This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Edmund with Peter's Sword?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Edmund with Peter's Sword?

Postby ellz_bellz » Sep 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Well, For those of you who have veiwed all of the pictures the 'Dawn Treader Crew in Armor', some of you have noticed that Edmund is carrying Rhindon, Peter's Sword!

Now, as we noticed in the video of Caspian and Edmund swordfighting, we saw that Caspian had the sword. Now it appears that he has given it to Edmund! What is going on?

I much prefer Edmund to have Rhindon, as it was his brothers sword, but it does seem strange! Perhaps Caspian feels bad for having Rhindon, or maybe Edmund gets a bit iffy with him, or WHAT EVER.

It still seems a little odd, as Peter gave the sword to Caspian as a symblo of passing on the 'Kingship of Narnia'. But now that Caspian has apparantly given it back to Edmund, he may as well be saying, 'Well, I got bored of being the King in charge, here you go Edmund!"

What do you think???
I personally don't LOVE it, as I am a bit of a book purist. But it may turn into a bit of an interesting plot line...
Proud that VDT is Australian :)
siggy by lover of narnia, avie by jillhope
ellz_bellz
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Edmund with Peter's Sword?

Postby Lirenel » Sep 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Excuse me a moment...

omp, edmund in armor, omp, so hot, fangirlfangirlSQUEEEEEEE

*cough* Ahem. As I was saying, I quite like the thought of Edmund having Rhindon. I think it might make sense to have Caspian "return" it to the High King's brother.

EDIT TO ADD:

Oh! Now that my head's a little clearer, I think I might have an idea. I bet the "fight" between Edmund and Caspian at the beginning is over Caspian's right to wield Rhindon. Caspian loses and so Edmund carries Rhindon from then on (probably giving it back to Caspian at the end once Caspian proves himself by decided to follow Aslan and return to Narnia).

And, I'm thinking, they're re-arranging the Lone Islands bit. Instead of Caspian going to Gumpas and then freeing the others, he frees the slaves by force (because apparently we have to have a fight scene) and then he and Edmund and Lucy confront Gumpas.

Man, if that's the case, I wish they have something like:

Caspian: I, as king of Narnia, do not countenance the keeping and selling of slaves. As a protectorate of Narnia, the Lone Islands will comply with the abolition of any and all slavery.
Gumpas: But my Lord, slavery is an essential part of the Lone Island economy. We have always been allowed to ply our trade.
Lucy: Always? You claim that slavery was legal even in during the reign of the High King?
Gumpas: Yes, yes, of course!
Edmund: *steps forward* Well, I say you are a liar of the worst sort!
Gumpas: And you are?
Edmund: I am King Edmund the Just of Narnia, brother of Peter, High King of Narnia and Emperor of the Lone Islands. And I tell you, Governor, that never at any moment did the true Kings and Queens of Narnia allow such an abomination to happen under our rule.
Gumpas: King Edmund? And what proof do you have that you are who you say?
Edmund: I have my word *draws Rhindon with a focus on the glittering sword* and this.
*Gumpas is cowed. Caspian smirks*
Caspian: Now, I do believe we have a slave trade to outlaw.
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

My overview of VODT: http://lady-lirenel.livejournal.com/151965.html
Lirenel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lion's Emblem » Sep 21, 2009 10:00 pm

If Peter's sword has to return to VDT (and I suppose it would make sense having been seen at the end of PC), I would much prefer that it be in the hands of Edmund rather than Caspian. I think it's an object of reverence and Caspian should have respect for that and not use it because it belongs to the High King Peter. I understand the whole "passing of the torch" (kingship) idea in PC, but I'd want it to be more of a symbolic idea, not a tool for Caspian. Yes, I understand the use of Susan's horn and Lucy's cordial by Caspian, but I just can't come to grips with him using Peter's sword as well. It doesn't make much sense for me to be going back and forth between Edmund and Caspian on who uses Peter's sword. If it is a symbol of Caspian "giving up his kingship", let's not forget that in the end of the VDT book, Caspian has the sense of not wanting to be king when he wants to journey on with Reepicheep and leave his people behind. Who knows? Maybe it's not as major of an item as we think.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ellz_bellz » Sep 21, 2009 11:02 pm

I'm sorry, but I just laughed my head off at Lirenel's post.

I'm loving the little script demo xD, oh, and not to worry, I had a bit of a fangirl SQUEEEEEE, as well

Thats a good idea, for Edmund and Caspian to be 'fighting' over Rhindon. Edmund looked pretty confident to me!
Proud that VDT is Australian :)
siggy by lover of narnia, avie by jillhope
ellz_bellz
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 22, 2009 12:09 am

i posted this elsewhere, might as well say it here:

from the other footages we've seen so far (which are all shot out of sequence), Caspian bears Rhindon all those times-- except for this scene.

in fact, Caspian bears no sword at all! that is highly unusual for a king in full battle gear.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Qr2src64V-Y/S ... _ps_14.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/little_lov ... 395215620/

if Caspian loses Rhindon to Edmund from that sparring incident, then this scene follows that in close succession. for some reason i highly doubt it. something's gonna happen that will make Caspian hand over Rhindon to Edmund. maybe he thinks this is a battle he might not survive or wont risk the old King and Queen of Narnia in such a dangerous mission and leaves Rhindon with them. or there's a scene where Caspian loses Rhindon and Edmund goes to retrieve it.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby starkat » Sep 22, 2009 4:05 am

I suspect that it might be a symbolic thing. Caspian could give Edmund Peter's sword as a sign of respect much as he reunites Lucy with her cordial. At least I hope its something like that.
starkat

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Sep 22, 2009 6:38 am

I'm against Edmund having Caspian sword. Peter gave it to Caspian, not Edmund! As long as the filmmakers have made a change like that, I think they should stick by it. It should not be something like, "Oh, whoops, Peter's brother is on the ship, he should have my sword now."

