This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Edmund with Peter's Sword?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Edmund with Peter's Sword?

Postby narnialover101 » Sep 28, 2009 8:07 pm

Decarus: It is never said whether or not Lucy also received her knife; it wasn't important to the story so it wasn't mentioned, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Also it seems to me that he is saying that anything that is a royal treasure ought to be on board with them and it logically doesn't make sense that he'd consider Lucy's cordial a royal treasure while not considering Susan's horn or Peter's sword to be ones. And no, if they had brought Susan's horn they would not have used it, just as they wouldn't have used Lucy's cordial had she not shown up on the ship. In the end it can be argued either way and therefor can not be conclusive, but sense it could be interpreted that all of the Pevensie's gifts were on board, than the filmmakers are technically not being unfaithful to the book in that respect.

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby decarus » Sep 28, 2009 8:45 pm

Well, i think we may have to agree to disagree. I think it clearly states that the cordial was considered one of the royal treasures and therefore belongs to the royal house, which is just him at the moment, so he brought 'it' with him. I don't think it is at all suggesting that they brought all of the royal treasures. I don't think that would make much sense at all, but i am willing to agree to disagree.

For me, even if this is a departure from the book, which i think it is, it doesn't really bother me that much. There will be worse departures then Caspian and Edmund carrying Peter's sword.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby KingofKings'Daughter » Sep 28, 2009 8:59 pm

MonkeySaru wrote:Guys...I'm pretty confident that that sword is indeed Rhindon.
Look at the sheath. It looks very much alike.

Though this doesn't really bother me at all...I mean, this is really what I want to say about this...

If they're trying to redeem Caspian's book-nature[the sweet, generous boy we all know and love] and pull it off as a "Caspian became more mature when he became king" type-thing, then when the Pevensies come on board, no doubt he'd feel inclined to give Edmund his brother's sword when he reunited Lucy with her cordial.

I mean, just think about it a little. In PC, Peter was more symbolically bestowing the right of kingship onto Caspian by giving him the sword. It was kind of a "I'm letting go of my kingship and my right to rule this land; it's not mine anymore" moment rather than a "oh, by the way, here's a gift for you - ADIOS!" moment. Caspian was never meant to really USE the sword. That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

But Edmund is BROTHER of the high king, so he'd logically be first in line to use the sword, if at all. :| But it probably shouldn't be used, just out of respect. But if it was used, Caspian would no-doubt feel inclined to give Edmund some sort of solid reassurance of his brother still in Narnia rather than give him some plain old sword they found lying around.

I dunno...mindless speculation. We need clearer pictures, that's what we need.

I totally agree with you, MonkeySaru. If Caspian didn't bring the "gifts", Caspian wouldn't just lend a random sword to Edmund. Do you think the Telmarines or now Narnians would just make a replica of Peter's sword? Rhindon seems special. I don't think they would just make a copy...well I hope it's Rhindon itself in the film. Looks like it.
KingofKings'Daughter
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby decarus » Sep 29, 2009 4:59 am

Well i do think that this is Rhindon in the film. I am just saying that it is a departure from the book. It really doesn't bother me that much because for some reason i thought they would do that.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 29, 2009 1:19 pm

hmmm.....
I have no idea what to think!!!!!
I really like the idea of Edmund having Peter's sword, but it's still a little odd because Father Christmas gave it to Peter as a gift and Edmund didn't get a gift from him 'cause he wasn't there.....
but then it apears that Caspian gave it to Edmund, so I think it's alright..... :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Rilian » Sep 30, 2009 11:44 am

narnialover101 wrote:[color=#009999]Decarus:And no, if they had brought Susan's horn they would not have used it, just as they wouldn't have used Lucy's cordial had she not shown up on the ship. In the end it can be argued either way and therefor can not be conclusive, but sense it could be interpreted that all of the Pevensie's gifts were on board, than the filmmakers are technically not being unfaithful to the book in that respect.

I can't see how that is true. They surely would have used it during the Dark Island. Perhaps you could say they just forgot it.

Frankly, I don't like Edmund using the sword any more than I do Caspian. The issue here is one of the context for the gift. The gift was always one for Peter to use. If you want to tie it to him being king then you're limited to him being the high king. Look at the horn; even in Prince Caspian the horn was known as "Queen Susan's Horn." It wasn't the horn for any queen just as this sword is not the sword for any Narnian king (or Pevensie for that matter).

It's not that fighting with it is being irreverent. Aragorn was very referent towards Andúril in The Lord of the Rings even though he fought with it a great deal. Fighting with something does not make it irreverent.
Your podcasting prince,
Rilian

http://twitter.com/prince_rilian
Rilian
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Sep 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Queen Susan's horn wasn't on the ship:
... There Caspian winded his horn. (This was not the great magic horn of Narnia, Queen Susan's Horn: he had left that at home for his regent Trumpkin to use if any great need fell upon the land in the King's absence.)

It is interesting to not that it is first described as the magic horn of Narnia and then as Queen Susan's.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby decarus » Sep 30, 2009 3:17 pm

I remembered this from the book, but couldn't think of where it was when i looked. I thought he left it with Trumpkin in case of an emergency.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Rilian » Oct 10, 2009 5:57 pm

But still, it's mentioned as Queen Susan's horn. I might actually search through the books to see where/how Rhindon is mentioned.
Your podcasting prince,
Rilian

http://twitter.com/prince_rilian
Rilian
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Oct 15, 2009 2:25 pm

I do think that it would be perfectly fine to bring Rhindon on board as part of the royal treasury; using it is another matter. Though, as you pointed out Rilian, Aragorn used his ancestors sword and i didn't think much of it then and still don't now. I don't think AT ALL Caspian should use it and don't know what i think about ed using it... i'll just have to wait till 12/10/10 :-\
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous