This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

VDT -One Year Later

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

How has your opinion of VDT changed over the past year?

Poll ended at Jan 10, 2013 12:46 pm

I didn't like it then, and I still don't like it now.
35%
I didn't like it then, but now I'm neutral.
2%
I didn't like it then, but now I do.
No votes
I was indifferent before but now I don't like it.
8%
I was indifferent before and I'm still neutral.
2%
I was indifferent before but now I like it.
4%
I liked it then, but now I don't.
2%
I liked it then, but now I'm neutral.
19%
I liked it then and I still like it.
29%

Total votes : 52

Re: VDT -One Year Later

Postby wolfloversk » Jul 04, 2012 7:48 pm

The dialogue's easier to swallow nowadays. I'm looking at it more favorably as time goes on, but I don't think it'll ever be up to PC or LWW standards
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 06, 2012 12:05 am

I really don't like it now! It just was not the Narnia I loved!
They took what was probably the easiest of the series to adapted and made it something completely different!
Their was just no heart, no sense of adventure! Everything that made the story so loved and memorable, wasn't there!
Its weird because I feel like there is really only two Narnia movies that were made.
At least when they changed stuff in Prince Caspian they gave us a reason! But with Dawn Treader, it seemed they just didn't feel like telling that story, so they took the parts they liked and made the movie they wanted.

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jul 07, 2012 7:45 pm

I was neutral/negative after my first viewing but after seeing it several times in theaters, I came to like it. I also saw it on Blu-ray, and was excited to see it again, but I haven't seen it since that first month. -And that is probably the most telling statement of all. I find it enjoyable, but it isn't a movie that I'm aching to see very often.

To be honest, I do think it is a bad movie and a terrible adaptation. -And I don't think adapting that film would have been very hard. It would just take courage to trust what Lewis wrote. I think far more time on the filmmaker's part was spent lamenting what VDT wasn't, instead of celebrating what it was. Which leads me to the question, if you didn't like the story, then why were you the ones making it into a film?

So, with that sort of an opinion of the movie, why do I still like it? I'm not sure. I think it is the visuals more than anything. If you put the movie on mute, I think it would resemble the book a lot more. I suppose I've trained myself to enjoy the parts that were like the book and tolerate the rest. -Which is not the sort of response you want from the fan base.

I know the movie-makers have already accepted a long time ago that there will be some fans who will hate the film no matter how small the changes. I wonder if there is any way to respectfully get the idea across to them that this film actually was really sub-par?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Movie Aristotle wrote:So, with that sort of an opinion of the movie, why do I still like it? I'm not sure. I think it is the visuals more than anything. If you put the movie on mute, I think it would resemble the book a lot more.

*Badger's mouth opens and closes in a manner not dissimilar to a fish* ...Huh. Minus the scenes with the green mist, I can see how muting it would help a lot of the film--and it puts into perspective the quality of the dialogue (both in terms of moving the plot and character beats). I seriously want to go watch the movie on mute now. ;))
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Watching it on mute might be interesting. I saw it two or three times, so I might remember what was worth remembering of the dialogue - or even what might have been better - so it might be worth trying.

I liked it then - even with all its faults - but I would need to watch it again before I could tell whether I still like it.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Previous