This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What did you like about VDT?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: What did you like about VDT?

Postby Lady Courage » Jul 06, 2012 11:30 am

Eustace, beYOND a doubt! He was excellently played, though I don't think he was scripted particularly well. In fact, Will did such an amazing job, it's losing him as Eustace in the Silver Chair that makes me most sad about having to wait 7 years.

Some of the camera work was indeed lovely, and some of those locations were spectacular. The real ones, anyway... ;))

The Dawn Treader herself was... So perfect. As we watched her going up, everyone (including me!) wondered if she was going to fit correctly. I think at least half of us were worried she was too ornate. But seeing her in her full glory, on screen... Even though I'd gobbled up all the sneak pictures I could find, my breath was still stolen by her beauty.

I liked the design of the sea serpent too. I didn't love it, but it was kinda cool. :P And creepy. Since it was so terrifying in the book, I didn't mind them giving it a terrifying look.

I liked that they ditched Caspian's accent. :P It was honestly horrible, so I was glad to see it gone. XD
Sig by me | Av by Ithilwen
There is no such thing as a Painless Lesson
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby fantasia » Jul 07, 2012 9:24 am

I suspect I'm going to repeat a lot of people, but that's ok I guess. ;))

~I liked the entrance into Narnia with the room filling up with water and then the children swimming up to the surface. :)
~I loved Will Poulter as Eustace, I thought was brilliant.
~I loved the design of the Dawn Treader, herself.
~I liked many of the cinematography shots, particularly of the sailing Dawn Treader. There were several that I felt completely captured the magic and beauty of Narnia.
~I did get a kick out of the duel between Eustace and Reepicheep. ;))
~I liked the costumes. :) (Isis's work throughout all three films was amazing. I wish she had gotten more recognition for it.)
~I liked the scene at the end of the movie where the children say goodbye to Aslan and return home.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Ithilwen wrote:Hmm... I definitely liked Will Poulter's acting. And the end credits were sweet, with Pauline Baynes' lovely illustrations. :)

Yes, I forgot to mention both of those! Will did a great job to go from the annoying brat, through small changes (I remember noticing his first genuine smile, not sure who he smiled to, possibly Reepicheep) to become a likeable person.

And Pauline Baynes' illustrations - they are so much part of the total Narnian experience. While they have changed the covers, they have never had anyone draw new illustrations to use along the text. And to include those illustrations in the credits - I wish they had done that in the first movies as well.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby jesus-aslan freak » Jul 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Finally, something positive! I loved the film when I saw it for the first time, and I still love it! It's my fourth or fifth favorite film. Actually, I am disappointed with the changes that they made, but despite that, I think that the heart and themes and overall feel of the book were still there. Its story did derive a lot from the book, and it felt a little different from the other movies, but I still love it.
1. The ship was magnificent. It was just like I imagined it in the book.
2. The set, I loved the church scene, the Lone Islands, Dragon Island, all the islands really, and the end of the world.
3. I loved how they moved the Sea Serpent to the end. I know some of you didn't like that. But, I also liked how they combined Dark Island, the Sea Serpent, and the character's struggles.
4. The ending was very emotional and Lucy's face at the end and Eustace's line almost made me cry.
5. Speaking of Georgie and Will, they were so good!
6. The dragon did look cool, and I thought that they did a good job with the relationship between Eustace and Reepicheep (to tell you the truth I thought he was awesome in Prince Caspian as well).
7. I know many of you hate this, but I liked how they added the mist, it was a good touch. It is different from the book, but what may be good for a book, may not necessarily be good for a movie. Especially one in a series that was hanging by a thread. I was disappointed too, but I must say, I like how they were setting up for The Silver Chair and how they connected all of the temptations, and how it gave it more of a "thrust" as the director said. There are little details that they changed which caused it to skip over some concepts that CS Lewis put in there for a reason. However, otherwise I loved the film. The first and second films are like my favorites. Thanks for the positive thread. I was getting a little tired of all the negative comments. :)
For Aslan!
jesus-aslan freak
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby parableproductions » Jul 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Actually, I like VDT. It isn't perfect, but IMO it was far better than PC - you don't have to agree with me - but PC is the movie that makes me cringe.

What I really like about this movie is:

Yes, Will is great as Eustace. He has one of my favorite lines from all the movies - it's been a few months since I've watched it but it's something like, "note to self, look up the legal ramifications of impaling your cousins." That was a GOOD addition to the dialog! And I know just how he feels - although not about my cousins. :D

I mostly like Reep in this film - he really got on my nerves in PC.

I like the sword fight between Edmund & Caspian - they just look like they are having so much fun - especially Edmund.

If we had to have an appearance of Jadis - I'm really glad that it was on nightmare island - I can see her being Edmund's nightmare.

I thought the friendship between Reep and Eustace was VERY well done!

I love that they included the "I have another name" in this film - although it wasn't as powerful as it would have been if Aslan had had more screen time. But, still - love that it is included.
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Jul 25, 2012 2:58 pm

I liked a lot of the visual effects, gorgeous. I can't believe it's been a year now since I've seen the movie so I'm trying to think up everything that can possibly remember.

Will Poulter was genius with portraying Eustace, either he was already a huge fan or studied the character very good. His performance still blows me away.

The Dawn Treader ship, everything and every detail about the ship is amazingly beautiful.

The Magician's Island, very quirky but I still love the set. I love how different it was very imaginative.

Aslan's Country I thought was done amazing too.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glumpuddle » Jul 26, 2012 10:45 am

This shot.

For about 10 seconds, I really felt like I was seeing the iconic Dawn Treader, purple sail and all, come to life, sailing east towards adventure. What a thrill! Easily the best moment in the movie.

Excellent job with the effects. I have seen the shot multiple times in theaters and on Blu-ray and it still looks completely real.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Anhun » Aug 01, 2012 2:44 pm

What I love about the Dawn Treader film was how it enhanced my enjoyment of the book. I remember rereading the book a week or two after seeing the film. As I read, I had the gorgeous settings, as well as spot-on performances by Ben Barnes, Will Poulter and various supporting cast members playing out in my head. The fact that I had to adjust the mental scenes to accommodate the differences in plot and dialogue only made it more interesting.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Linden » Sep 09, 2012 1:12 pm

I just rewatched VDT for the first time since I saw it in theatres. And even though I haven't posted on NarniaWeb in literally years, I needed to talk to someone about it. And here you all are still, true Narnian fans. :ymhug:

I still think it's a poor movie and a terrible adaptation. But, there were definitely some things I appreciated about it.

Eustace: I think he can be a little over the top sometimes, but Will managed a rather convincing over the top. He's just so earnest in his performance. Eustace turns out being a sympathetic and likeable character for the most part.

Eustace and Reepicheep's Friendship: I think they captured the dynamics of their friendship in the movie, and it's incredibly sweet. The moment when Eustace the dragon is crying (looking a lot like Pauline Bayne's illustration) and Reepicheep comes over to comfort him just felt like the book to me.

Costumes: I really like them, especially Lucy's. They look so comfortable. My sister keeps trying to get me to commit to dressing up when we finally go to Comic-Con, but I couldn't think of any character I loved enough to dress up as who doesn't wear a dress (I'm sort of prejudiced against them :p). I might just go as Lucy from VDT. :)

Edmund's Torch: I think it was a really cute idea for Caspian to save it and store it with the royal treasures, as if he thought it was Edmund's gift from Father Christmas. :)

The Dufflepuds: The character designs were passable, but not realistic-looking enough for me. BUT, their personalities were pretty much spot-on. I loved most of their dialogue. Like when Lucy asks why the Dufflepuds didn't just go read the Magician's Book themselves, and they say, "We can't read." "Or write." *longer gap of time* "Or add."

The Snow: I liked it, okay? It was pretty and made me think of Lucy and her first time in Narnia. It was a nostalgic moment for Lucy and me. :p Also, the CG was really good for the transformation from Lucy to Susan, but I'm not so sure I like that change.

The Silver Sea: So, the scene's not long at all, but it sure is pretty and fairly accurate. I wish the lilies looked more alive, but they're gorgeous anyway.

The Journey's End and Lucy's Bedroom: This whole section is without a doubt the best part of the movie. I'm not keen on Caspian's inclusion, but ignoring that, I absolutely love it. Reepicheep's departure is unexpectedly touching (I've never been a fan of Reepicheep. Sorry). The dialogue is actually decent-ish for most of it and actually attempts to stay true to the book for some reason. It's Georgie's finest acting moment in the movie. For me, it was the first time she actually seemed natural, the way she does in LWW. After Edmund gives Aslan a formal bow, the way Lucy just marches up to Aslan and hugs him. Just, ugh! :(( I cry. :ymblushing:

And then there's my favorite scene of all. After the transition to the bedroom, I love how you actually get a moment to soak it all in with the characters. You watch the water recede all the way into the painting. You know what the characters are feeling, even though they're not saying anything. Arnold's bittersweet music in this scene is the best he wrote for the movie. Eustace's narration is lovely. Eustace gets up and reverently hangs the painting back on the wall. And then they all get up and leave the room, looking wistfullly at the painting. Lucy last of all. And she closes the door on that section of their lives. :( I think that scene really provides closure for Lucy and Edmund.

I know after writing ALL of that, it might seem like I actually like the movie. I assure you, I do not. However, I do like the very very end.
Linden
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnia fan 7 » Oct 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Well this will be hard LOL but I'll give it a try

I like the look and design of the Dawn Treader :-bd

I also like Will Poulter as Eustace

I really like the The painting, and the entry into Narnia

and I like the end the The farewell scene and the Pauline Baynes' illustrations in the end credits
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Eustace » Nov 01, 2012 3:17 pm

1. Most of the shots of the Dawn Treader were really incredible.
2. The look of the Islands was very creative and I love Ramandu's Island.
3. Eustace was awesome. Maybe even better than I pictured him.
4. I love the Dufflepuds too. I wish we saw more of them.
5. The Magician's Book
6. The Credits

This is all I could think of at the moment.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Purpleotter » Nov 26, 2012 7:02 pm

What did I like about VDT? I enjoyed the scene where they drink from the water
"Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen of Narnia"-Aslan
Purpleotter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wild rose » Feb 03, 2013 9:53 am

I liked Eustace, and the way Will Poulter portrayed him
I liked the Dawn Treader herself and the way she was made
I liked the beginning scene when the water fills the room very much, probably my favorite scene in the whole movie
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby aragorn2 » Feb 03, 2013 1:43 pm

I think that VDT was a terrible adaptation and a rather mediocre film.
But there are some that I did like.
1.The Dawn Treader: just how I imagined it.

2.Will Poulter: Easily one of the best parts in the movie, so funny and true to the book.

3.The Sea Serpent Battle: Genuinely exciting, and well executed for the most part.

The Ending: While I still have some mixed feeling as far as Aslan's dialogue with Reep, I still think they perfectly captured the mood of the book's last chapter.
And it was the ending that got me to forgive the movies faults on my first viewing. But sadly later with repeated viewings I realized just how bad it was :(
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous