This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Edmund with Peter's Sword?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Edmund with Peter's Sword?

Postby Adeona » Sep 22, 2009 7:53 pm

To begin with, I agree with Narnia_Lover127; Rhindon should not be in the movie.
Next, I loathe the duel-for-the-sword theory. (Sorry, not trying to upset anyone. Just IMHO) That would be low and silly. What would Peter say?!
"Oh, great, now everyone gets to fight over my awesome sword. So, Ed, were you coveting it all these years? Saw your opportunity, did you?" I don't think he would mind either of them using it (much), but fighting over it is a bit far.

I really have no clue about this "Musical Swords" business. Will wait for more information to surface.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby fauntastic » Sep 22, 2009 8:53 pm

PrincessMia241 wrote:Maybe this is Lone Island? They all get captured, but Caspian sneaks Edmund Rhindon and Edmund escapes to the Dawn Treader, and rescues them somehow. That's the only thing I can think of, seeing Caspian has no sword.

Then why is the Dawn Treader damaged?
NW sibs: Windsong and Lucy Took
fauntastic
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Bookwyrm » Sep 22, 2009 9:19 pm

Maybe they changed the non-fight with the pirates to an actual fight and that's why the DT is damaged.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Glumpuddle » Sep 22, 2009 9:59 pm

This is strange. Hmmm...

I would be far less bothered by Edmund carrying the sword than Caspian.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Sep 23, 2009 6:37 am

Why so, gP? Peter gave the sword to Caspian, so it is now Caspian's sword. It's his right to carry it, and not prideful or disrespectful at all. I would be more annoyed if Edmund had the sword.
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby caboo29 » Sep 23, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm thinking that maybe this scene has to do with the Sea serpent just because they're all soaking wet, but then again, would they have time to get all their armor on once it attacked?

I have no idea why Ed would have Rhindon, but I like him with it better, I don't like the whole dueling for it idea. I think it would come across as pretty stupid, there's no way they would make a bet on it, that would just be shallow and pointless.

I'm guessing Caspian didn't bring Edmunds sword along, so he lets him borrow his brothers maybe? I have no clue....
They know everything on Narniaweb. - Ben Barnes

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." - C.S. Lewis
caboo29
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Eustace » Sep 24, 2009 4:37 am

I love the fact Edmund has Rhindon, it almost seems like he should use it. Atleast it's better than Caspian using it. I hope he gets use because he won the duel.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnian1 » Sep 24, 2009 5:07 am

I prefer Edmund to have the sword as well,
I know Peter gave it to Caspian, and therefore it's rightfully his now...

It's just a sign of respect to give it back to the king if he should return, or in this case- his brother. (as others have said).
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby PrincessMia241 » Sep 24, 2009 11:12 am

Ed have it and not Caspian?? Dude no. Especially as Caspian has it all other times, and Peter gave it to him. Let's not pass it around :p If it's in VDT at all, it should be Caspian's. And yeah they'll probably pass it down to Rilian, and have Tirian find it somehow haha!

One idea I thought of for the damaged boat was they had been attacked by a dragon before Lone Island. So in this scene (assuming Lone Island) Ed has the sword for whatever reason.

Later, on dragon island, when Eustace shows up they try to shoot him :-\

Though I don't know if they'd leave the boat damaged for that long.....

Wishful thinking lol
avy by narniagirl90
PrincessMia241
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnialover4 » Sep 26, 2009 8:59 am

I'd definitely rather have Edmund having Rhindon than Caspian just because Peter and Edmund are brothers.
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Sep 26, 2009 1:01 pm

In the book, Caspian has taken all the Gifts on the ship with him. He gives the Cordial to Lucy to administer (and presumably her dagger?).
Since Edmund didn't get a gift, it seems to be a mark of respect that he is given the High King's sword to use while he is in Narnia (not having brought one with him ;) ) .
I can't see them having a genuine fight, just a bit of a pass with swords, as it's a year since Ed did any fighting, and he just needed a bit of practice to get back into it.
Eustace is remembered for ruining Caspian's second best sword while trying to fight the Serpent.
I wonder whether Caspian has been using his own 'best' sword and keeping Rhindon as a special item? Otherwise one does wonder why he isn't wearing one in what seems to be a fully-armed scene.

[as for Musical Swords, surely Rhindon doesn't have a built in MP3? =)) ]
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby decarus » Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

I am pretty sure in the book that Caspian only brings the cordial. He doesn't bring the other gifts, susan's horn and bow, peter's sword, lucy's dagger. He only brings the cordial. I can't look it up at the moment, but i am pretty sure.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MonkeySaru » Sep 28, 2009 10:51 am

Guys...I'm pretty confident that that sword is indeed Rhindon.
Look at the sheath. It looks very much alike.

Though this doesn't really bother me at all...I mean, this is really what I want to say about this...

If they're trying to redeem Caspian's book-nature[the sweet, generous boy we all know and love] and pull it off as a "Caspian became more mature when he became king" type-thing, then when the Pevensies come on board, no doubt he'd feel inclined to give Edmund his brother's sword when he reunited Lucy with her cordial.

I mean, just think about it a little. In PC, Peter was more symbolically bestowing the right of kingship onto Caspian by giving him the sword. It was kind of a "I'm letting go of my kingship and my right to rule this land; it's not mine anymore" moment rather than a "oh, by the way, here's a gift for you - ADIOS!" moment. Caspian was never meant to really USE the sword. That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

But Edmund is BROTHER of the high king, so he'd logically be first in line to use the sword, if at all. :| But it probably shouldn't be used, just out of respect. But if it was used, Caspian would no-doubt feel inclined to give Edmund some sort of solid reassurance of his brother still in Narnia rather than give him some plain old sword they found lying around.

I dunno...mindless speculation. We need clearer pictures, that's what we need.

NW sibs - six. Hee. x)
One of the first members of the Tenth Avenue North club! 8]
My YouTube Vlog
MonkeySaru
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnialover101 » Sep 28, 2009 12:31 pm

decarus wrote:I am pretty sure in the book that Caspian only brings the cordial. He doesn't bring the other gifts, susan's horn and bow, peter's sword, lucy's dagger.
The book actually doesn't say directly, but it seems to suggest he brought all the "royal treasures" with them:

"I think I really must go and see Eustace. Seasickness is horrid, you know. If I had my old cordial with me I could cure him." -Lucy

"but you have," said Caspian." I'd quite forgotten about it. As you left it behind I thought it might be regarded as one of the royal treasures and so I brought it..." -Caspian

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby ellz_bellz » Sep 28, 2009 6:36 pm

Ahaaah, now that makes a little more sense! I wish someone from the production could just come in and help us all out! They probably use our forum for a source of entertainment xD

So, what do we think? The producers are trying to redeem Caspian's image, by passing Rhindon onto Edmund, as he is 'The Next in Line', because Peter was his brother.

That may not be it, But I do like the sound of it.

(Musical swords? You mean iSwords!)
Proud that VDT is Australian :)
siggy by lover of narnia, avie by jillhope
ellz_bellz
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby decarus » Sep 28, 2009 7:16 pm

narnialover101 wrote:"I think I really must go and see Eustace. Seasickness is horrid, you know. If I had my old cordial with me I could cure him." -Lucy

"but you have," said Caspian." I'd quite forgotten about it. As you left it behind I thought it might be regarded as one of the royal treasures and so I brought it..." -Caspian [/color]

This really means to me that it was the only one of the royal treasures he brought with him. If he had the horn he would have used it, if he had Lucy's knife he would have given it to her, and yet on the cordial is mentioned.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext