This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Caspian and Edmund Swordfighting

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Caspian and Edmund Swordfighting

Postby Talking Rat » Jan 06, 2010 1:58 pm

ouch. good point. :-s Maybe it's the filmmakers who need to have more respect for Peter's character!
He's not a tame lion, but he's good.
Av by hyaline12
Talking Rat
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Galadriel » Jan 06, 2010 3:12 pm

I wonder, how does Aragorn still show respect for his sword in a way that Caspian doesn't? Aragorn still uses his sword; the rallying cry in Helm's Deep of the sword that was broken returning to battle comes to my mind. Perhaps Rilian means that Caspian shouldn't be using it in a playful spar, if that is indeed what this scene is all about. What is wrong with Caspian using Peter's sword, since Peter gave it to him? After the single combat, Peter hands Caspian Rhindon to finish off Miraz. Mightn't Peter have been insulted if Caspian handed it back to him and said, "No, I can't use your sword"? Also, did Peter give Rhindon to Caspian to keep or did he merely borrow it to him? If he gave him the sword to keep, then it is Caspian's right to use it whenever he wishes!

Now, to add something in contrast to what I just said: I really do like Lucy P.'s post. Is it the sword we admire, or that which it defends? (I think that's a LOTR quote? :-\ )
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lucy P. » Jan 07, 2010 9:31 am

It sounds like an LOTR quote to me. :)

You know, I thought of another reason for Ed having Rhindon. Maybe Ben wanted a coffee break and gave the sword to Skandar to hold. :P
We really just have no idea right now about anything. Maybe the trailer will bring some clarification.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Lucy P.: um, I don't think Ben just gave Skandar Rhindon to hold because of a coffee break. in one of the pictures from the production, Edmund has Rhindon on his belt. so I am assuming that Skandar is going to use Peter's sword during the movie.....
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby daughter of the King » Jan 07, 2010 4:37 pm

One thought I had that randomly popped into my head awhile ago:
In the book, it is stated that Caspian gives Eustace his second-best sword. What is the significance of this? It means that Caspian had at least two swords. He gives Eustace his second-best one, probably the one he already had, and now uses his best sword instead, which would be Rhindon in the movie. This explains why he is using Rhindon in a spar rather than his own sword. Does that make sense, or should I ignore random thoughts in the future?
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 09, 2010 9:10 am

daughter of the king: that is a very good point! one I have thought about myself, actually! having Peter's sword as Caspian's best sword.....and Eustace could break his old sword from PC!
this still doesn't explain why Edmund apears to have Rhindon too.....
:)
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Jan 09, 2010 11:54 am

Lady Galadriel wrote: What is wrong with Caspian using Peter's sword, since Peter gave it to him? After the single combat, Peter hands Caspian Rhindon to finish off Miraz.

Actually, Caspian uses Miraz's sword to "finish off" Miraz. When Miraz gets back up to attack, Peter twists the sword around to Miraz, injuring him. He then(after a few words w/ Miraz) hands Miraz's sword to Caspian.(see picture below)

I do agree that since Peter gives the sword Rhindon to Caspian that Caspian can use it. Although, I do believe it should be treated with respect and dignitiy, not to be used commonly; like in friendly spurs.

caspian_miraz.jpg
caspian_miraz.jpg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 8667 times
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Galadriel » Jan 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Sorry. My mistake. :( Thanks for the picture! :) I think what I was trying to say came across, though. Wouldn't Peter be insulted if Caspian said he wouldn't use Rhindon (when he gives it to him at the end)?
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 16, 2010 11:56 pm

I wonder when this is going to take place in the movie. I really can't wait.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Varnafinde » Jan 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Lady Galadriel wrote:Now, to add something in contrast to what I just said: I really do like Lucy P.'s post. Is it the sword we admire, or that which it defends? (I think that's a LOTR quote? :-\ )

Indeed :)

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor;

Faramir in The Window on the West, LotR

So perhaps it would be a waste of a good sword not to use it to defend anything, but to put it in a museum?
And if Caspian is using Rhindon, especially if it is his best sword, he would need to practise with it sometimes as well - as in a friendly fight with Edmund to test his current skills.
Aragorn didn't keep his ancestor's sword in a museum, he even carried it - and eventually he had it remade and started using it in earnest.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Bookwyrm » Jan 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Honestly, what is everyone expecting Caspian to do, put Rhindon on a nice altar and have High King Peter worship services every Sunday? :P
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Bookwyrm: that's the last thing Caspian would do..... :)

I am glad that they are having Rhindon being used. if it was stowed away, it would almost be like distrespect for Peter's sword! Peter is, after all, the High King of Narnia!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Previous