This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Wording on the Pillar

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Wording on the Pillar

Postby Laura E. A. » Sep 21, 2009 7:32 pm

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in two or three of the new pics (Sep. 21) from Kerrie Gurney, it shows a closeup of a pillar-like thing on the Dawn Treader, and I can make out the words 'Grateful Hearts May' and then I think the next word is 'Be'. Does anyone know what the whole thing says?
God's hardness is kinder than the softness of man, and his compulsion is our liberation--- C.S.Lewis
Laura E. A.
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Wording on the Pillar

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 21, 2009 11:14 pm

i believe the writings graces the bottom of the mast, furthering its significance. its been tough trying to decipher it, since the calligraphy isnt exactly the easiest type to read at a great distance. (in fact its a credit to our intrepid spy reporters that they are able to capture such details)

i'm only able to post one photo at this time, but there are other photos where it shows more of the mast, even the other side.

i think this side says: "..... with grateful hearts may we give thanks...."

there also seems to be other writings/ designs decorating the bottom of the mast.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby icarus » Sep 21, 2009 11:57 pm

The most of it i've been able to decipher is "... with grateful hearts may we give thanks to the crew of the mighty...." (see Dawn Treader Ship Thread).

Doubt we will get to see any more of it, unless they flip the ship around (or we get some spy photos taken from the water. lol).
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Bother Eustace » Sep 22, 2009 1:42 pm

Hm... "crew of the mighty" what? It can't be talking about the Dawn Treader, they wouldn't be thanking themselves. Maybe they gave a name to the Galmian ship that the Lost Lords took on their expedition? :-?
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 24, 2009 4:47 pm

They could be thanking the crew of the Dawn Treader. Perhaps Caspian wrote it for the crew, using the Royal "we" of course.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Laura E. A. » Oct 02, 2009 2:04 pm

I wish it said something more like: With Grateful Hearts We Thank Aslan, or something like that, but, oh well. Thanks, ya'll!
God's hardness is kinder than the softness of man, and his compulsion is our liberation--- C.S.Lewis
Laura E. A.
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lava » Oct 06, 2009 10:54 pm

Perhaps it is a thanks to the crew who liberated Narnia from the oppressing rule of the Usurper. Or the first crew graduating from Narnia's navigating school.
I is Lava, how I got that name is a long story, but I is Lava

Lava
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Bother Eustace » Oct 08, 2009 8:26 am

Movie Aristotle wrote:They could be thanking the crew of the Dawn Treader. Perhaps Caspian wrote it for the crew, using the Royal "we" of course.

The Royal "we" makes sense, but it also says 'grateful hearts', plural. That seems awkward, unless its speaking of more than one person. Or maybe not. Who knows?
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby LimeWarrior » Oct 08, 2009 11:59 am

This was probably written by the shipbuilders of Galma. The ship was commissioned by Caspian but not built by Narnians. This is probably the people of Galma expressing their gratitude to Caspian for freeing them from Miraz.
---'%%%%'---
'%(}%%%{)%'
%/...0._.0...\%
-%(.~.\/.~.)%-
--'%\._|_./%'--
Of course he isn't safe. But he's good.
LimeWarrior
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Deadman » Oct 12, 2009 5:54 am

In the Roman Catholic Mass of olden days we find a response:
Exultandi et letandi tempus est; pascha nostrum immolatus agnus est; qui nostras miserias expurgavit: illi demus gratias.
[It is time to exult and be glad; the Lamb our
Passover is slain, who purged away our miseries; to Him may we give thanks.]

There is a Latin hymn, from the middle ages, which includes the words:
... tibi demus gratias
cum beatis perpetuas.

[... to thee may we give thanks
with everlasting happiness.]

Modern Roman Catholics, too, have a response in services:
“We give thanks with grateful hearts.”

There may also be an echo of famous verses by the popular puritan preacher, the “silver-tongued” Henry Smith (1560-1609?):
Give thanks with a grateful heart,
Give thanks to the Holy One,
Give thanks because he’s given
Jesus Christ, His Son.

Those words of grateful thanks have been paraphrased often over the years in prayers of thanksgiving, and, in the US, by Puritans and their spiritual descendants, at Thanksgiving.
There may, then, be a deliberate, latitudinarian allusion to Christian prayers in the prayer on the pillar.

Male male male male male.
[I should rather be unlucky in an apple tree than an evil man on a mast.]
Deadman
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Oct 12, 2009 1:32 pm

oh I never noticed that- cool :)
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Deadman » Oct 12, 2009 6:14 pm

LimeWarrior says:
[the words on the pillar] was probably written by the shipbuilders of Galma. The ship was commissioned by Caspian but not built by Narnians.

In Chapter Two of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, we have:
When his uncle, Miraz the usurper, had sent the seven lords to sea, they had had to buy a Galmian ship and man it with hired Galmian sailors. But now Caspian had begun to teach the Narnians to be sea-faring folk once more, and the Dawn Treader was the finest ship he had built yet.

I interpret this to mean that it was wholly built by Narnians. This is reinforced, for me, by Lucy’s original assessment of the ship (in Chapter One) of the ship in the painting:
... she is such a very Narnian ship.

(It could be argued, of course, that Lucy’s use of ‘Narnian’ here refers to the entire Narnian world which would include Galmia.)

Talking of the painting of the Dawn Treader, it will be interesting to see how the film depicts the painting, whether as an oil painting or a watercolour. in the book, we are told that Eustace found himself standing on the frame of the picture:
... in front of him was not glass but real sea and wind and waves rushing up to the frame as they might to a rock.

Oil paintings need no glass in the frames, and rarely had glass in the ’fifties. It seems to me that the picture of the Dawn Treader must be a watercolour or, perhaps, considering the gilding on the ship’s prow and other rich details, a bodycolour painting.
Deadman
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Oct 13, 2009 1:47 pm

I wonder if it's suposed to be something Aslan said?
I honestly don't know what to make of it! but I think it's cool that there are words engraved on the mast! but if the mast is broken off in the storm, the words will be lost!
I'm sure the words have some sort of meaning that will tie in from the book or something to do with Narnia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Bother Eustace » Nov 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Well, the speculation in this thread is now answered. According to the first production blog, by Ernie Malik, the inscription on the mast states: “All Narnians, with grateful hearts may we give thanks to the crew of the mighty Dawn Treader for their strong minds and artisan hands.”
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie