This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Lucy with a sword?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Lucy with a sword?

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 21, 2009 4:19 pm

wow. this is so cool!!!!! Lucy gets a sword!!!!!!
this must mean that she will get to do even more action than in PC!!!!! cool!!!!! and she looks so much older!!!!! she's gotten tall!!!!! :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Aravis Tarkheena » Sep 21, 2009 4:32 pm

As Draugrin pointed out, Lu's sword looks a bit like Sting. To me, at least, the new pictures show the rest of the blade, and the sword doesn't look that long. Not quite a knife (I think those would be thinner, although I'm not the expert at all), but not quite a sword. Definitely not what Ed and Caspian carry around.

I would mind her fighting, not a lot, mostly because I am unsure if I'll like how they handle it.
Looking further up and further in

avvie by me
Aravis Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Kate » Sep 21, 2009 5:11 pm

The question I have is how good will Lucy be with a sword? She's never really fought with one before so it wouldn't make sense for her to suddenly be really good. She'd have to learn. Perhaps she joins in as another pupil during Eustace's lessons? Sure, she's fought with a dagger before, but it didn't go too well with Nikabrik and a dagger is totally different from a sword.

They will have quite a bit of free time on the ship, so there would be plenty of time for her to learn.
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby decarus » Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

I agree that it doesn't make sense that she would know how to use a sword. That is the biggest issue with her carrying a sword. It doesn't make sense that if she wouldn't know how to use a sword in PC and then she would in VotDT.

Though they didn't show her using a bow in PC either which also didn't make sense. I guess we could assume she was too young at the time or something.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 21, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm glad that Lucy is using a sword, like everyone is saying it total fits her character! As long as they don't over do it, it's a great choice by the filmakers. One thing I noticed was that Lucy's sword looks like it was crafted by dwarfs, which made me think. If Edmund, Lucy and Eustace all join up with Caspian and the Dawn Treader as they leave Cair Paravel, maybe Trumpkin see's Lucy and gives her his sword before they leave. Or maybe it's just one of the dwarf's swords on board the Dawn Treader. Just a thought. Anyway I'm so glad that Lucy is being given a better means of defence.

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 22, 2009 1:14 am

it could be a dwarf's broadsword (there are dwarves on this voyage) or it could be a giant's dagger (if they are going to include that line about Caspian speaking about defeating the Giants-- which would pave way for Silver Chair)

i dont really have any problems with Lucy carrying a sword or being a fighter. CS Lewis is of the "old school" thinking where women dont belong in the battle field or arent suited to do "man's work". these are one of the tweaks i'm willing to allow since there is provision in the books that Lucy is a fighter and Susan was an excellent archer. as to which extent women are allowed to fight in the Narnia tales depends on the storyteller, and for these Narnia series, its Andrew Adamson and Michael Apted, not CS Lewis.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby starkat » Sep 22, 2009 3:58 am

Kate wrote:The question I have is how good will Lucy be with a sword? She's never really fought with one before so it wouldn't make sense for her to suddenly be really good. She'd have to learn.

Keep in mind she probably did learn while they were in Narnia the first time. Or at least that's an assumption that the filmmakers could make because they did grow up. Just because Lucy rode with the archers in the HHB doesn't mean she didn't know how to use the sword. Or she pestered her brothers to teach her back in the real world.

I suspect that she's got one now and didn't carry one in P.C. because she is on a ship. With the early attack by pirates and the sea serpent attack, it would probably be a good idea to have weapons near at hand for anyone who could to use them. Also, depending on how they expand the Lone Islands, maybe they give her one to show her status as a Queen and not just a "little girl".
starkat

Postby PrincessMia241 » Sep 22, 2009 10:14 am

Ooooooh I love her sword! It looks so cool!

Oh my, she's gotten big!
avy by narniagirl90
PrincessMia241
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby princess_of_narnia » Sep 22, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm curious as to watching Georgie use a sword. It's an interesting step up from the dagger and I'm a bit excited about it. The drawback to the idea it that if she uses the sword it's probably a battle and I'm not to keen about that idea. But anyway, it's a neat addition to her wardrobe!
Sig by ski_hi_flier Avvy by campgirl
princess_of_narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Bother Eustace » Sep 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Being one of the fans who wasn't thrilled with Susan's sudden promotion to a fearless warrior in PC, I can honestly say I'm fine with Lucy having and even using a sword in VDT. She is shown to be a warrior in HHB, even though that little slice of her adult life in Narnia is hardly enough to denote whether she has sword-fighting skills or not. True, she didn't carry a sword in PC; but then again we all remember in the PC book that Lucy couldn't swim either, even though she had learned while in Narnia the first time. It all has to do with her age; she learned to swim as an adult, lost the ability when she returned to childhood, and then by the time of VDT she was again an excellent swimmer. Perhaps the same line of reasoning could lead to her being a capable swordfighter; it's certainly within the realm of possibility. A sword is also better defense than a bow, especially on a ship. :ar!
My only qualm is the fact that her sword looks so small... I guess someone her size would need a smaller one, but I'm a fan of longer swords. Her's looks like Sting, as many have mentioned.
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Bookwyrm » Sep 22, 2009 3:08 pm

It would be fun for Lucy to be in charge of training Eustace. Perhaps he could make some snarky comment about girls fighting and Lucy totally wows him with her mad cool skillz. :))
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Adeona » Sep 22, 2009 7:43 pm

She appeared to be enjoying it too much and she should not have been aggressive at all rather pale and more mechanical.

It was way to aggressive and Legolasy.

Well, I'm not sure how much you could say she was enjoying it, but she actually was pretty pale! Mechanical would have been good, though. It definitely was "Legolasy" lol! Reminded me of the bit in Helm's Deep where he slides down the stairs. Bleh.

Her [Lucy's] little "scuffle" with Nikabrik in PC came across as completely pathetic-she barely struggled, and that was extremely out of her character.

Actually, that was pretty quick thinking on her part. And even if Nikabrik is smaller then her, he would still be much stronger. He IS an adult, after all.

The short sword looks good. Glad it's short, for sure. But I don't really mind the sword, though it will take some getting used to. And she should still have the dagger, at least in her room or somewhere. She can't just drop it! It is a valuable gift.

Edit: Oh, I'm so embarrassed. :ymblushing: Of course, Lucy wouldn't have her dagger. It wasn't on board for Caspian to give it to her with the cordial! I can't believe I didn't realize that... 8-| Sorry for the lapse in common sense everyone!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 25, 2009 3:53 pm

If there's a big epic battle, I'll be disappointed. But if she (and all the others with their swords) uses it just for small scuffles, I'm all for it ;)
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnialover4 » Sep 26, 2009 8:56 am

It will be kinda weird seeing Lucy with a sword...
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TumnusTheBrave » Sep 27, 2009 9:25 am

maybe they give her one just in case she gets lost on a island or something and she needs to use it or something and i think i remember it saying something about wild animals on the islands in the book(when they were looking for eustace and they said they hope he didnt get attacked by wild animals)
Because I Believe In a Free Narnia
- Mr.Tumnus
TumnusTheBrave
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby daughter of the King » Sep 27, 2009 4:31 pm

From the pictures, it would appear that it is a Dwarf's sword rather than a long, adult sized one. I'm okay with Lucy fighting, since it goes along with her character, but when will she use the sword? In one of those "pitched battles" we keep hearing rumors of? I don't remember, does she have the sword in the pictures we've seen of her in armor with MLG? If they are going to have battles, a sword makes sense. But why do they have to have battles?
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

PreviousNext