This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Light: VDT

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

The Light: VDT

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Nov 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Towards the end of the Dawn Treader's voyage the travellers are coming closer and closer to the sun. Everything is getting brighter and brighter. I'm wondering how this is going to translate in film. Are they going to omit the idea entirely, or keep it in? How should they keep it in?

My idea was that in the first stages on the film everything could be a shade or two darker than usual. Then as the voyage goes on and the travelers begin to near the end of the world everything could start becoming brighter; more saturated with color, more rich. Imperceptible, something that would be happening so slowly that you wouldn't realize it at first, but then you look back on the film and realize what the filmmakers were doing.

What do you think? Would this be a good plan to add to the general feel and excitement at the end of the world?
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Re: The Light: VDT

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 01, 2009 9:11 pm

Like I said on another thread I think that the filters they use will make a difference. If they use a "brighter" filter in this part of the voyage that the rest of the film then it could work quite well.

Will the film makers try to make this part look brighter? I have no idea, but I think it very likely. Which is to say, the Dawn Treader is sailing into the sun so if they didn't make it look brighter somehow it wouldn't look right.
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby 7chronicles » Nov 02, 2009 12:33 am

Along with the Light I think there should be a sort of clearness to everything. Sometimes if the light is to bright it's hard to make out what your looking at. So maybe the scene could be a little lighter but with such a clarity and richness of color that it appears brighter then what it would look like if they just made the scene brighter in lighting only. :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Nov 02, 2009 4:47 am

I think it should be similar to the contrast of a ship breaking through the ice in the South Pole, except with a summery look.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Nov 02, 2009 5:59 am

everything definitely needs to be crisp though...by that I mean with being able to see every detail. The light doesn't create this white haze, it just intensifies everything.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Nov 02, 2009 5:31 pm

I didn't word it very well but that's what I mean, yes. The details intensify and there is a refreshing air to the whole moment.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm

@Warrior 4 Jesus: Do you mean a snow-type brightness rather than a sunshine-y brightness, then? That would be interesting. Cause in the winter, It's generally cloudy, yet everything is bright because the snow casts a light of its own.

It would be interesting if they did a similar effect with the Silver Sea.
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Nov 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Gosh, I'm not doing too well explaining myself. Yes, thanks, that's exactly what I mean - a snow-type brightness (but summer-like weather of course).
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Hey, that would be cool. a winter like brightness with summer weather. You would definitely know you were at the end of the world then because it sort of symbolizes a place without seasons. A place like the end of world maybe?
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 03, 2009 5:55 pm

Very good topic! One aspect of this that goes hand in hand with the light is the size of the Sun. The crew thinks it is getting larger as they travel eastward but then there is a moment when they are sure that it is larger.

Perhaps if they incorporate both the Sun getting larger and therefore the light more intense as this happens. Maybe because both phenomena both happen together, the size of the sun and the increased light will be balanced out somehow. (Hope that makes sense.) :D
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Nov 04, 2009 2:21 pm

hmmm.....
It would be cool if the sun was so bright that you couldn't see the sky, or if it was so bright you couldn't se the sky or water!
I hope this part comes out well in the movie!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Bookwyrm » Nov 04, 2009 2:22 pm

If it was that bright, you wouldn't be able to see anything at all and the characters would go blind.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby decarus » Nov 04, 2009 3:32 pm

I think making the sun seem larger is what is important. They don't have to make it really bright.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Nov 06, 2009 1:40 am

Booky, in the novel it says they were able to bear the light because they had been drinking the water and it had made them stronger.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Nov 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Hmmm. I'd almost forgotten about the sun getting larger. That will definitely be important. Like GlimGlum said, it would be very neat if the light increased in proportion to the size of the sun.

Also, I don't think that the movie lighting should become perceptibly bright, or more saturated, or more rich, until they reach Ramandu's Island. That should be the point where the light starts to change. I think that it would be a good idea if the light changed enough that the audience would really notice (after a while) that the colors were brighter than before, not just people looking for the brightness.

Booky wrote:If it was that bright, you wouldn't be able to see anything at all and the characters would go blind.

;))

That's why the beginning of the movie would be darker. So that the audience wouldn't be blinded when things started brightening up! :P
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby decarus » Nov 08, 2009 7:12 pm

I don't think that it is likely that they will make the light blinding. Just making the sun larger and more in their view is all that is necessary.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru