This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ideas for The Magician's Nephew

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Ideas for The Magician's Nephew

Postby EtJ » Feb 28, 2011 8:56 am

In case you haven't seen it, NarniaWeb has received a report confirming that producers are planning for The Magician's Nephew!! This is the thread in which you can discuss your particular wish lists for the movie adaptation of The Magician's Nephew. What scenes from the book are you most anticipating seeing on the big screen? Who would you like to see bring your favorite characters to life? What quotes from the book are you most longing to hear? What must they get right, and what is less important?

Please note that as this is Walden's confirmed plan, discussion about whether or not The Silver Chair should be next is inappropriate. Also, please remember the forum's Respect Rule:
NarniaWeb Forum Rules
1.) Speak respectfully of other NarniaWebbers, public figures, and corporations. You should be fair in your statements about people and companies. Always assume that the person you are discussing can read every word you type — because, of course, he or she can and many people involved with the Narnia productions do. Do not flame other members, and do avoid hateful and inflammatory language. Extreme statements like these are not welcome here:

• Disney/Fox is greedy, evil, and/or always makes lousy movies.
• The cast is ugly.
• The sky is falling because someone in the movie production said something I don't like.
• The sky is falling because anyone is daring to make a movie at all.
• Your ideas are stupid/immature.
• My ideas are better than yours.

I hope you enjoy the discussion and the ride as our journey officially begins to the 4th movie in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew.
"To the Great Western Wood, I give you...."
EtJ
Moderator Emeritus
Mad Mod of GMD and G&B

Re: Ideas for The Magician's Nephew

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Feb 28, 2011 9:15 am

Some things I can't wait to see!

- The scene where Jadis is awakened
- Any scenes with Uncle Andrew
- Jadis in London (I kind of hope they expand on this part, since it would probably be really exciting when translated to film)
- All the different locations! (Uncle Andrew's study, the wood between the worlds, charn, and of course Narnia when it is being created!)
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepicheep775 » Feb 28, 2011 9:52 am

Man. I'm still making the grinding transition from The Silver Chair th The Magician's Nephew, but I'll post some ideas with better formulated thoughts later.

It's nearly certain that the budget will be 140M or under, so they need to be carful where they spend their money. The one scene they cannot skimp on is the Creation of Narnia. It's an important scene, but it would also look ridiculous if it isn't given appropriate care. The transitions between worlds should be kept simple. The descriptions in the books have great potential, but this I'd rather the film-makers spend their money elsewhere. Charn could look very well with a good amount of money (think the "limbo dream" from Inception), but it doesn't need to be too ambitious. Basically, the film-makers shouldn't bite off more than they can chew with a limited budget.

I really want them to get the garden scene right where Jadis tempts Digory into taking the apple to his mother. I love how Jadis twists things around to make it seem like doing the wrong thing is right and vice versa. That is the scene that is most important to me.

Other than that, the usual:
-No battles (except the Fight at the Lamppost)
-No... what should I call it... Pollery?
-Trust in the book as a beloved classic and be faithful to it.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ChristProclamer » Feb 28, 2011 10:02 am

Yes, definitely no 'Pollory'. Or, Digolly. Wow, those two make a horrible pairing... =))

-I hope that they don't skimp on Aslan this time. Even though he is the most expensive character in the films, he really is the heart and soul of the film this time; nothing goes right at all until Aslan shows up.

-I also hope that they don't skimp out on Fledge; I cannot wait to see the scene where Digory and Polly fly over Narnia on his back! That is definitely an iconic moment for Narnia; It's one of the most popular of all Pauline Baynes' illustrations.

-And I can't wait to see Charn. I hope the Hall of Images is preserved (ha ha, get it, preserved?) as much as possible, though I think that could be expensive, too.

Budget? I think it ought to be more than VDT's was. The success of VDT I think merits at least a slight raise in budget. Release date? December 2013. I think 2012 is too early to hope for by now.

Cast? Asa Butterfield as Digory. Someone new for Jadis (possibly to morph into Jadis later). And a new director.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Feb 28, 2011 11:08 am

I want Tilda to play Jadis. As for director, Adamson. Everything else... don't really mind as long as its good. Preferably unknown actors for the kids. Oh and I hope they show the Wardrobe at the end. And there must be an opening credits sequence and a scene after the ending credits!
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Shastafan » Feb 28, 2011 12:43 pm

I still think Tilda should be Jadis. Maybe if we're lucky, this'll be her last appearance... ;;)

For the film itself, I beg with all my life that they get Digory's emotions and feelings done right. I think Digory's arch with his dying mother reallys attracts me to the book. This better be done right. The same goes for the Creation of Narnia. They need to do this well, since this scene is a great beginning of Narnia.

For the director, I think we should get someone new this time. I think both Adamson and Apted have projects that they're working on while this film will be in production. Whoever it is needs to be really excited to make this book into a movie, and wants to keep it as close to the book as possible. New screenwriters might be nice, too. As for actors, I yet again want barely known to unknown actors to play the kids. For Uncle Andrew, they need someone who can play evil and yet play wimpy.

I hope they don't try to add in fighting scenes (only if it works and makes sense to be placed in) or big plots (please, no! :-s ), and if they had cameos of other characters (like the Pevensies, Eustace, etc.), as long as it worked well, I'd be fine. The main themes of the book should shine out perfectly here. Also, they must show us the connections to LWW, like the Lampost, Wardrobe, and who Digory becomes.

I'll likely post more sometime, but I still need to get over the fact that we're actually going to see this. May the spectulation continue! ;)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian_at_heart » Feb 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Yay, I'm so excited that it's certain they'll make the next movie! I was kind of hoping for SC next but, oh well, I'm not too dissapointed.

I really hope they do a decent job of the creating Narnia scene and it doesn't look super fake or badly done.

Also, I really hope there is no Digolly. That would be just horrible! I agree, those two names just do not make a good pairing.

I hope the scenes where Digory and Polly are going from one world to the next are good. I hope they do the things that Polly and Digory see and experience well.

Shastafan wrote:and if they had cameos of other characters (like the Pevensies, Eustace, etc.), as long as it worked well, I'd be fine.

I think that'd be kind of tough to do well considering the Pevensies and Eustace are at least 50 years from being born. I suppose they could show the part at the end where

the tree falls down and is made into the wardrobe

and then maybe a quick glimpse of Lucy opening the wardrobe. It would be difficult, I think, to put the Pevensies in without it feeling forced. And I don't think they could put Eustace in at all without it being bad.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ChristProclamer » Feb 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Some people have pointed out that the continuity of the series will be all mixed up now, and casual audiences might have a bit of a problem with that. I have to say, they do have a point there.

I wouldn't mind the whole film being done as a flashback, or a story told; start in 1940's England with Jim Broadbent (Old Digory) and maybe Georgie Henley (maybe). Have Digory be telling the story, and in that way show how it all connects together. Then at the end it would go back and show Broadbent and the wardrobe. Something like that.

I think it is important that it is shown how all the films tie together, and I think that's the best way to do that. The books are told in a very narrative style, so I don't think it would feel forced to have Jim Broadbent narrate the thing, as long as the narrative didn't intrude on the actual story.

Just trying to come up with solutions to continuity issues...
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Trufflehunter » Feb 28, 2011 1:37 pm

I think the biggest problem now is that they will have to somehow alter SC's plot when they return to it after MN.

At first I was thinking that it would be great if Jill was somehow introduced in MN and went with Eustace to see the Professor, who then told them all about Narnia's creation. But then I realized that I wouldn't want to have to watch MN between VDT and SC. That would be kind of ridiculous.

I think that MN could benefit from having a narrator, but I don't want that to disrupt the continuity and flow of the film series as a whole.

Some scenes I want to be perfect in the film:
-transition between worlds through the pools in The Wood Between The Worlds (I often thought it might be cool if the traveler's bodies were semi-distorted as they traveled through the pool. think of characters apparating in the Harry Potter movies!)
-Aslan's creation of Narnia, and Aslan and Narnia in general!
-Jadis in London! (I too hope this scene is expanded on as it has much potential)
-Flight on Fledge (They had the characters fly on griffins and Lucy and Susan ride on Aslan's back, so it shouldn't be a problem. But I hope that this sequence is breathtaking as they fly above the mountains and soar across valleys!)
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Reepicheep775 » Feb 28, 2011 1:54 pm

ChristProclamer wrote:Some people have pointed out that the continuity of the series will be all mixed up now, and casual audiences might have a bit of a problem with that. I have to say, they do have a point there.

I wouldn't mind the whole film being done as a flashback, or a story told; start in 1940's England with Jim Broadbent (Old Digory) and maybe Georgie Henley (maybe). Have Digory be telling the story, and in that way show how it all connects together. Then at the end it would go back and show Broadbent and the wardrobe. Something like that.

I think it is important that it is shown how all the films tie together, and I think that's the best way to do that. The books are told in a very narrative style, so I don't think it would feel forced to have Jim Broadbent narrate the thing, as long as the narrative didn't intrude on the actual story.

Just trying to come up with solutions to continuity issues...

I actually think it would be neat if the audience didn't know who Digory was until the end. Everything would all fall into place at once.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TheGeneral » Feb 28, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm most looking forward to the scene when Narnia is created. I'd have to force myself not to expect it to be as amazing as it is in my mind though. ;)
Also the scene in Charn, very nice and spooky.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Umbarto » Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm

I just really hope they make this movie without the radical changes they made to the last two movies. MN is my favorite of the books, so i'll be extremely disappointed if they can't get it right. I think more than anything, the movie NEEDS new writers and a new director who actually cares for the book. I personally don't think that Adamson or Apted are right for this movie, so i'm really hoping that neither of them direct it. Adamson would be better suited for HHB though.
‘Then rightly you game the name to the youngest of your children,’ said Ambarussa, ‘and Umbarto “the Fated” was its true form.’ –The Shibboleth of Fëanor.
Umbarto
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Valiant » Feb 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Wow, this is suprising news! I am a little disappointed and very excited. I am disappointed because I was looking forward to SC which is one of my favorites out of the Chronicles, and because I wanted to see more of Will Poulter! However at the same time I am excited because firstly we will be having another Narnia film and because MN has never been filmed before!

Since I was thinking more about SC, I am unsure as to what details I would like to see in MN as a film. However just off the top of my head:

-They have to get the creation of Narnia right. That is crucial. I want it to be breath taking and emotional.
-The film has to take time to develop characters and plot. I don't want to see MN paced like VDT. Personally I feel there would be no point in making MN if it is going to be as rushed as VDT.
-The script has to be tight. The dialogue can't be clumsy.
-They really have to develop Digory's internal conflict and character. MN doesn't have battles and won't need any if the characters and their personal conflicts are well though out and expanded upon.

However, for sure, there had to be an improvment on the mechanics of the films (dialogue, acting, pacing, directing, etc.)

Of course, once I gather my thoughts and reread MN, I'll have a more detailed view on what I would like to see in the film.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepicheep775 » Feb 28, 2011 6:52 pm

^ I finished reading The Magician's Nephew a few weeks ago. Darn. I'm going to have to wait for a speculative re-read for a while.

And allow me to give a hearty 'amen' to a new director and new writer... at least from The Voayge of the Dawn Treader. I actually wouldn't mind if Andrew Adamson returned.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby puddleglum32 » Feb 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Yes he adapted the books very well and he had you on the edge of you seat.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Umbarto » Feb 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Reepicheep, I think that whatever else, the film desperately needs new writers. Even if we don't get a new director.

As for the film itself, i'm most looking forward to the locations: charn, the wood between the worlds, the garden, and even uncle andrew's study. They all have the potential to be fascinating, beautiful, mysterious, and intimidating in their own ways.

Story-wise, i'm eagerly anticipating the confrontation between Jadis and Digory. If done correctly, the scene should be especially poignant and moving, and the audience should be struggling right along with Digory.
‘Then rightly you game the name to the youngest of your children,’ said Ambarussa, ‘and Umbarto “the Fated” was its true form.’ –The Shibboleth of Fëanor.
Umbarto
NarniaWeb Regular

Next