This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Watching Narnia with Narnian food

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Watching Narnia with Narnian food

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 13, 2009 3:15 pm

Ok I have no idea where to post this, so if you need to move it feel free to do so. When me and my sister where planning the night we would see LWW for the first time I thought it would be fun to bring some Turkish delight with us and eat it at the exact same time Edmund did. Silly I know but it was fun. :p So when PC came out we brought apples and ate those at the same time Lucy did. So now we come to VDT and I can't figure out what to bring that will for sure be kept in the film. Me and my sister thought sweet water for when Reep finds out that the water is sweet. So I'm just curious what else someone might come up with to bring. :-\

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Watching Narnia with Narnian food

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 13, 2009 4:54 pm

that's cool haha

well, unless you can find a fire berry from the valleys in the sun, I can't think of anything else either ;)
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnian1 » Sep 13, 2009 5:39 pm

it's silly, but it sure seems cool too.
anything to make your enjoyment is a plus :D

I can't think of anything though,
I'd check the chapter with the dufflepods, after all they have a dinner there. Surely something of that would still make the movie.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 13, 2009 10:08 pm

I totally know how you feel! LWW came out on DVD at about the same time one of my Professors came back from Greece. She brought back Turkish Delight for the rest of the faculty but by the end of the day nobody wanted any more. They were going to throw it out so I volunteered to take it. I had already had a piece that afternoon, and even though I thought it was an acquired taste, I still enjoyed it enough to try some more. After all, it isn't every day that you get real Turkish Delight from Greece!

As soon as I could, I went home and put in my copy of LWW and started watching. I didn't eat any more of my Turkish Delight until Edmund did. It sounds really weird to confess, but it was one of the most spiritual moments I've ever had while watching a film. For one moment I was partaking in the story and could experience what Edmund was experiencing, as he was experiencing it. Kind of like it would feel to walk through a wardrobe with Lucy or fight in a battle alongside Peter.

But maybe you had to have been there.

Needless to say, I have been a big fan of dinner theater ever since!
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 14, 2009 12:38 pm

I know! you could eat your favorite food (whatever it may be.....)!
'cause in the book, The Magician on the island with the dufflepuds treats tthe characters to dinner before they leave and by magic they all get what they like best!!!!! :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 14, 2009 7:23 pm

well, you could try the meal at Aslan's table (the one where they saw Ramandu's daughter), i remember they had wine and cold peacock. if thats too fancy (or you're underage for alcohol) then you'll have to be content with just mustard :p

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 14, 2009 9:01 pm

I never knew mustard could be used as a substitute for wine! ;)
I like the idea of eating relevant food while watching the movies. It would enhance the experience and be a good bit of fun. That said, many of us would have problems with some of the foods Lewis mentioned and would need to stretch our taste-bud's horizons.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Yeah I have the Narnia cook book and it has Puddleglum's eel stew recipe, Lets just say I havn't made it yet. But if I could bring a food to SC I would choose eel stew, though I don't think they would let me take it in with me. ;) Thanks for all of your idea's I'm sure I can come up with something now! :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby EtJ » Sep 24, 2009 6:39 pm

This topic has been reopened for further discussion upon request.
"To the Great Western Wood, I give you...."
EtJ
Moderator Emeritus
Mad Mod of GMD and G&B

Postby Adeona » Sep 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Thank you EtJ.

Wow, eating Turkish Delight while watching LWW would be special.

When I was reading the books to my little sisters we ate apples while reading about the apple orchard in PC. That was a great experience; it did make the story more real. We were inspired to float about in a real canoe while reading VDT. That one was a little too distracting!

I know that Lucy eats a lunch with Coriakin the Magician after disenchanting the Dufflepuds. I remember it was very English. *Gets book* Coriakin says "I have tried to give you food more like the food of your own land than perhaps you have had lately." The menu: a piping hot omelette, cold lamb and green peas, a strawberry ice (Yum! You could do strawberry ice cream. But you would have to have a cooler or it would melt before this scene!), a lemon-squash drink during the meal and hot chocolate afterword.
Looks like they had dinner with the Dufflepuds as well. This was the night before. Menu: Mushroom soup, boiled chicken, hot boiled ham and gooseberries, redcurrants, curds, cream, milk, and mead. C.S. Lewis says: "The others liked the mead but Eustace was sorry afterwords that he had drunk any." I believe mead is alcoholic? Fermented honey and milk, I think.

And they had wild goat on Dragon Isle, roasted over a campfire. That might be a little too much of a greasy mess to eat in a movie theatre! :D
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 24, 2009 8:55 pm

Thank You Adeona, I love your idea! :ymapplause: I think the challenge for me is it has to be something I can take into the theaters with me and be able to reach for easily. Me and my sister our already planning the night we go see Dawn Treader at midnight. :D

So I guess it has to be:

1. easily to hang on to for some hours.
(I carried my Turkish Delight and Apple in a bag when I saw LWW and PC)

2. Has to be from the book

3. Has to be something they would keep in the film from the book.
(This is probably one of the hardest things, because we can't really guarantee all the foods from the book will make it into the film.)

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby icarus » Sep 25, 2009 1:14 pm

Though its not technically a "Narnian" food, i think the following quote from VDT is one of the most memorable food references in the entire series ;):

But Eustace made faces and spluttered and spat it out and was sick again and began to cry again and asked if they hadn't any Plumptree's Vitaminized Nerve Food and could it be made with distilled water and anyway he insisted on being put ashore at the next station.

Since it is one of the absolute classic Eustace moments, it simply has to be in the movie! Though seeing as how half the humor comes from the fact that no-one really seems to know what Plumptree's Vitiminized Nerve Food is anyway, you may struggle to replicate it! lol.

Im sure there must be some sort of modern day equivalent though. Or at least some regular food stuff that comes in an "added vitamins" variety, and requires the addition of water (remember distilled water though!) to make it. :)

Perhaps some Kool Aid with Vitamin C? You could make that with distilled water. lol
http://blogmeisterusa.mu.nu/archives/ko ... tGrape.gif
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks for reopening, EtJ!

For obvious reasons, most people can't (and in some theaters, aren't allowed to) bring a lot of food with them to the theater. But now that we have DvD's of LWW and PC, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a Narnian banquet that could be eaten while watching the film? What would be the first course? The main dish? Dessert? When would you eat it? -At what point in the movie, I mean.

This discussion is something akin to the "scented movies" topic, so I'm posting the link below.

http://www.narniaweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=383
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby caboo29 » Sep 25, 2009 2:15 pm

You could always go out and find a freshly dead dragon and eat it while dragon-Eustace eats his... :p

@icarus:
I love that part, Eustace has so many great lines in VDT I really hope they keep alot them, or at least stick to that kind of humor instead of adding in a bunch of other cheesy lines.
They know everything on Narniaweb. - Ben Barnes

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." - C.S. Lewis
caboo29
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Sep 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Oerk!!!grosss!! =))

What about some spiced wine? MUCH nicer than the Plumptree's Nerve tonic. You could just have a nice tasty drink like Dr Pepper....
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 25, 2009 3:17 pm

A drink would probably work well, I thought about salt water, that would be in the movie for sure, but I'm afraid I might be tempted to spit it out ;)

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Next