This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Eustace vs. Reepicheep?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Eustace vs. Reepicheep?

Postby Lady Galadriel » Oct 25, 2009 8:23 pm

So the director says "Okay guys, you're laughing, you're enjoying the fight." :ymapplause:
Aha! Sounds like a combat to me! I'm so used to the book I'd have a hard time imagining the book Eustace challenging Reep to a fight, but I think maybe he'd be certain he could win anyway since the mouse is so tiny!
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Atarah » Oct 25, 2009 11:02 pm

To me, the moment where Eustace swings Reepicheep around by the tail is important. It solidifies the animosity between the two of them and makes Reepicheep's compassion for dragon-Eustace that much more poignant and touching.

Reepicheep's tail is his honor, and by swinging him around by the tail, Eustace showed blatant and utter disrespect for the Mice of Narnia (and a knight in particular), which is why Reepicheep challenged him to a duel. Fiery as he is, Reepicheep has enough self-control that something as simple as being pushed overboard would do no more than annoy him, and he would see Eustace as a nuisance, not a threat to his honor.

That said, I hope they keep the tail-swinging scene.
http://www.persecution.com
http://www.freegao.com
"Jesus, I have no name. Allow me to bear Your name." -Richard Wurmbrand
Atarah
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Oct 27, 2009 5:55 am

They have to keep the tail swinging in!!!! It would be really sad if they substituted that with pushing reep overboard. It loses the naughty boy(eustace) affect. But Eustace accepting the challenge would be a real change from his character;"I'm a pacifist". It would certainly work much better if Reep was training Eustace to fight after Eustace's encounter with Aslan and the de-dragonizing.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Narnian_Warrior » Oct 30, 2009 5:34 pm

glumPuddle wrote:
The other scene I could only see that Eustace comes up to the edge and looks over the side of the ship with a sword, I get the feeling he thinks he’s somehow forced Reepicheep into the water. Then a man with a greenscreen mouse comes over and places it on the ropes near Eustace, Eustace sees him and then they go off out of view to the centre of the ship, but I can guess what’s going on because the director (or whoever it was) is saying to the Dawn Treader crew “okay guys, you’re clapping, you’re laughing you’re enjoying the fight”.
http://www.narniaweb.com/2009/09/eustac ... k-details/

Do you think they're having Eustace push Reep overboard... instead of swinging him around by his tail?

As much as I would miss that scene in the book... This could make for a really cool moment. Eustace sneaks up... and pushes Reep over the edge. Eustace slowly looks over the edge....and then Reep suddenly pops up (having somehow been able to grab onto something instead of falling into the water) and starts chasing Eustace.

That would certainly be interesting.
Image sig by MementoMorrie
Narnian_Warrior
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby narniamouse » Nov 30, 2009 8:13 am

JadistarkilleR wrote:i would much rather that they do it the book way. something about Eustace creeping up on Reep and pushes him overboard is demeaning of Reep's ability to anticipate his enemies (specially somebody as blumbering as Eustace). Eu.

Eustace would still be creeping up on Reepicheep so it doesn't really make any difference.
Reepicheep
narniamouse
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby TheGeneral » Dec 02, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm looking forward to this scene, well any scene with reep in it :D . Doesn't really matter to me how it's done down to the detail.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnian_at_heart » Dec 02, 2009 6:36 pm

I seriously want the tale part to happen. I would be upset if they left that out. That whole scene is so funny and cute and everything. I want it to stay exactly as it is in the book.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glumpuddle » Dec 02, 2009 9:14 pm

^ I dunno. It's awesome in a book. But I don't think it would be awesome in a movie. I think it would be bizarre.

It's one of those things where, once you visualize it, it just loses what makes it cool in the book. There are a lot of little things like that in Narnia. Like Aslan holding a sword in his hand when he knights Peter. It's one thing to say it. It's another thing to visualize it.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Lucy P. » Dec 03, 2009 11:19 am

JadistarkilleR wrote:i would much rather that they do it the book way. something about Eustace creeping up on Reep and pushes him overboard is demeaning of Reep's ability to anticipate his enemies (specially somebody as blumbering as Eustace).

I rather think Reepicheep being swung around by his tail is even more demeaning, don't you?

I have to say I wouldn't be bugged if they had Eustace push him over. Swinging a small animal by the tail is something that a very small (9 yrs. at the very oldest) child might do. Eustace may look a lot younger than he really is but he's not that infantile and pushing would be more his style at 13 or 14.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Previous