This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Watching Narnia with Narnian food

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Watching Narnia with Narnian food

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Sep 27, 2009 4:54 pm

For VDT - Here are some recipes for spiced "wine." That would be good to bring withe especially if you live in a place where it will be cold when VDT comes out.
Mulled Grape Juice
Author/Submitted by:
Servings: 4
Categories: Non-Alcoholic Beverages
Ingredients:
-JUDI M. PHELPS
2.00 c Unsweetened grape juice
1.00 c ;water
1.00 c Sugar
1.00 Cinnamon stick
6.00 Whole cloves
Juice of 1 lemon
http://www.floras-hideout.com/drrecipes ... rape_Juice

Ingredients
• 4 cups apple juice
• 2 cups black tea
• 2 Tablespoons sugar
• 1 lemon
• 1 orange
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 2 cloves
Procedure
1. Slowly heat the apple juice and tea in a pan.
2. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and orange, keeping the peels.
3. Add the lemon and orange juices, sugar, peels, and spices to the pan and heat without boiling.
4. Carefully strain the mixture through a sieve and serve.
Serves 4 to 6.
http://www.answers.com/topic/gl-hwein-1

Mulled Wine for Kids
by Maria Georgiou
Ingredients
• 2 liters non-alcoholic grape juice
• 2 cups water
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 dozen whole cloves
• 4 cinnamon sticks
• The peel of 1 orange and 1 lemon
• 1 crushed nutmeg seed
• 2-1/2 cups of hot lemon/lime juice
Cooking Instructions
1. Heat the water and add the sugar, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and peel.
2. Boil for 5 minutes and leave to simmer for 5 more.
3. Strain this syrup into a large pot and add the citrus juice, heat until it is gently bubbling.
4. Add the 2 litres of grape juice and keep the mixture on a low heat, serve with a slice of lemon.
http://recipes.kaboose.com/mulled-wine-for-kids.html

For eating / watching DVDs with food
LWW wouldn't be hard. Tea and Toast with sardines with Lucy and Tumnus (I don't remember if they had anything else in the movie. In the book I know they ate more. Turkish Delight with Edmund, Fish and chips with the Beavers, Toast with Edmund in Aslan's camp (They might have other food in that scene too.)
PC is a little more challenging. Apples with the children, Soup when Caspian wakes up, Nuts when Pattertwig suggests that they collect nuts (unless of course there are people present with nut allergies. Then it would be dangerous for them (sorry about the side note, but I'm allergic to peanuts and have found that many people don't think about how dangerous it can be for people with nut allergies to even be around them)). Although they don't show it in the movie, they did eat some of the bear Trumpkin killed so you could have bear then. Also, in the book they had a huge feast after the battle. So they main course could be taken from the description in the book and eaten after the battle. Or you could have fish while they are floating on the river.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby narnian1 » Sep 27, 2009 5:50 pm

the movie has them preparing for food with the beavers,
and I believe they eat prior to the explanation of who Aslan is and the prophecy.

I guess here would be a perfect place to eat fresh caught fish, that have been freshly cooked- as there is no better way to eat a fish, then one who was alive just half hour prior to you eating it.

(of course this would be rather difficult so a bought fish would have to do)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Cymru » Sep 28, 2009 8:43 am

My daughter loves to eat Turkish Delight during all the Narnia films, but we often make stew or something cozy and in keeping with the palette of an English pub when taking anything by C.S. Lewis or Tolkien. The site of people in plaid wool makes me instantly crave potatoes and red meat. The BBC scene in the Beavers house in which they dine on a huge platter of boiled potatoes and fried fish always makes my daugther say, "Hmm, I think we need some of that!"

My question is: how did the apple crunching go with neighboring moviegoers? That would be much louder than popcorn!
That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ~ F.Scott Fitzgerald
Cymru
Moderator Emeritus

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 28, 2009 12:31 pm

I started to gnawed at the apple a little bit, so when I bit into it, it wasn't very loud, If it was loud then hopefully they thought it was the sound of the apples in the movies ;)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady of the Green Kirtle » Sep 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Adeona wrote: I know that Lucy eats a lunch with Coriakin the Magician after disenchanting the Dufflepuds. I remember it was very English. *Gets book* Coriakin says "I have tried to give you food more like the food of your own land than perhaps you have had lately." The menu: a piping hot omelette, cold lamb and green peas, a strawberry ice (Yum! You could do strawberry ice cream. But you would have to have a cooler or it would melt before this scene!), a lemon-squash drink during the meal and hot chocolate afterword.

Maybe you could substitute Gyros for cold lamb ;) . The book also said they had (live) chickens on the boat, you could get some KFC!
That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. -Puddleglum
Lady of the Green Kirtle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Peepiceeka » Oct 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Something that the Beavers also ate with the Pevensies was some sort of "Gloriously sticky marmalade roll, piping hot." :) I don't really know what to compare that with...perhaps something like a cinnamon roll with marmalade inside of it? :-\ Or maybe something similar to a cake. ;) Fish 'n Chips is really easy to make, or you could most likely purchase it at a restaurant depending on where you live. Tea is probably the universal drink that would be good to go with almost all of the books, but creamy milk is what the Pevensies drank with the Beavers during their meal. :)
Peepiceeka
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NaiadWaker » Oct 01, 2009 8:03 pm

What I Would Eat For Each Movie:
MN: Apples, with tin-foil around them :D
LWW: Turkish Delight, or for watching it again, toast ;)
HHB: An omelet
PC: Apples, or coffee (that's what the Pevensie boys wanted in the book)
VDT: Strawberry Ice-Maybe could be substituted for a Strawberry Icee, which they usually have at theaters.
SC: Um, you could have venison, but I would get sick at the thought that I'm eating it while they find out it used to talk. Blech. You could... oh! Lollipops! Giant ones.
LB: Sweet fruit.

But I don't think my theater allows us to bring food. :(( Oh, well, when I get the DVDs... But I guess I can still do the Strawberry Ice(e).
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby AJAiken » Oct 02, 2009 8:27 am

There's one other meal in VDT that people don't seem to have mentioned. Right at the end Edmund, Lucy and Eustace meet a lamb who invites them to eat a breakfast of fresh fire-roasted fish. I can't see that going down well in a cinema, though ... ;)
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Previous