This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

House of Harfang

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

House of Harfang

Postby EelStew » Nov 03, 2009 2:14 pm

I have been wondering where they will film the part in the silver chair where the three stay at the House of Harfang. I looked around the web at various places, and found this location (Mehrangarh Fort) to be a good place to film. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehrangarh_Fort

Post any ideas of what you think should be the house of harfang.
Thoughts? Comments?
I want to see what you all have to say.
EelStew
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: House of Harfang

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 03, 2009 2:44 pm

My first thoughts on this was the fort doesn't have enough windows. In the book the travelers were able to see a myriad of windows shining out light. Furthermore, the house of Harfang shouldn't look like a castle but a gigantic mansion. The giants of Harfang feared no attack and therefore didn't shut themselves up in fortifications but a comfortable abode. Harfang should show the sophistication of the giants that live there. It should therefore be decorated to some degree. However, it should still have a touch to crudeness to it, making a distinct difference between the ancient giants and themselves. The ancient giants were quite simply geniuses therefore their architecture could compete with the best masons of all time! The ruins should show this fact.
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby icarus » Nov 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Well i would imagine they would mostly film such scenes using miniatures, CGI and indoor sets as they did for Miraz's castle in Prince Caspian, but as for a general guide for the look of the castle, i would probably go for something of an Eastern European sort of style castle, suitable for the cold weather environment of Ettinsmoor/The Wild Waste Lands. Not as blocky and fortressy as the one you suggested. Something more ornate, possibly a Bavarian castle, but i wouldnt want it to end up being too Harry Potter like though. Perhaps this one from the Czech Republic.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby EelStew » Nov 03, 2009 3:03 pm

I think the place in the BBC version of SC was perfect! If only they hadn't used it. I suppose they could use it again, but that wouldn't be right.

Sorry I can't find a picture anywhere :(
EelStew
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby NaiadWaker » Nov 11, 2009 12:03 pm

I agree with you, EelStew. (BTW, love your username!!!!)
I did like the set in BBC SC.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TheGeneral » Nov 12, 2009 8:34 pm

I always pictured it like a huge castle that was kinda long:
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Nov 12, 2009 9:51 pm

EelStew wrote:I think the place in the BBC version of SC was perfect! If only they hadn't used it. I suppose they could use it again, but that wouldn't be right.

I have some photos of it but my scanner doesn't work.
It's called Haddon Hall, and it's in Derbyshire.
If you saw the recent Jane Eyre miniseries (in which Georgie played young Jane), you will have seen it as the house of Mr Rochester.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Bother Eustace » Nov 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Wow, I love that building icarus posted a picture of: the one from the Czech Republic. That's almost exactly how I always imagined Harfang. Of course, I doubt they'll actually film a real castle for Harfang; they'll probably use miniatures, CGI, and custom built sets.
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie