This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Caspian and Edmund Swordfighting

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Caspian and Edmund Swordfighting

Postby narnialover101 » Sep 09, 2009 8:10 am

In the latest news Tamara reported that a scene is being filmed on the Dawn Treader in which Caspian and Edmund are swordfighting. According the the news it was just a friendly skirmish:
Tamara wrote: They were filming a sword fighting scene but it looked like a playful fight because all the Narnian crew were egging them on and cheering and clapping at the end.

While I think there is an ever so slight possiblity that it isn't, I'm mostly convinced that it must be; if you look at THIS picture you'll see the crew is smiling as they watch Caspian and Edmund fight.

I feel like a playful fight is a good idea; perhaps a gimmick to get more action in the movie, yes, but I'd rather it be in this sort of way then in some angsty teenage duel or epic underwater battle. Besides that I feel like a friendly skirmish is realistically something the Narnians would have done for entertainment.

Perhaps this accounts for some of the rumors of "pitched battles" and Caspian/Edmund tension?

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Re: Caspian and Edmund Swordfighting

Postby ForeverFan » Sep 09, 2009 8:23 am

I think it will be an interesting addition- if, of course, it if just a friendly battle. (But so far, I have many reasons to believe it is, so I'm not too worried). If it's not, however, I won't like it, as it probably means there'd be more then just this little duel/battle thing, running throughout the movie.

I think it'd be great if it did account for the pitched battles...although, why would Ben use that term for something like a friendly duel?
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 09, 2009 8:38 am

Interesting! Glad to see that it's a friendly duel by all accounts; I don't think I could handle another petulant "Who's da man?" kind of duel that we had in PC on nearly multiple occasions. ;))

A bit bummed to see that Caspian is using Rhindon; I was really hoping he'd retire that thing in state and use a different sword. But, I guess not... :p

Also, in the news story you can see a pic of Lucy climbing the stairs into the boat for filming. I don't think that's Georgie; the profile is all wrong. Stand-in or photo double, perhaps?
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby starkat » Sep 09, 2009 8:54 am

List of theories for why they are swinging their swords

Since Edmund's been away, he may want to sharpen his fighting skills.

Training in general to keep the boredom away.

It is after the un-dragoning and they are showing Eustace the proper way to hold his sword.

Maybe the "pitched battle" comment has something to do with Deathwater?
starkat

Postby Lirenel » Sep 09, 2009 9:19 am

Starkat, I like the idea of them showing Eustace the proper way to swordfight. Or, maybe, at the beginning Caspian might make a friendly joke about rusty skills and Edmund shows him what for in a friendly duel. Either way works for me. Honestly, I don't even mind if this isn't a friendly swordfight, as long as I get to see Edmund using a sword...and hopefully win.
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

My overview of VODT: http://lady-lirenel.livejournal.com/151965.html
Lirenel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby GlimGlum » Sep 09, 2009 9:24 am

narnialover101 wrote: I feel like a playful fight is a good idea; perhaps a gimmick to get more action in the movie, yes, but I'd rather it be in this sort of way then in some angsty teenage duel or epic underwater battle. Besides that I feel like a friendly skirmish is realistically something the Narnians would have done for entertainment.

That sums up my interpretation of this scene. Looks like Caspian and Edmund are engaging in a friendly bit of swordplay for the benefit of themselves and the crew. Will be interesting to see what brings it on. /:)

I like the idea of such a scene. :ymapplause:
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby caboo29 » Sep 09, 2009 9:47 am

If this is towards the beginnning, I can see Eustace being totally appalled at this. "Fighting with swords, for fun?!?" :-o haha Should make for a funny moment. Seeing as Eustace has been brought up all spoiled and babied, and never reading the right books about swords and dragons and such.

Love all these new smilies by the way! :p

Edit:
Also, in the news story you can see a pic of Lucy climbing the stairs into the boat for filming. I don't think that's Georgie; the profile is all wrong. Stand-in or photo double, perhaps?

Yeah, that is definitely not Georgie, wonder why they might need a stunt double for her... :-\
They know everything on Narniaweb. - Ben Barnes

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." - C.S. Lewis
caboo29
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glumpuddle » Sep 09, 2009 11:12 am

We're gonna be forever analyzing this of course, but my guess is that it's only a brief scene.

I hope Ben has been practicing, Skandar was the most believable fighter in PC, and Ben was perhaps the least believable.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby icarus » Sep 09, 2009 11:40 am

Perhaps they originally wrote the scene as an "Edmund Vs Trumpkin: Round 2" scene. ;)

Although i'm mostly joking, its perhaps something i could of seen them doing had they kept Trumpkin in the movie - Trumpkin fancying his chances at a rematch, and a bit of playful fighting ensuing on deck.

Edmund vs Caspian though - sure, why not. As long as it is just a playful fight, then absolutely no problem.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ceppault » Sep 09, 2009 11:51 am

... a brief scene as a precursor to Eustace being challenged by Reepicheep? :D
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Pomely » Sep 09, 2009 12:37 pm

I'm sure it's a playful fight, can't wait to see it in the film. And yeah, I don't think that's Georgie, Gymfan15, sure doesn't look like her.
Pomely
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby icarus » Sep 09, 2009 12:48 pm

A very interesting idea Ceppault. I could very much see that being the case.

There is a video of the scene on YouTube by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuOR06Xi4ZU

How does that new "Youtube" button/tag on the forum work? I assume it allows you to have the video embedded in the thread?

EDIT:

icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 09, 2009 1:38 pm

well would ya look at that, Edmund and Caspian are sparring. this must be one of those scenes that Ben joked in an interview about the kids.... raining on his parade (he said it the British slang way, just clarified it for the rest of the non-British slang speaking world ;) )

sure its not in the book, but i like the physical, and hopefully, verbal, sparring that they can muster up between Caspian and Edmund. both Ben and Skandar excel in that kind of banter offscreen anyway so it would be a boon to have them do that onscreen. and its not like its gonna be out of character, there’s bound to be some pretty good ribbing going on– Edmund is now the only remaining Kings of old, is technically older than Caspian, but still looks every bit like the Telmarine’s junior. it would be nice to have fun with that dynamic

ceppault wrote:... a brief scene as a precursor to Eustace being challenged by Reepicheep? :D

LOL! quite possibly. maybe Eustace fancies on a sword when he thinks he's alone, swinging it about then nicks Reep accidentally (or clumsily)?

i just realized the comedy potential of this entire cast. i dont want them to go overboard with the laughs but i really dont mind some humor sprinkled between the awe-inspiring magic and seriously dark elements.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 09, 2009 1:54 pm

icarus wrote:A very interesting idea Ceppault. I could very much see that being the case.

There is a video of the scene on YouTube by the way:

How does that new "Youtube" button/tag on the forum work? I assume it allows you to have the video embedded in the thread?

Icarus, you just copy the ID tag in between the Youtube tags, like this:

Code: Select all
[youtube]wuOR06Xi4ZU[/youtube

Thanks for the link, btw! My computer's sound system is blown so I'm off to find a computer that I can use to watch the video with sound. The clip looks nice; they're sure going at it fast!
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby icarus » Sep 09, 2009 2:19 pm

Ah right. Got it. Thanks very much Gymfan! I'll remember that for next time! :)

EDIT: Might go give it a try actually..... ;)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 09, 2009 2:22 pm

icarus wrote:There is a video of the scene on YouTube by the way:

great find there Icarus! how do you manage to find these things? :))

that vid definitely confirms thats its just some spirited sparring between Edmund and Caspian. and those are some moves on Edmund isnt it? :-bd looks like its gonna be a lot faster and more complex than what we saw between Edmund and Trumpkin. now this is one sword fight i'm looking forward to seeing in the movie for sure!

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Next