This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

VDT: Minotaurs vs. the sea serpent

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

VDT: Minotaurs vs. the sea serpent

Postby StBrianofMinneapolis » Sep 10, 2009 10:38 pm

I have been thinking that the Minotaur (or two) on the ship might provide a more capable strength in the scene where the crew is trying to push the serpent's coils off the ship.

I always felt that it was kind of silly that a crew of mere men might be able to hoist up the coils of a large serpent just by pushing or pulling. Think about t, the serpent was probably capable of crushing and or sinking a large vessel. How could ordinary humans stand any chance of achieveing anything.

Maybe I have misunderstood the scene, but I am pretty sure the object was to continually push the serpent's coils towards the rear of the ship.

Given by what we saw Asterius do with the gate during the castle raid in PC, a Minotaur would be much more helpful, and would add some "realism" to the scene, even if Minotaurs weren't in the book.
StBrianofMinneapolis
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: VDT: Minotaurs vs. the sea serpent

Postby Glumpuddle » Sep 10, 2009 10:52 pm

Dude, that's the whole point of the scene! You think they're screwed, and then the solution turns out to be to not fight. It's a totally unexpected anticlimactic ending to the scene. Reepicheep shouting "Don't fight!"

I'm gonna be mad if they end up defeating the serpent through actual fighting. Lewis did something original and creative. Please don't turn it into something cliche!
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 10, 2009 11:52 pm

Yeah they definitely shouldn’t actually fight the Sea Serpent. But Minotaur’s would add some extra strength to the crew.
Although I don’t know if they could push the Sea Serpent very well if their hoofs are slipping all over the deck.
And they have to keep that line from Reepicheep in the movie, that’s one of my favorite quotes in Dawn Treader. :)
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby StBrianofMinneapolis » Sep 11, 2009 7:01 am

Maybe, I was unclear. In no way do I want a fight to occur. I am simply realizing that some extra strength would be handy.

I honestly feel that a group of men could have little to no affect on the coil of a huge sea serpent, even if they were just pushing it left or right. To try and push it upwards over the stern of the ship. This has actually been one of the things in Narnia that is too fantastic for me to accept.

I do wonder if Lewis concieved of a much smaller serpent than I have.
StBrianofMinneapolis
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 11, 2009 5:55 pm

This is what I hope they do:
I want them to attempt to fight the Sea Serpent, but fail to do anything, as in the book, with Reep shouting not to fight. So, if everyone who watches VDT has seen PC or LWW, they'll most likely remember that minotaurs are strong. If the Sea Serpent is too strong for even the minotaurs to fight, it will bolden the fact that the Sea Serpent is very relentless.
So, keep to the book.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Bother Eustace » Sep 15, 2009 7:27 pm

Seems to me everyone's misinterpreting StBrianofMinneapolis, he didn't say the minotaurs should fight the serpent; only that their strength would help push it off. Let's not attack him for merely suggesting what Lewis wrote into the book with the addition of creatures we already know are in the film!!! ;)

However, there may be more of a battle than was in the book, even if we beg them not to have one. Hopefully that battle will end the way the book ends it, though. Of course we do want Eustace to ruin one of Caspian's best swords; that's a classic moment that has to be in the movie. (Interestingly scary thought on that... Peter gave Rhindon to Caspian at the end of PC, right? *gulp* let's hope that's not the one he hands to Eustace... :-s )
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby adamie » Sep 16, 2009 10:59 am

I don't want them to fight the sea serpent, but you might be right, it could look kind of silly in a movie to push this giant snake, where it works fine in the book, I think. But with the minotaurs it might look better. As long as they do not defeat it by fighting, I'm happy for now! :D
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut