This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Music for VDT: How Important?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

How important do you think that the music for VDT will be?

1. Extremely important
68%
2. Very important
27%
3. Important
5%
4. Not that important
No votes
5. Other – Please explain
No votes

Total votes : 37

Music for VDT: How Important?

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 23, 2009 11:13 pm

I was thinking about VDT and how important a role the music could play(double meaning there :D). Just imagine the Dawn Treader sailing on the open sea and the music that could enhance or elevate that moment.

As an adventure and seagoing story too, I am sure that a soaring score would lift the movie as a whole, even if it were great already without music it will be that much greater with it. I am sure the more quiet scenes and new character themes will be significant as well.

I just have a feeling that the music for VDT may be more important than the first 2 films. What do you think, fellow NarniaWebbers? Thanks for your votes and comments. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Re: Music for VDT: How Important?

Postby TheGeneral » Nov 24, 2009 1:20 pm

I agree with ya, I think the music will be very important for VDT. To me, the soundtrack is as important as the casting of a central character. I'm hoping it'll have a little more depth and originality than PC did (it was good, but too much taken from LWW). I hope David Arnold does a good job.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Nov 24, 2009 1:48 pm

I think it will be very important! it has to be, especially since it's a ship on the open sea! any movie like that needs epic, dramatic music behind it! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Basileus Peter Pevensie » Nov 24, 2009 6:04 pm

In my opinion it's very important. For exemple I will be happy if they preseve the original theme in the beginning. It sounds very majestic and contributes to the movie atmosphere. The soundtrack as a whole has a very important significance, because we could say, that it has direct influence on the spectators :) .
Basileus Peter Pevensie
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Adeona » Nov 24, 2009 6:33 pm

I voted "Very Important" because I feel that good music is very critical for setting the tone and feel of every scene. But it is not so critical that it exceeds the importance of beautiful sets and props, or well chosen locations.

For VDT, I really want a few "Musical bridges" to LWW and PC; Reepicheep's theme could be one; it is so cute! And it would be really neat if they use the music from when the children first arrived in Narnia in LWW and PC for when they land in the ocean. I can picture a sweeping panorama of the Dawn Treader, gleaming in the sun, sailing over to pluck them from the sea!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 24, 2009 8:18 pm

I think it will be "very important". Music is a big key in any movie but it will be more so in VDT because of the change of mood that it has. Very interested am I in seeing how the new composer will still tie the music to the other Narnia movies so we know it's Narnia but also make it so that the sea adventure come through.

Music also has a role in writing moods on our heart that cannot be brought forth any other way. For instance, there is the scene where the birds come flying from the sun and eat up all the food. It was described as the most exiting moment. There is no action in this scene so the only way to make it the most exiting moment would be to have the proper music attached to it.
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lady Galadriel » Nov 24, 2009 9:42 pm

The General wrote: I'm hoping it'll have a little more depth and originality than PC did (it was good, but too much taken from LWW).

For certain. The neat thing, though, is that PC is the return to Narnia, so it uses the themes that were new in LWW, twists them, and gives them different meanings. VDT has a whole new feel, it is the book based on the high seas and the first one not set in Narnia, so it needs refreshing originality (although I think it still needs to keep a sense of continuity, such as keeping the main themes).

GlimGlum wrote:Just imagine the Dawn Treader sailing on the open sea and the music that could enhance or elevate that moment. As an adventure and seagoing story too, I am sure that a soaring score would lift the movie as a whole, even if it were great already without music it will be that much greater with it.

Watziznehm wrote:I think it will be "very important". Music is a big key in any movie but it will be more so in VDT because of the change of mood that it has. Very interested am I in seeing how the new composer will still tie the music to the other Narnia movies so we know it's Narnia but also make it so that the sea adventure come through.

Music also has a role in writing moods on out heart that cannot be brought forth any other way. For instance, there is the scene where the birds come flying from the sun and eat up all the food. It was described as the most exiting moment. There is no action in this scene so the only way to make it the most exiting moment would be to have the proper music attached to it.

Indeed! A lot of battle scenes in fantasy movies would be a lot less "epic" if not for the music. Several music pieces in the PC soundtrack come to mind. "Raid on the Castle" has a metallic feel to it, you get yourself caught up in the excitement. "Return of the Lion" is heroic, the obvious song of a returning hero. "The Battle" is exciting like "Raid on the Castle", but doesn't have quite as dark or foreboding of a feel.

As you can probably tell if you are reading this, I find a hard time describing emotions that come with the music.

Essentially, I say that the music is "very important," although perhaps not any more important for this one than it was for either of the previous two.
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby greenbird37 » Nov 24, 2009 9:51 pm

I chose extremely important! Music will play a pivotal role in this film as in the other two films. It adds to the mystical and atmosphere of every scene. I cannot imagine the other two films without music. I love the original theme, it fits so perfectly. The music that they had for Repicheep, fit perfectly.

Music is a very important part of the films, we bring ourselves into the movie with it...so magical!! :)
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Basileus Peter Pevensie » Nov 25, 2009 6:57 pm

I agree. For example let's take "The battle". It's very beautiful to see the majestic phoenix in the air and then the mighty Narnian army. But when you are listening to the melodious and charming sounds of this music...you feel, that you are already on the battlefield ;) .
Basileus Peter Pevensie
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Nov 26, 2009 8:37 pm

yes, I think that music is needed greatly in any movie! without it, there is a sort of dull feeling. the music brings you the imotion and the feel for each part of the story that you would never get if there was no music! I have seen several movies that had very little music in them and they were rather dull! music is both beautiful and assential to a movie, especially Narnia! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Basileus Peter Pevensie » Nov 27, 2009 7:05 pm

I agree :) . The old motivres are very important for me. But in VDT I expect to see more new themes about the new characters.
Basileus Peter Pevensie
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby pogginfan » Nov 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Very important. For me, music can really make a movie. And since VDT is such an emotionally driven story, I think that the music will play a pivotal part in the movie.
It will help show the character's thoughts and feelings, build up tension in the scenes that need it, and help character arcs along. I would say that the music in VDT is more vital than in LWW and PC because the character's and their emotions are the real drive.
What I want to hear is the themes. The Caspian theme in PC was never clear enough, I want to hear more of it in VDT. :) And I simply can't wait to hear the Dawn Treader's theme!! :D

Avy by ValiantArcher, sig by hyaline12. Thank you!
pogginfan
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lion's Emblem » Nov 27, 2009 10:16 pm

The music is essential. You never quite realise just how important music is to a movie until you change the tone of the score or remove it completely from a scene. Music really helps to pull in an audience's emotions and react to what they are seeing. Certain scenes are more effective without sound at all, but there are a lot of moments in VDT where the right score will really set the scene. Hopefully there are more themes that are character based, as others have already stated. Could be quite interesting to have a theme for Eustace that transforms as he does through the story. It might also be nice to have previous themes tweaked just for VDT, such as the theme for the Pevensies, the Narnian battle scores, and a bit of Telmarine flair, all having a bit of seafaring taste to them. I'm not really sure how this could be accomplished, not being a music genius, but it might be interesting to hear a take on it. A voyage theme for the VDT is a must as well. From what I've seen visually for VDT, I am quite please and I hope that the audio side has the same impact.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Narnia4Ever9 » Nov 29, 2009 4:51 pm

I think that music will be very important for VDT! Music really adds to the mood and what the audience thinks about different scenes. I hope that the same "Narnia" theme is continued from the first two movies, as well as a theme for each of the lone islands or each of the 7 lords.
~Narnia4Ever9

Av. by Lucy P. & Sig by Flambeau
Thank you both!!
Narnia4Ever9
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lucy P. » Nov 30, 2009 11:09 am

A good movie is a blend of all sorts of crafts (writing, painting, photography, music, acting, etc.) making a poetic argument. If one of those elements is faulty (e.g., the acting is terrible or the film makes an argument for a bad idea) then the movie cannot be really good.

Lion's Emblem has given a good explanation of how music is important to a movie. It's one of those arts that can't be lacking in a film, so I voted "extremely important".
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian_at_heart » Nov 30, 2009 7:05 pm

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lyndalybeck3

I think that is a terrific song for the movie. Click on the link and scroll down to the last song which is called "Maiden Voyage". You can hear a clip from it.

You can also hear a clip of the song on iTunes if you search Hearts and Hands: Maiden Voyage" it's the first song on the list.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Next