This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Most Disliked Quotes

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Most Disliked Quotes

Postby aragorn2 » Nov 02, 2012 7:20 am

90% of the lines in VDT
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Glumpuddle » Nov 13, 2012 10:46 am

"But the hope that you have brought, your majesties, is finally starting to weaken the Witch's power." --Father Christmas

Makes the kids the heroes, and Aslan less important. This is the reason that Aslan's death is just "aww poor lion" instead of the absolute despair you feel in the book. In the book, Aslan is not just a cool lion... he's Narnia's only hope. In the movie, he's just a cool lion.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby mm1991 » Nov 15, 2012 9:45 pm

aragorn2 wrote:90% of the lines in VDT

Every piece of dialogue spoken in VDT. [-(
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby aragorn2 » Feb 03, 2013 1:58 pm

"Just because some man in a red coat hands you a sword it doesn't make you a hero! Just drop it!"

"That explains it then, your mistaken!"

"You might need to call me again."
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Feb 05, 2013 11:12 am

"You might need to call me again."

It's the absolute worst. Now I laugh it really hard every time I hear it instead of cringe.

"It would've never worked between us anyway."

I was still hoping Caspian would've said. "Keep telling yourself that darling." A total POTC rip off :p

"I can change forms."

Liliandil No! =)) At first I just thought she had a sense of humor but watching the delivery of the line again, oh wow. I wish she could've just blushed at Caspian's comment and he would've brought up the Sleeping Beauty story up with her. :ymblushing:
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wild rose » Feb 09, 2013 3:56 am

DamselJillPole wrote:
"I can change forms."

Liliandil No! =)) At first I just thought she had a sense of humor but watching the delivery of the line again, oh wow. I wish she could've just blushed at Caspian's comment and he would've brought up the Sleeping Beauty story up with her. :ymblushing:

I hate that line too, it just sounds strange :p

"you are a star, you are most beautiful

I can't stand that line, it's cheesy and silly and I can't think why they couldn't have come up with some other, more romantic way to tell her that she's beautiful

actually, I generally tend to hate most of the dialogue in VDT :p no offense, but I think they could have done better with the script :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Eustace » Feb 19, 2013 5:22 pm

I know this not an exact quote but(the conversation between Eustace and the rest after he is turned back from being a dragon) I found it very annoying:

Eustace: I am sorry I must have been a horrible pig to you guys.

(Or something like that, it's been a while.)

Edmund: It's okay, you were a pretty good dragon.

(What? This was my favorite conversation in the VDT book and they totally ruined it. Edmund is suppose to telling Eustace that he was worse the first time he went to Narnia.)
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waterkid72 » Feb 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Eustace wrote:I know this not an exact quote but(the conversation between Eustace and the rest after he is turned back from being a dragon) I found it very annoying:

Eustace: I am sorry I must have been a horrible pig to you guys.

(Or something like that, it's been a while.)

Edmund: It's okay, you were a pretty good dragon.

(What? This was my favorite conversation in the VDT book and they totally ruined it. Edmund is suppose to telling Eustace that he was worse the first time he went to Narnia.)

The conversation in the book is between Edmund and Eustace, and its a private talk. The thing is that with the others there, the scene would have lost its sense of intimacy from the book, which in my opinion would have ruined the scene. I admit the conversation could have been handled better in the film, it just does not feel as powerful as in the book.
"Through vigilance and strength we create peace."

I just want to be hidden in the shadows... this silence; this cold.
waterkid72
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 14, 2014 11:34 pm

There are quite a few, but the one that often sticks out my mind is Ramandu's Daughter's explanation about the sleeping lords in VDT. (I would quote it, but I can't find it on the internet and I don't particularly want to watch the film again in order to write it down. :P) The wording was so lovely in the book, and they completely rewrote every last bit of it for no good reason. It felt like such an unnecessary and criminal change. [-(
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Ryadian » Jul 15, 2014 9:58 am

glumPuddle wrote:Image

Oh, I so heartily ditto this. ;)) The dialogue is bad enough on its own, without even considering the kind of butchering they did to Coriakin's character....

Andriel wrote:One of my most disliked quotes is from Prince Caspian:

"Whether this horn is magical or not........." ~Prince Caspian

I don't no why, it just strikes me as annoying. :-\

Personally, that quote bothered me because it seemed to have the same idea as a lot of the rest of the film--that the point was "We can do anything if we come together!" Just like they didn't really "need" Aslan until the end (according to the movie), it didn't really matter whether or not the magic of the Horn would bring help, it only mattered that we're all united against the Telmarines, blah blah blah! Also, once again, we're denied a chance to see a glimmer of Caspian having any faith in the old stories--he doesn't care if Susan the Gentle's Horn actually worked, he's got his army already!

No, I'm not bitter!

There are a lot of really good ones in here (especially "BRACE YOURSEEEEEEELVES")--and, admittedly, I haven't seen Voyage of the Dawn Treader since it was in theaters (we own the DVD, which hasn't even left its shrink wrapping ;)) ), so I may be forgetting a few "gems". But, as for lines that haven't already been said, here's one that has always gotten on my nerves:

Aslan, LWW wrote:There is a Deep Magic more powerful than us that rules over all of Narnia. It defines right and wrong and governs all our destinies, yours... and mine."

No. Nuh-uh. You're not playing a Jedi anymore; the Deep Magic is NOT the Force. It's not fate, either. And when in the books did they EVER describe it as "defining right and wrong"!? Even if you don't want to look into the symbolism of the Deep Magic and the Emperor Over The Sea, pleas at least do us the favor of not cheapening the Deep Magic and, instead of being elusive and mysterious, reduce it to a couple of sentences of "this is a fantasy world, therefore there is fate".

Bothered me when I watched in the theater, has bothered me ever since. Yes, I know this is kind of a mild one compared to some of the cringe-worthy dialogue we've gotten in these movies, but still.... /:)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby aileth » Jul 15, 2014 11:58 am

In some ways, it's as much what they left out. Sure, there are a lot of corny and inaccurate ones, but I do understand why it mightn't sound right to say "Jolly good form" and "Right-o" and such anymore. However, there is no substitute for Caspian's weary, "Bother Eustace!" Succinct and expressive. What modern phrase could you replace it with that would get the same idea across?

"BRAAACCCEEE YOOOUUURRRSEEELLLVVVESSS!" is much more enjoyable now, after having heard Anna and the others making fun of it on the commentary. Same thing with the "Did you kill my father?" line. Do you remember that Ben Barnes pointed out that he thought of the same thing--Princess Bride and, to make it worse, in this fake Spanish accent?
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Skilletdude » Sep 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Ryadian wrote:But, as for lines that haven't already been said, here's one that has always gotten on my nerves:

Aslan, LWW wrote:There is a Deep Magic more powerful than us that rules over all of Narnia. It defines right and wrong and governs all our destinies, yours... and mine."

I can understand the frustration with that line, I also think the wording of it is sloppy. But at the same time, isn't the sacrifice Aslan chooses to take on himself required by the Deep Magic? As the Witch says, "Aslan knows that unless I have blood as the law demands, all of Narnia will be overturned and perish in fire and water."

Here's mine:

Maugrim: You may think you're a king, but you're going to die...like a dog!
-Cheesy, and it doesn't make Maugrim scary or menacing, just silly.

Peter: Are you with me?
Oreius: To the death
-Cliche. Can't even remember how many times I've heard lines like this in other movies.

Doctor Cornelius: Everything you know is about to change.
-Again, super cliche. Sounds like it came right out of a movie trailer. Actually, it could have been in the PC trailer.
Mary Jane: You know, you're taller than you look.
Peter: I hunch.
Mary Jane: Don't.
Skilletdude
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Ryadian » Oct 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Skilletdude wrote:
Ryadian wrote:But, as for lines that haven't already been said, here's one that has always gotten on my nerves:

I can understand the frustration with that line, I also think the wording of it is sloppy. But at the same time, isn't the sacrifice Aslan chooses to take on himself required by the Deep Magic? As the Witch says, "Aslan knows that unless I have blood as the law demands, all of Narnia will be overturned and perish in fire and water."

Yeah, but this quote decides to take the "this is all a matter of mystical destiny" route, instead of the way the book goes--that Aslan chose to appease the Deep Magic by sacrificing himself. I suppose you could argue that it was Aslan's "destiny" in the sense that he/the Emperor-beyond-the-Sea knew how this was going to play out (Aslan refers to it in The Magician's Nephew), but... I feel like this line so utterly missed the point. I know that, in terms of bad writing and departures from the book, there are lines which are far, far worse... but that's the one that has bothered me the longest, so yeah. ;))
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Golg » Apr 22, 2015 12:34 am

From LLW (only a few):

"FOR NARNIA!" I wouldn't have disliked it at all if they didn't over use it in the following films.

The "sweeties" line from Jadis. It's not the line itself, it's actually brilliant to illustrate what Edmund has done, but it's just the choice of the word "sweeties". It isn't something that I think would come out of Jadis's mouth. I though of it as more weird than altogether bad.

From PC:

"Deed you keel my fadder?"

"...Galma pledges its troops... Tashbaan pledges its troops... Ettinsmoor pledges its troops." Don't get me wrong, Miraz's coronation might be my favorite part of the film. But it's these technical errors that get on my nerves. These are countries or cities in different countries. With the Telmarine's accents, I can imagine that they say something like "Galva" and "Dahbahn", but Ettinsmoor is undeniably Ettinsmoor.

Any lines uttered between Susan and Caspian in the conculsion. I do not remember what they were, because I have since skipped that scene upon re-watching the film.

VDT: Just about anything written in the script that wasn't in the book. Though some of Eustace's new lines I appreciated (I strangely liked his line about impaling cousins. Yes, I'm as nutty as peanut butter).
Golg
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby the4signs[repeat] » Mar 03, 2016 10:30 pm

Mr. Beaver says, “Your brother’s got you well looked after,” when a clueless Peter realizes his little sister had to scramble out of a freezing, raging river all on her own. /:)
“You know that doesn’t really rhyme.” And any and all other lines they give to Susan in each film. 8-|
Grammatical garden or the Arbour of Accidence pleasantly open'd to Tender Wits by Puverulentus Siccus
the4signs[repeat]
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: On the balcony of my air castle... dusting the railing.

Postby Reepi » Mar 04, 2016 8:54 am

Golg wrote:From LLW (only a few):

Which movie is that? The Lion, the Lich and the wardrobe :P ?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Previous