And Edmund isn't the sort who would be mad at Caspian for wearing Peter's sword. Peter gave it to him as a gift! Also, I don't think it's like the cordial. The cordial was always Lucy's. She never gave it away, as a gift or otherwise. The sword was never Edmund's, and his brother gave it away as a gift. Caspian giving Lucy the cordial was restoring to the Queen that which was rightfully hers. Caspian became the owner of the sword when Peter gave it to him, so giving Edmund the sword wouldn't really have any specific significance except:

"Hey, you don't have a sword, want mine?"

"Oh yeah, thanks dude." :p
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby -queenSUSAN- » Sep 22, 2009 8:43 am

starkat wrote:I suspect that it might be a symbolic thing. Caspian could give Edmund Peter's sword as a sign of respect much as he reunites Lucy with her cordial. At least I hope its something like that.

That's exactly what I was thinking (hoping!). But then, why does Caspian seem to have it in all of the other pictures? So confuzzled... :-\
-queenSUSAN-
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: on a cliff overlooking the battle, I let one arrow fly--I couldn't resist!

Postby PrincessMia241 » Sep 22, 2009 10:06 am

Also, I don't think it's like the cordial. The cordial was always Lucy's. She never gave it away, as a gift or otherwise.

It's just if the filmmakers think of it like that :p

So if Caspian has it in all the pics we've seen so far except that one, and he has none in this scene.... brainstorm.

Maybe this is Lone Island? They all get captured, but Caspian sneaks Edmund Rhindon and Edmund escapes to the Dawn Treader, and rescues them somehow. That's the only thing I can think of, seeing Caspian has no sword.
avy by narniagirl90
PrincessMia241
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 22, 2009 10:06 am

again, it begs to ask, as the question in this thread is incomplete:

Edmund has Peter's sword? and why is Caspian without a sword?

any other reasons why Edmund would have Rhindon doesnt explain the fact that the ruling King of Narnia doesnt have a single weapon to defend himself with while in full battle gear. :-?

JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby princess_of_narnia » Sep 22, 2009 12:48 pm

I think the dueling theory, that Caspian lost the duel and hands over Rhindon to Edmund, is the most likely, but also the theory I like the least.
One other question, I'm not very skilled at telling the difference between a normal sword and the special Rhindon, but is everyone quite certain that it is the same sword that both Edmund and Caspian are wearing? Is there any possibility that there are two different swords? (Which then again, doesn't explain why Caspian is in full armor but without a sword.)
Sig by ski_hi_flier Avvy by campgirl
princess_of_narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Bother Eustace » Sep 22, 2009 1:07 pm

I don't know about Caspian's Rhindon, because I heard about him having it without seeing it myself, so I just took everyone's word for it. I can attest to the fact that Edmund now has Rhindon, however - Aslan's head on the pommel, a crimson-colored hilt, a slim metal clasp that overlaps the sheath; all signatures of the iconic sword of Peter. There's next to no doubt in my mind about this one.

My original reaction to seeing Rhindon in the photo with Edmund was positive. I felt an immediate sense of nostalgia and a sense of pride for Ed (my favorite Pevensie, by far.) However after reading the posts of those less exuberent about Ed's newest posession, I find myself able to see where they are coming from. I certainly don't want the sword to become a sort of 'status symbol' that creates animosity between the kings, i.e. 'whoever wins the duel can have the sword'. We had enough hostility between Caspian and Peter, let's have pure friendship between him and Edmund, please. After all, what is an ancient-antique-sword-of-historical-and-cultural-significance between friends? :)

...what next, is Rilian going to take up Rhindon? And then Tirian I suppose? /:)
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TumnusTheBrave » Sep 22, 2009 1:13 pm

well if somebody was going to have to use peters sword i would vote edmund
Because I Believe In a Free Narnia
- Mr.Tumnus
TumnusTheBrave
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 22, 2009 2:47 pm

princess_of_narnia wrote:I think the dueling theory, that Caspian lost the duel and hands over Rhindon to Edmund, is the most likely, but also the theory I like the least.
One other question, I'm not very skilled at telling the difference between a normal sword and the special Rhindon, but is everyone quite certain that it is the same sword that both Edmund and Caspian are wearing? Is there any possibility that there are two different swords? (Which then again, doesn't explain why Caspian is in full armor but without a sword.)

there are several replicas on set (a few spy photos scattered around verifies this) but all are referring to one Rhindon. from all the times i've seen Caspian bearing that sword, Edmund uses another sword, something similar to the type of sword Caspian uses in PC. now that Edmund has Rhindon, it would make logical sense for Caspian not to have it. question still remains why he's defenseless ;)

JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnia_lover127 » Sep 22, 2009 3:23 pm

i think that Rhindon shouldn't be in this film at all, but anyway... if it is, i think Ed should have it not Caspian.
or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch,Peter~Lucy

Avvie,sig:me!
narnia_lover127
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Peepiceeka » Sep 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Agreed: Edmund should definitely have the sword at all times. It just wouldn't be right for Caspian to originally have it and then give it to him. Although I don't see why they could just keep Rhindon as a memory of Peter and use a different sword instead.
Peepiceeka
NarniaWeb Nut

Next