (like the MLG). Or he's feeling guilty about misleading us and wants to be a little more open about this movie.

There are a lot of options other than "they've ruined the movie". So I'm going to try and be optimistic until we know more.
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

My overview of VODT: http://lady-lirenel.livejournal.com/151965.html
Lirenel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 07, 2009 1:54 pm

I am not going to worry about the changes, however major they may be. When we were hearing about PC, I was in a slight panick over the changes we were hearing about and it got me nowhere because I ended up liking how it came out!
weather or not I like the changes in VotDT, I am glad they are making it! As Douglas Gresham has already said, it's better than no movie at all! :D

I really don't care what they change.....just my two cents!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Reepicheep775 » Dec 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Well I listened to it and, while I agree that Douglas Gresham sounds more positive over-all than my original impression, but I'm still uneasy. If there isn't any reason for the changes, one of my worst fears are realized: film-makers making changes for the heck of it. I'm not panicking just yet (I'm a hair's width away) and I'm going to wait until I see these enigmatic changes in context. That said, although I'm not panicking, consider me worried. Very worried.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby arabesque » Dec 07, 2009 5:18 pm

Woodland banquet sounds a bit to me like an ending perhaps to the film? A wedding and then a big banquet? It could work. :)
Avatar and siggy by lover of narnia!
arabesque
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Basileus Peter Pevensie » Dec 07, 2009 7:07 pm

The interview with Mr. Gresham is very interesting. I'm happy that he had emphazied on the question about the compliance between the movies and the books, it is really important. What Mr. Gresham says gives me the hope, that SC will be the next movie :) .
Basileus Peter Pevensie
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext